Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My mini-restoration project - 1991 Porsche 964 Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:34 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Fuxor, car wouldn't start today. First time I put the key in, everything lit up as usual, I heard a fan start, and then nothing. I drove it yesterday but left the battery connected for about 24hrs. I unplugged the battery, and reconnected it, tightening the nut by hand, heard some things going on, opened the door, dome light turned on, turned the key and nothing happened again.

Think it's a battery issue or something more pernicious?
Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
And some engine compartment pics. I tried highlighting the only things that looked like they might be something out of place.

Welding of some sort that looks half-assed to me: Top left of the engine bay (by the struts):

Other side, same image:

More welding spots, here at the bottom left side:

The center reflector doesn't "run" with the upward curvature of the body. I.e. The distance at the end right and left side of the body panel to reflector is greater than at the center.
Look like the factory welds to me.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:05 PM
dhc905
Banned

Cool. Good to hear. Car also started right up when I got home from work and took her out on a great drive to Oakland through Canyon (listed as one of the best bike rides in the world by road-bikers). Fantastic.

Going to pick up my radio delete piece and tube at Sonnen today. Will wrench around Sunday or Monday. Still have to do oil change, fuel filter change and air filter change.

Happy motoring Saturday!
Old 06-08-2014, 02:03 AM
dhc905
Banned

Changed the oil today. I put in 9.5 qts after draining. Did the heat engine up, puncture filter, open tank, open engine.

Couple comments: there doesnt seem like a lot of consensus regarding how much oil to put in, and the threat of overfilling sounds quite severe.

My thought process was 7 is the minimum to put in. What I got out was at least 7 qts (using 15qt pan) and I'm pretty sure I was pretty low to begin with.

There was white gunk around the bolt from the oil tank. I will post a picture soon. Cleaned both bolts, new alum crush washers.

Generally worked out, but I have no idea whatsoever how much oil there is in there. Dipstick is useless, gauge I have no idea how to interpret (started at 3, when engine was lukewarm, then dropped to 1.5 as I filled oil from 7 qts to 9.5).
Old 06-08-2014, 08:46 AM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want your oil level gauge somewhere in the middle. if you already put in 9.5 quarts, that should be plenty. Take the car out for a ride, it has to be at operating temp for the gauge to register properly, make sure the car is on level ground when you read it. The dipstick is hard to read with brand new oil, once you get a few miles and some color in the oil, it becomes a little easier.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
Changed the oil today. I put in 9.5 qts after draining. Did the heat engine up, puncture filter, open tank, open engine.

Couple comments: there doesnt seem like a lot of consensus regarding how much oil to put in, and the threat of overfilling sounds quite severe.

My thought process was 7 is the minimum to put in. What I got out was at least 7 qts (using 15qt pan) and I'm pretty sure I was pretty low to begin with.

There was white gunk around the bolt from the oil tank. I will post a picture soon. Cleaned both bolts, new alum crush washers.

Generally worked out, but I have no idea whatsoever how much oil there is in there. Dipstick is useless, gauge I have no idea how to interpret (started at 3, when engine was lukewarm, then dropped to 1.5 as I filled oil from 7 qts to 9.5).
(Drivers Manual)

Add 6 ltrs, start engine and run at idle, add approx 3 ltrs more, fit filler cap, then check and top-up using the dipstick method (ie, ignore the gauge!). Is your dipstick faulty?

Old 06-09-2014, 03:08 AM
dhc905
Banned

I really have no idea. If by faulty you mean I can't tell a thing from it, then yes, I think it must be faulty! Everytime I pulled it out, the oil smeared along the dipstick leaving an unclear (yet, very transparent) reading on the dipstick. Gauge was less than helpful, though it seems the manual (that I don't have, been relying on the good word of fellow rennlisters and pelican parts ppl) mentions a different method.

After 5 tries, I gave up on the dipstick method and the gauge method and instead estimated how much oil came out and replaced approximately that much.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

The dipstick takes some time to figure out. It's really hard to read with new oil.

I find that I can't read it under most light sources, but under direct sunlight it's much easier. Try taking a look on a sunny day, turn the dipstick in the sun and you'll see the oil level on the stick in the glare. It will be subtle but you'll see it. And then once you know what you are looking for it will be easy.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:08 PM
dhc905
Banned

This may be a stupid question, but I can't for the life of me find something that spells it out.

What is below the carpeting that is under the floormat? I think there is soundproofing foam stuff, but is that sandwiched between the floor of the car and wooden floorboards? Does it rest on top of wooden floorboards? My stuff has been stripped to the metal and currently just has floormats over metal. I saw a DIY to make wooden floorboards, and I like rennline floorboards, but it seems both of those exist behind the gas/clutch/brake pedals...

Will post a picture tonight along with my sickly looking oil tank bolt
Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 AM
dhc905
Banned

"Floorboards"

Name:  DSC_9254_zpsd5718d44.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  DSC_9253_zpsce1b54c6.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  39.7 KB

And are these cassette tape holders? Gotta pop open my throwback pepsi if so:

Name:  DSC_9255_zpsaa6d7469.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  21.3 KB

These are the "floorboards" concept I want, assuming it fits over the red painted metal illustrated above. And perhaps add back modern soundproofing.

Would like something like this, but with the proper underbelly below the floormat (really what my question is):

And the pus on my oil tank bolt:

Kind of gross.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:16 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

As far as taillight gaskets are concerned, your car probably doesn't take one or need one. Early 964s (definitely '89, possibly '90)) had the gasket on the rear tails. By '91, they didn't use them anymore. My '91 doesn't have 'em either.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:52 AM
dhc905
Banned

Whale tail gasket was annoying me so I pulled it off. Plan on replacing gasket and fixing the metal mesh in there that rattled a bit. Got late and the lady started getting annoyed, so called it after I got it off nad cleaned the engine lid a little bit:

Name:  DSC_9264_zps3f133501.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  31.3 KB

Squash racket going to have do until I fix the decklid struts.

Name:  DSC_9268_zps29ca9e7a.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  45.2 KB
Old 06-10-2014, 02:00 AM
dhc905
Banned

Yeah, that's what my guy at Sonnen told me. Still doesn't look right, and having one screw on one end of the tail light (just asking to be torqued by the weight of the tail light on a speedbump or something) isn't confidence inspiring.

Originally Posted by Vandit
As far as taillight gaskets are concerned, your car probably doesn't take one or need one. Early 964s (definitely '89, possibly '90)) had the gasket on the rear tails. By '91, they didn't use them anymore. My '91 doesn't have 'em either.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:53 PM
dhc905
Banned

Sourced the hot air tube, whale tail gasket, and two hood gaskets. Those will be installed this weekend.

Yesterday I was working until about 1 am on doing the fuel and air filter change. I followed a DIY for a 993, and on the 964 it's significantly easier. The front nut (towards the frunk) was much harder to open, but the two wrenches one hand (sounds like it could be a VERY VERY weird sex tape) works brilliantly.

The gas that came out though is somewhat of a concern to me.

Name:  DSC_9278_zpsbfa99b21.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  59.9 KB

It's pretty dark. Is that typical? If not, what is it symptomatic of?

Also, when trying to catch gas that comes out of your filter, DO NOT USE A SOLO CUP. It will dissolve faster than you can try to plug it. Paper is the way to go (the other consideration is that the area to put your cup as you wrench is oblong, so a catch that can be cut, and squished, to size is a key consideration).

Also, given the color of my gas, not sure I want to put it back in.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-14-2014, 07:08 PM
dhc905
Banned

Bump. Any ideas? Curious before I start her back up and get engulfed in flames...

Quick Reply: My mini-restoration project - 1991 Porsche 964 Cabrio