calling wiring experts !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 09:40 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default calling wiring experts !!

All,

in the interests of total transparency, I have found a slight issue with my car since the HID headlights install. It may or may not be related, but would seem that it is. It would also seem to be unique to my car as the supplier has told me he has not heard of it before.

I noticed that my Rev counter stopped working on the way to work. I thought this was strange, but given it is an old car - things happen.

When I got in the car to go home in the afternoon, it was working again?

Again, thought it might be something on the way out.

Then, half way home it occurred to me that I had driven to work when it was dark (early morning) and wondered if that had anything to do with it.

So, I turned on my headlights on the way home and sure enough, the Rev counter stopped and went back to zero !! Oddly enough, turning the lights off again did NOT make the Rev counter start up again, it was still at Zero.

When I got home, I turned off the car and then started it again - and the Rev counter started working. Clearly, there is a problem with the lights - but not quite sure what? Maybe they are drawing too many amps?

It would appear that this only happens when lights are on full (2nd position), when I turn the light on to parking lights (one click) the REV counter is unaffected.

The lights are 35 Watt, so that should not be a problem, but as mentioned above, maybe an amps thing. Nothing else seems affected. It's not going to stop me driving the car, but sure would be helpful if someone on here might suggest what to look for ! (updated headlight relay? resistor?)
Old 09-01-2015, 09:09 AM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Default HID Lights

HID cause problems for the 964. Mine did. Your HID installer should swap out the igniters or ballasts. Typical one of those buggers is causing the problem.
I my case it was a igniter, with a swap it was fixed. Also making sure the high frequency voltage igniters and ballasts are isolated from 964 frame is key to a good working HID set-up.
Cheers
Old 09-01-2015, 01:40 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

oh oh...i hope i dont have problems with mine
Old 09-01-2015, 02:33 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

erratic rev counter can be a symptom of the alternator on its way out
Old 09-01-2015, 02:53 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I would suggest wiring a relay to power the ballasts just like most people do with the H5 conversion. Ballasts cause a large power draw on initial start up and can cause all sorts of issues with sensitive electronics.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:44 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GazC2
erratic rev counter can be a symptom of the alternator on its way out
Ah, interesting and did think of this - however, when I turn the lights back off again, the Rev counter does NOT start working. Only when I turn the car off, then back on, does the Rev Counter work.

Originally Posted by islandsnow
oh oh...i hope i dont have problems with mine
I am sure you won't - the supplier said this was the first he has heard of this.

Originally Posted by 92C2Targa#119
HID cause problems for the 964. Mine did. Your HID installer should swap out the igniters or ballasts. Typical one of those buggers is causing the problem.
I my case it was a igniter, with a swap it was fixed. Also making sure the high frequency voltage igniters and ballasts are isolated from 964 frame is key to a good working HID set-up.
Cheers
Thanks for this - I think this might be the most likely cause and sounds the most plausible. Now, to work out which one !!

Originally Posted by onceover
I would suggest wiring a relay to power the ballasts just like most people do with the H5 conversion. Ballasts cause a large power draw on initial start up and can cause all sorts of issues with sensitive electronics.
There is actually already a relay in this wiring loom setup to power the ballasts - but thank you for the suggestion.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:07 PM
islandsnow
Racer

any conclusion on what the problem was?
Old 10-01-2015, 04:16 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have not had any issues after 4 months use, I did swap out the ballast for a much better quality pair...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-55W-HID...item20f2af2af6

these are the best. waterproof, fast, low interference, you can feel the difference in the quality. Mounted under the fenders either side.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:32 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

I have a new set of ballast to try , but haven't installed them yet. I also bought a full rebuild kit for the alternator as I figured I might as well do that at the same time.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:23 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Any news if the ballast was the issue?
Old 10-20-2015, 09:00 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by islandsnow
Any news if the ballast was the issue?
haven't swapped it out yet ! It is daylight savings here now in Oz and light in the morning and at afternoon when I come home, so haven't had to use the headlights (out of sight, out of mind) - but planning to do it soon. Will update when I do

Quick Reply: calling wiring experts !!