Sponsored by:

valve covers ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:58 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by perelet
Peeling is not good Chunks of paint will get in to oil lines and plug tiny oiling holes causing not pretty after effects
I fully agree with you on that point, the good thing is, that by the time the oil gets to the inside of the valve covers and possibly picks up paint chunks, it is on its way to the scavenge side of the oil pump and back through the filter, where hopefully all impurities will be separated from the oil.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:59 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking of the specific torquing sequence. Can anyone confirm this process is the correct to use? I found it in an older valve cover thread.

1. put on valve cover with fresh gasket seated evenly and lightly oiled.
2. put on all the screws by finger and don't tighten at all. Just very lightly to hold the valve cover in place.
3. then start fom the Center top screw. Tighten to spec at 7ft-lb.
4. then tighten the Center bottom screw to spec.
5. then tighten the next right top screw to spec.
6. then tighten the right bottom screw to spec.
7. do this for all the screws to the rigth of the center screw.
8. then tighten the top left screw next to the center screw to spec.
9. then tighten the bottom left screw next to the center screw to spec.
10. do this for all the screw to the left of the center screw.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:31 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

I put all the nuts and washers on, then tighten all so none if them are loose, then start center top then center bottom and then work my way out on both sides of center in a criss cross pattern. I go about 50 inch/lbs, then go around again with 84 inch/lbs.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steen. Do you put a little bit of motor oil on the gasket prior to install?

Originally Posted by crg53
I put all the nuts and washers on, then tighten all so none if them are loose, then start center top then center bottom and then work my way out on both sides of center in a criss cross pattern. I go about 50 inch/lbs, then go around again with 84 inch/lbs.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:44 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

I don't, but see nothing wrong with doing that.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:23 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

I got my aluminium lower valve covers that I bought off RennSpeed's eBay store. So upon inspection for the Porsche authenticity diamond I found this:

Looks like the diamond logo was grinded off the cover. Not sure how I feel about this. I sent Rennspeed an email asking them about the situation. Thing is their picture on eBay shows the diamond on the advertised product.

Anyone else who bought these remember seeing the diamond? I wonder if they shave it off since they are selling them well under Porsche recommended pricing...

I'll let everyone know what I hear back.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:36 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I would suspect they are buying from the factory OEM supplier at bargain prices but can't be sold as OE parts.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:59 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MTR
Anyone else who bought these remember seeing the diamond? I wonder if they shave it off since they are selling them well under Porsche recommended pricing...
Earlier in the thread I posted to say that I had original covers ordered but Porsche put a stop on the release of the parts from Germany due to concerns over quality. Therefore I never got the new covers and the order was cancelled. Maybe these are covers that have been rejected by Porsche but have made their way out of a back door?
Old 09-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I've used all the billet choices over the years. They are all about the same, and of course the gaskets that are used are another key to a leak free engine. I most recently used the Tarret units on my 964, no issues.

The other weak link is the hardware, since lots of leaks originate with the oil wicking past the threads of the fasteners.

I developed a micro- encapsulated bolt kit that replaces the hardware, and solves that problem, quickly and easily.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:00 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

The other weak link is the hardware, since lots of leaks originate with the oil wicking past the threads of the fasteners.

I developed a micro- encapsulated bolt kit that replaces the hardware, and solves that problem, quickly and easily.
I would be very interested in learning more about your kit, as the majority of my leaks are from the studs/nuts.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I have the kit going into a major distributor's catalog soon. From there, they will make it into many other catalogs.

I only develop products, I try my best not to sell anything, except engines :-)
Old 09-06-2015, 01:00 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried order Rennspeend valve cover last year. When they arrived I discovered that the groove for the seals are defective. I didn't install them as I am afraid oil leak from cover as the result.

Originally Posted by MTR
I got my aluminium lower valve covers that I bought off RennSpeed's eBay store. So upon inspection for the Porsche authenticity diamond I found this:

Looks like the diamond logo was grinded off the cover. Not sure how I feel about this. I sent Rennspeed an email asking them about the situation. Thing is their picture on eBay shows the diamond on the advertised product.

I'll let everyone know what I hear back.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:24 PM
time666
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi MTR,
I'd be interested to know if you managed to get a response about this too, as I have a set currently on route from them at the moment.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

A talented fellow Rennlister took my upper valve cover and prototyped a new one. It's obviously not a final design (won't hold oil) but it looks pretty sharp to me for a first effort. However, maybe we've under estimated the technical challenge with these. What is wrong with the grooves on the lower cover Rennspeed ones?
Attached Images  

Last edited by John McM; 09-08-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:00 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by time666
Hi MTR,
I'd be interested to know if you managed to get a response about this too, as I have a set currently on route from them at the moment.
I got a response and they said they got a new batch of these from a German distributor who got them from Porsche. With the info about Porsche not selling their latest batch due to quality concerns I could see where Porsche might have grinded off the logo and the parts end up on the secondary market. I'm not going to roll the dice, so Rennspeed offered a full refund including shipping and said they would switch the now incorrect picture on their eBay ad. So mine are going to be shipped back.

Quick Reply: valve covers ???