Sponsored by:

How good is the AC when at best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:30 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
I had mine converted to 134a earlier this year. I had a squirrel cage that was rattling. When he got down there he said it had a leak and now would be a good time to convert . It has never seemed as cold as it was before. Any reason for this?
So what component was leaking and was said component repaired or replaced to fix the leak?
Old 07-23-2015, 02:47 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

After getting my '92, the evaporator had to be replaced due to a slow leak. Refilled with R-12 and the system works VERY well !
Make sure your condensor is clean for best results...
Old 07-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Original AC here and over 100 day and night for 4 months out of the year. I drive the 964 daily without window tinting and it can be done. Whoever tells you it's not possible hasn't tried everything.

Some tips:
1/ make sure ALL parts of the AC work as intended
2/ use it often (even in the winter)
3/ park in the shade (this is a major difference)
4/ I recommend tinting the windows (clear tint helps too, so no need to go dark)
5/ avoid sitting still in traffic (it makes a huge difference in cooling performance when driving)

And you can always go for better cooling performance in the after market.

Don't let people scare you off, just prove them wrong!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by jpar
I retrofitted my car to 134a when I got it two years ago. It usually blows ice cold when the weather is the high 80's. This past sunday, I drove 80 miles to a porsche concours in Ct. It was fine in the morning on the way up, but on the way back it was struggling to stay cool. It was nearly 100 and 200% humidity, probably the hottest day I've ever driven the car. I'm not sure if this is normal or if I have an issue, maybe someone from the south will chime in. On positive note, my oil temp stayed pretty low considering the heat and occasional traffic .
Were you at the Norwalk event? The drive home was brutally hot close to 100. The later 964's came with R134 standard. Both my 93 and 94 have it. The condensers are different and work better than a revised R12. I had to admit the car was cool and comfortable the whole drive home until we hit bad traffic by the Tappan Zee Bridge. Was good for about 15 min in traffic and then I started to notice the temps rise so I shut it off and opened the windows.

So if your driving there fine if sitting in traffic they are a huge draw on the engines. I find my C2 gets hot less quickly than the turbo but turbos always run hotter.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:08 PM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine's good until it hits 100 which it does here in Florida. Then I just try to keep it rolling.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:22 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
I had mine converted to 134a earlier this year. I had a squirrel cage that was rattling. When he got down there he said it had a leak and now would be a good time to convert . It has never seemed as cold as it was before. Any reason for this?
One issue IIRC, is that 134a is not as efficient as R12... thus the components need a redesign to work right (bigger evaporator, etc) so a retrofit isn't a perfect fix.

I did a retrofit with all new, but stock components and it works pretty well... but not as well as my modern Audi. I chalk that up to the design and the scaling of the components to match 134A.

There is a 'new' evaporator design, but I heard about it after I finished all the work so I just live with it. My car does leak very slowly, and I find I need a top up every year or so with a little 134A. I do it myself with a gauge, and the AC works within the spec of Tore's chart above.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:26 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Are we talking about engine cooling now? How does running the AC on our cars negatively affect engine cooling? It's not like the condenser is stacked with the radiator like on a traditional car. Does the drag from the compressor on the motor really raise engine temps?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:30 AM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
Were you at the Norwalk event? The drive home was brutally hot close to 100. The later 964's came with R134 standard. Both my 93 and 94 have it. The condensers are different and work better than a revised R12. I had to admit the car was cool and comfortable the whole drive home until we hit bad traffic by the Tappan Zee Bridge. Was good for about 15 min in traffic and then I started to notice the temps rise so I shut it off and opened the windows.

So if your driving there fine if sitting in traffic they are a huge draw on the engines. I find my C2 gets hot less quickly than the turbo but turbos always run hotter.
Yes I was at Norwalk, your car looks amazing by the way. I think the system just gets heat soaked and has a hard time on extremely hot and especially sunny days. I hit that traffic at the Tappan Zee, but luckily was able to bail out and ended up taking the Gwb.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:35 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Good A/C parts.

http://griffiths.com/porsche/air-conditioning/964-993/
Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How good is the AC when at best?

Has anyone here converted to the Griffiths upgrade?
Also, is going 993 parts a step up or does the 993 have the same system?
Old 07-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Meatball911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good is the AC when at best?

I have an '89 and the system was recharged last summer. Today, heading to local club races, I drove it 150 miles at interstate speeds in heavy humidity and in mid 80 degree temps. After about 30 minutes I had to turn the temperature down because my son was too cold. It did take 10-15 minutes to dramatically change the cabin temp but certainly has the ability to do so.

With respect to engine temperatures, I would point out that I have the fog light / brake duct air replacements installed. I did not run the air to the brakes but instead use the ducts to cool the oil and ac condenser. Accordingly, I see very little difference unless I am in extreme temps or sitting in traffic. For instance, today I ran into some delays but my temp hardly went above the first marker on the gauge (not sure what that reading is but it is equivalent to 1/4 of the gauge reading). Hope that helps.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:56 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes, I installed the Griffiths evaporator as my stock, 22 year old one was a leaky mess.
Much better design on the Griffiths and it probably contributes to the excellent cooling.
Last summer, we did a 2 day trip across the central valley and crossed a few mountains on 2 lane back roads. The car and occupants stayed cool and comfy !
Old 07-26-2015, 06:07 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like there is hope for a cool interior with a sorted out system. Since I do not have a time for a completion of my engine rebuild, the AC may be my winter project to prepare for next year's summer.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:03 AM
drola
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 114 Posts

I just replaced my compressor with a new one (not rebuilt), new expansion valve, new dryer and new 993 condenser. Left the original evaporator as it does not leak and since it isn't broken i'm not fixing it. Pulled vacuum and charged with 134a. I don't have exact temps but i can say that i can drive my black/black C2 in the middle of the day in the middle of july in the middle of miami traffic and i stay nice and cool inside my car. I am very happy with the results
Old 08-01-2015, 01:40 AM
lvc2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

My a/c has kept me cool at 117 degrees. I have tinted glass on the side windows and a clear windshield covering that cuts heat in half. It helps I have covered parking. If left outside is takes a few minutes to get comfortable. I still have R-12 and new evaporator. It is a 1991 cab. It does not work as well as my 996 which became my new daily driver in 2013.

Last edited by lvc2; 08-01-2015 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Add model

Quick Reply: How good is the AC when at best?