Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture under floorboards.. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know. I am open to suggestions. I have spent a ridiculous amount of manhours on this stupid water leak! Im exasperated... The 3 f's are setting in...fatigue, frustration, and f@&k!!!
Old 11-18-2014, 03:51 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
It took me ages to find it. I'd suspected the windscreen seal and fresh air intake and then by accident poured some water directly on the driver side nozzle and sure enough....drip, drip, drip just in front of the pedals. I've fixed it temporarily by smearing some silicone grease on the seal. I'm going to try cleaning up the seal at some point. If that doesn't work I'll have to buy a new nozzle as the seal is not available separately!
I finally got round to investigating this, we'd had a fair bit of rain recently and before that I'd totally dried the car out, sure enough moisture in the footwells running down from the HVAC box, with the source being water pooling behind the firewall.

I felt under the scuttle and yup the washer jets were dripping wet, since water doesn't flow uphill this must be the issue, only took 5 years to figure it out!

I lifted the nozzles out cleaned and dried and used some non setting sealant on both sides of the (fairly crispy) gaskets.

One other thing I found was that the washer hose was a little loose on both washers, this may have contributed to the leak, so I trimmed back the hose added some blue hylomar to the barbs for good measure and fitted some new porsche style hose clamps.

I took the car out for a nice long run to warm her through, fingers crossed it stays dry. I have an Air Dry in the frunk and another in the cabin to help mop up residual damp, and hopefully eventually I'll even get all the damp out of the instruments so they don't mist up anymore!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:35 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Same problem here too. Solution was a garage.

My passenger side rear footwell is where I would notice the water. Another possibility to check- I think that the frunk floor has a straight shot into the interior. So water in the frunk will rush into the interior foam the first you accelerate.

Anyway, good luck!
Old 11-19-2014, 01:07 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Last edited by GeorgeK; 12-11-2014 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the washer nozzle gaskets and i think i solved my problem. When PO had car repainted they never replaced gaskets. We had long hard rain and it was dry when i checked the next day!!!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:54 AM
Greg_V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had tremendous success with the approach outlined in post 26 of this 993 thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/718235-passenger-rear-floor-has-a-pool-2.html

Leak Chek is not available thru retail that I could find--direct sale only. I used an equivalent product from O'Reily and it did the trick.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:43 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread that, Leak Chek sounds handy, I'll remember that but I loved the name "Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure" I had to buy some, not sure what I'll use it for...

Quick Reply: Moisture under floorboards.. Help!