Sponsored by:

Brake booster causing soft pedal? w/vid

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Correct, when I was pressing on the pedal and my friend opened the bleed, my pedal stayed the same and small amounts of fluid and bubbles came out. We kept doing that until the bubbles stopped. Not sure why the bleed was so slow. We tried swapping bleed screws and make sure it wasn't blocked by debris.

PM sent
Old 05-18-2015, 05:35 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

It usually helps if you bench bleed the master cylinder before install. That way you get a lot of the air out before you start the bleed process. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:45 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I took a longer test drive yesterday evening and the pedal feels just fine and solid. But I'll wait with a report until Monday after my first trackday with the 993 cylinder/booster set up, to say if this works better than the 964 cylinder.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:54 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
I suppose 1 can of fluid amounts to one cycle, at times there were some smallish bubbles, but others seem like tiny specs. Are you saying that your pedal behaved the same way? When you open bleed screw it doesn't really sink as the fluid comes out?
How are you doing Alex? Any progress?
Old 05-21-2015, 06:08 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welll, nothing new really. I had bled around three more cans worth of fluid and after that the fluid seemed to be coming out clean and clear. So I put everything away and started the car, but the pedal is not even a tiny bit different than before. So for now I'm going to return this borrowed MC and put on my old one and decide what to do. Whether I try finding another 964 booster, or maybe order the full 993 conversion. Although the thought of changing the booster sucks, was not a fun job the first time around.

edit: could a bad caliper be giving me this soft pedal?

Last edited by Mr.Alex; 05-21-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:10 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Finally have some sort of a good pedal. Turns out the place that swapped the booster didn't place this sort of half inch up that holds the pushrod inside the brake booster. The soft pedal and no grab up top was because without the cup I would have to push he pedal a longer distance for the rod to make contact with the MC. The pedal is not perfect, but day and night from what was before. I suppose I might need to overhaul the whole system to get it to be like new.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:29 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Mr.Alex - By chance, did you get a picture of what was installed incorrectly? I want to double check that mine was assembled correctly.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:52 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

I think Alex means this: The aluminium top, no 16 in the pic goes down very thight on the neck of the booster. The 964 top is like 1-2 mm to narrow so it won't fit over the neck if you don't enlarge the hole with a Dremel or similiar. If you don't do this the top won't sit correctly and the linkage doesn't work as supposed.

I have real pics of this mod in my computer.
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

It isn't that Thomas, I'm still on 964 parts. Unless you guys had a broken booster and replaced it with a booster that was missing the pushrod which sits inside the brake booster, than it shouldn't be a concern for you. The booster I bought of pelican did not come with the pushrod because the member sold it with the master cylinder, and when the mechanic pulled the push rod off the old booster the metal cup fell inside and was forgotten about. Normally its a cup, pushrod, and washer held by three plastic tabs within the booster.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2015, 03:10 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Aha, sorry. Forgot that you still used 964 parts.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:01 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
I think Alex means this: The aluminium top, no 16 in the pic goes down very thight on the neck of the booster. The 964 top is like 1-2 mm to narrow so it won't fit over the neck if you don't enlarge the hole with a Dremel or similiar. If you don't do this the top won't sit correctly and the linkage doesn't work as supposed.

Guys this is all very helpful thanks ...

re pic part numbers #43 - is there a special way to get the two hard plastic pipes (#8 & #7; that run from the reservoir in the frunk) to the vacuum booster off? Of do you just insert a flat edge driver and pop them off?

Quick Reply: Brake booster causing soft pedal? w/vid