Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reproduction 964 C2/C4/RS engine bay tire pressure/ oil fill foils.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 447 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Reproduction 964 C2/C4/RS engine bay tire pressure/ oil fill foils.

Those of you who've tried to source replacement 964 engine bay oil fill and tyre pressure foils from your local Porsche dealer will know that the items they supply now are very different to those originally fitted to the cars at the factory when they were built.

Here are an original (though rather tired) pair of engine bay foils on a UK 964RS :

The original foils are formed from a brass/bronze coloured metallic material and are approximately 0.0065in thick.

Regrettably the "foils" Porsche AG supply now are a silver coloured paper item for the oil fill foil, and a shiny gold plastic material for the tyre pressure foil.

The layout of the oil fill foil that is now supplied is broadly the same as the original (though there are some differences) whereas the layout for the tyre pressure foil is completely different to the original, as can be seen in the photo below :

Faced with the choice of fitting these incorrect items to my concourse 964 RS, or having some accurate reproductions manufactured, I chose the latter :

The reproductions can be seen fitted to my RS in the images below :

The reproductions are made from a thicker metallic material than the originals (0.0165in as opposed to 0.0065in thick) they have the same brushed finish as the originals and their layout is identical in every respect.

Those who have tried to source replacement engine bay foils will know there are plenty of reproduction oil fill and tyre pressure foils available on the market from a variety of sources, however NONE of them are made from genuine metallic foil, most are paper with a shiny gold finish, or they are plastic.

The items I've had manufactured are superior to the originals in so far as the method to form the script is permanent.
I won't divulge the manufacturer, but the process used to produce the foils is top quality and utilized by the likes of Boeing, NASA, Northrop Grumman and Sikorsky. Suffice to say they should be up to the rigours of life inside the engine bay of a 964..........

The graphics are permanently embedded in the aluminum and are resistant to the following harsh conditions:

Extreme ultraviolet exposure

Temperatures exceeding 370°C - 700°F

Salt spray

Gasoline, jet fuels, hydraulic fluids, chemicals and solvents

Abrasion.

To get the foil set made for my car, my order was subject to a MOQ. I therefore have several spare sets available.

Due to the limited quantity I had manufactured, these weren't cheap. They are however the most accurate and true to the original foils I've seen (but I would say that wouldn't I ! ! )

If anyone would like a set for their 964 C2/4 or RS, please contact me for details of the costs both for the foils and their shipping. Supply will of course be on a first come first served basis. I can be emailed directly on henmarcu@gmail.com

Moderators, this is not a "commercial venture", but purely an offer to fellow Rennlisters for reproduction items that are NLA. If this post breaks ANY of the posting rules on Rennlist, do please get in touch and I'll edit/remove as requested.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:42 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice, definitely interested....sent you a pm.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by evoderby
Very nice, definitely interested....sent you a pm.

Hi H,

PM sent.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:27 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi , email sent
Old 01-05-2015, 06:41 PM
baldy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent
Old 01-06-2015, 01:49 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will pass for now on foils, however, would like to order one of those wicked CLEAN engine bays.....
Old 01-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C4inLA
I will pass for now on foils, however, would like to order one of those wicked CLEAN engine bays.....
Do you have a Paypal account, a return plane ticket for the flight from the UK to the USA, workshop facilities, plating facilities, a paintshop and approximately 50 hours spare ? If so, I may be able to help

Quick Reply: Reproduction 964 C2/C4/RS engine bay tire pressure/ oil fill foils.