Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Winter Storage Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One qt or 5, doesn't matter to me, sounds stupid. Not sure what Adrian was thinking when he wrote that. No logical benefit.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Meatball911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the advice. Last year I ran my Mercedes every 1-2 weeks but was an extreme hassle with the severity of the weather here in Minnesota (10-60 below zero). However, this year the storage facility is much better so I plan to use premium had with a stabilizer (oil level will be reduced due the minor leak whether I like it or not). I am wondering if the anti-moisture packets are necessary if the car will stay above 50 degree Fahrenheit?
Old 10-24-2014, 11:39 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

No anti moisture packets should be fine unless the facility is in a basement.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:30 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If not stored in a proper car tent then the next best type of storage facility building is a large aircraft hanger or similar large industrial building that has thick concrete floor (heat preservation) and high ceiling (airflow) as moisture/damp is caused by lack of airflow and rapid changes in temp. High ceiling in a large building provides a natural airflow and the concrete floor keeps some heat minimising temp changes.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:29 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Meatball, I live in Minnesota as well and do a similar storage prep. I do use Sta-bil in the gas but some folks say it doesn't do matter with today's blends of fuels. I've had good success in the past with my 2 stroke dirt bikes and boats so why mess with a good thing?

I think the start vs. no start thing may depend on the environment where its being stored. If you're storing it in an unheated garage then the act of starting an engine in extreme cold could do more harm than good. If you're in a heated garage, then it probably doesn't make a difference. However, the 964 user manual does not recommend that you idle your car to warm it up after starting. They recommend driving your car immediately and let it warm up by driving under 3k rpm. So, even though I've been storing my car in a heated garage, I have not been starting my car in the winter.

Good luck and I hope to meet you at a P-Car event soon!
Old 10-25-2014, 08:14 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Too bad that storage is already being mentioned but I get it winter is around the corner. Hope this winter is considerably milder than last years. In winter on a nice day when the roads are clear I get my Porsche's out and put a few miles on them. Just makes for a good day.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Reminds me I have to start looking at storage options.. Anyone in the Boston area know of a resonable place?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:26 AM
smq42
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
Reminds me I have to start looking at storage options.. Anyone in the Boston area know of a resonable place?
I used Toy Motorsports in Marlborough to store my car for a month this past summer. I didn't like that they needed at least a few hours notice before i could pick up my car--even though I paid extra to have regular access to the car. (You aren't going to be able to just show up on a whim because the afternoon cleared up and take the car out for a spin.) I didn't have any major problems but they don't have very good ratings on Yelp.

Re-reading this post, I realize that it's not much of a recommendation! Buyer beware!

Quick Reply: Newbie Winter Storage Question