Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Removal - Clean Oil Cooler and Replace AC Condenser - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Bumper Removal - Clean Oil Cooler and Replace AC Condenser - suggestions?

I took a few hours this past Saturday to remove bumper, oil cooler and ac condenser. After some searching, i did not find much other than... 'it's really easy to do' . And that may be just the case if you have a hoist and know where all the screws are located.

So from memory:

Front Bumper Removal

1. remove all screws from under the front that connects to the two black plastic covers - about 10 philips screws
2. remove all screws from the fender well - about 5 on each side, assuming you wish to remove the fender well plastic also
3. look under the car and you'll find 3 x 8mm head screws that connect the left side bumper to the upper metal fender - need to be lying on your back and looking straight into the 'cavity' where the 3 x 8mm screws go through a slightly curved metal bar that measures about 18" long
4. At this point you should be able to ease the bumper forward.
5. I have the headlight washers so i disconnected (and don't plan to reconnect) the clamps and eased the washers heads off
6. unplugged 3 marker light / fog light connections

Off came the bumper

Condenser removal

1. remove the carrying frame with 3 x 13mm head nuts
2. ease the condenser down
3. disconnect the fan - four nuts - two of mine are broken so cut off the tie wrap from previous repair
4. disconnect the two connectors with 19mm and 22mm wrench - and a trusty vice grip to counter hold - 19mm crowfoot worked well here

Oil cooler removal

1. remove the fan - about 4 nuts
2. disconnect fan - clip off two tie wraps / zip ties
3. disconnect the oil cooler holder to provide more space to get wrenches in
3. oil cooler requires - 32 mm and 27 mm wrenches to counter hold and remove - i used a 32 mm big wrench, and had a thin 32mm wrench and an adjustable wrench for the 27mm and there was enough space

Hope that helps.

Taking the oil cooler to flush out metal debris aka self machined connecting rod bearings.

Any suggestions on other ways to flush out metal bits and pieces out of my oil system?

I had lots of metal stuck to the magnetic oil drain plug and have a magnet on my oil filter
Old 04-22-2016, 08:40 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

When I removed my 911 cooler and lines I used a solvent tank system to flush it, aka Safety Kleen type (had a barrel of solvent with a sink on the top and a pump that circulates the solvent).

The key is to use "new" solvent (sometimes called Stoddard; mineral spirits).

Some solvent tanks have filters but not many. When we use to remanufacture power steering products we designed our own system.

The key is use fresh or new solvents and inspect what comes out with magnifying glass or loop, here we use 5x.

Blow out the tank and lines with air.
Leaving things sit in the hot sun for a few hours helps to quickly evaporate residual solvent.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Removal - Clean Oil Cooler and Replace AC Condenser - suggestions?