Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VERY challenging power window problem....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 03:59 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VERY challenging power window problem....

Hi guys,

So I am sorting out my 1992 964 C2 after paint and engine rebuild. There are some issues left, as usually after major repairs.

Today I found a very interesting problem; the passenger door power window. It was non-op after I put the car back together, and honestly I only drove it for a maximum of 100 miles before I tore it down, so I dont remember if it worked before....

I pulled the door card and started troubleshooting. This is what I have checked today:

- all three switches works when installed to control the driver side.
- the motor works both up and down when I connect a 12v source.
- the switch actually works to raise the window after I lowered it with the 12v source. Does not work to lower it, though.
- the relay/regulator got very hot, so I replaced it with a RoW part in unknown condition, which doesnt get hot, but no change.
- there are 12v on all 4 terminals at the switch when the switch is in "neutral", exactly like on the working door window switch.
- there is 12v on the "up" terminal at the switch when it is in "up" position.
- there is 0v on the "down" terminal at the switch when it is in "down" position.
- I cant trigger "down" using the extra switch on the drivers door, but "up" works equally well from there. That switch has the exact same measurements at each terminal as the one in the other door.
- there is no gunk or damage do the mechanism itself which would trigger this, and as previously mentioned it does work with a 12v source.

To me these symptoms are very, very strange. It is like everything works until I press "down". Then something makes the 12v vanish. Like it shorts out somewhere.

So, what am I missing? It has to be something obvious. The most likely thing in my mind is the relay / regulator, or the wiring. I REALLY hope it's not the wiring, since that would be very hard to find and repair....

Please let me kow if you have any ideas or suggestions!

Regards,

Johan
Old 08-11-2014, 02:38 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

did you try putting the driver switch on the passenger door side?
Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Thanks for answering but unfortunately I tried all the combinations....

If the switches are the problem, all of them need to have an issue which make them work with the driver door PW, but not with the passenger side. Seems unlikely but I am listening to all ideas!

Regards,

Johan
Old 08-11-2014, 08:50 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My passenger window suddenly stopped working - I couldn't lower it from its own switch or from the passenger switch on the driver's side. I then realized that when the car had been in for some work someone had done some switch swapping and hadn't put them back in the right combination. The passenger switch on the driver's side (which you click in an up position to stop the passenger window being operated) had been put over on the passenger side. Once I swapped them back, everything was fine again.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:09 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
My passenger window suddenly stopped working - I couldn't lower it from its own switch or from the passenger switch on the driver's side. I then realized that when the car had been in for some work someone had done some switch swapping and hadn't put them back in the right combination. The passenger switch on the driver's side (which you click in an up position to stop the passenger window being operated) had been put over on the passenger side. Once I swapped them back, everything was fine again.
Interesting one Steve. All three switches are the same, part number 964.613.621.00.01C
Old 08-11-2014, 01:29 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Interesting one Steve. All three switches are the same, part number 964.613.621.00.01C
Yes Colin, mine seems to be an odd set up. That's why I thought I'd mention it in case the OP has the same.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The driver and passenger door switches may be in series or so.

I remember one switch failing and neither worked. This can probably be extended to the cabling too. It needs to be fine on both sides I would think.

So if you haven't checked the cable/connector on the driver side, it's probably not bad to have a look at.

Hope it's a simple solution.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:56 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Hi,

I think I am on to something.....

By chance I realized that I can raise and lower the passenger window from the drivers door when the door was open a certain angle. Moving from that angle stopped the passenger window operation. And, when the driver side switch worked, so did the switch on the passenger side!!

After checking around I realized that I could push the door electrical harness with my fingers, instead of keepeng the door at the correct angle.

Then I started to remove the harness from under the dash, and lealized the power locks and some other functions went haywire when I pulled on the power lock control box....

The one shown in the pics, is that really a Porsche part? The installation does not look professional....

Regards,

Johan
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2014, 12:17 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jsoderbe
Hi,

I think I am on to something.....

By chance I realized that I can raise and lower the passenger window from the drivers door when the door was open a certain angle. Moving from that angle stopped the passenger window operation. And, when the driver side switch worked, so did the switch on the passenger side!!
Just to be sure you know the sequence of how the windows work:

1. Both windows should operate with the doors closed and ignition and dashlights on. Without the ignition they don't work when the doors are closed.

2. Both windows should operate with a door wide open without the ignition on (the door switches provide an earth to the power window relay to allow the 12V).

Your finding that the windows work with the door at a certain angle might just mean that door switch is not earthing until you open it wide enough?
Old 08-15-2014, 03:13 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I will make sure the door switch is working properly.

I have now removed the entire door wiring harness. It looks to be in good condition, except that the aftermarket remote key system is unbelivably unprofessionally installed. Have a look at the attached pic that show the level of expertise utilized....

Regards,

Johan
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2014, 03:14 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

The problem might be that they took the switched 12v to the remote key control unit from the switched PW wire. I will fix this up and see if that helped!

Regards,

Johan
Old 08-16-2014, 11:48 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Arrrrrgggh!!! I fixed the remote up with connectors, searched the harness for cracks in the cables, and put new tape on all of it.

Then I tested the harness, just connected, not mounted inside the door. It worked beautifully! Then I pulled it through the hole in the door hinge post, connected it on the inside, and tested again. Worked beautifully.

So happy as I was I plled it inside the door and did all the boring work of tying thr cabless down. Connected it all together and tested. Not working!!! I STILL need to push the harness with an open door to get it to work....

Any ideas? Is this a stess crack from opening and closing the door thousands of times? Should I just run a new cable for this function or buy a new harness?

Regards,

Johan
Old 08-16-2014, 02:19 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Which side door wiring harness do you need?
Old 08-16-2014, 05:03 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Its the drivers side.

But, I ran a new wire to the one without power and the same problem still occured....

I am not smart enough to fix this, from what it seems. I need to bring in an electrical expert, my Father! :-)

Johan

Quick Reply: VERY challenging power window problem....