Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! engine fan runs all the time..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:09 AM
philt68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help! engine fan runs all the time..

i spoke to my mechanic, and he says the controler on the dash is faulty, and we need a new circuit board, which apparently is unavailable in the states, and will cost $1800 to get from europe...is this true? it seems bloody expensive to me! or does someone have a genius fix? is it bad to drive with the engine fan running at all times?
Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a large coil resistor (replacement cost I believe about $50) on the inside of the heater blower motor that I believe can cause this type of malfunction if it fails or the connections to it are not good. It is located on the inside of the tube pretty much in the middle and has 2 wires connected to it.

I had a similar issue about a year ago when I was working on my car and it turned out that one of the wires that connect to the resistor had become corroded. I cleaned it up and my fan issues went away.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:26 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philt68
i spoke to my mechanic, and he says the controler on the dash is faulty, and we need a new circuit board, which apparently is unavailable in the states, and will cost $1800 to get from europe...is this true? it seems bloody expensive to me! or does someone have a genius fix? is it bad to drive with the engine fan running at all times?
Not sure what he is getting at? I presume you mean the rear blower (on the left side) rather than the main cooling fan (middle). The rear blower runs all the time with engine on unless you turn the controller to the blue dot. The main fan obviously runs all the time with the engine on seeing as it's driven by the engine.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I presume that the fan runs at ludicrous speed as long as the key is in the ignition, engine on or not. It is very loud and sounds as if it will fail imminently if kept running at that high RPM.

That was my problem anyway.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:13 PM
9six4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Not sure what he is getting at? I presume you mean the rear blower (on the left side) rather than the main cooling fan (middle). The rear blower runs all the time with engine on unless you turn the controller to the blue dot. The main fan obviously runs all the time with the engine on seeing as it's driven by the engine.
Sounds like an easy fix. Turn off the engine to stop the fan. I assume it is the rear blower fan that has the problem.

On mine I changed the coil resistor, the temperature sensor and the relay for the blower fan. My blower fan would still run for about ten minutes after turning the engine off on hot days.

Are you saying that it never shuts off even after a period of time?
Old 05-02-2014, 01:41 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Mike and 9six4, I agree with you both that the blower can run a short time after engine off for cooling but if it just keeps running and running with the engine off then there is a problem. However, it's the observation by the mechanic that the blower is running with the engine on that's confusing me.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:49 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

philt68, your mechanic is most probably wrong. The rear fan shall run up to 20 minutes after ignition off, depending on the engine temperature. If it does not stop it is most probably due to a faulty or disconnected rear air duct temperature sensor. I have never seen a Climatee Control Module that has caused this problem, only other causes. It could also be a faulty rear fan relay. (burnt contacts)
A faulty rear fan resistor will most probably not cause this problem.
See details on the rear fan operation on my web page.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 05-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you turn on ignition and your fan just jumps on high, it could be the thermoswitch as others have mentioned. I had the same issue, one of the pins on it snapped, and after I replaced everything is smooth. There is a good read up on Tore's page.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 PM
philt68
Advanced

sorry, i should be a little clearer-the engine fan starts up the moment i turn the key-it doesn't keep running once i've turned off the ignition...he says the problem is with the climate control unit-the bit that's in the dashboard-

he told me he's been trying to find a rebuilt one, but allegedly they're hard to find-anyone else have the same problem?
Old 05-04-2014, 06:21 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by philt68
sorry, i should be a little clearer-the engine fan starts up the moment i turn the key-it doesn't keep running once i've turned off the ignition...he says the problem is with the climate control unit-the bit that's in the dashboard-

he told me he's been trying to find a rebuilt one, but allegedly they're hard to find-anyone else have the same problem?
When you turn the key (dash lights on but engine not started) the fan will turn on if the ccu dial has any sort of heat selected. If you then turn the dial to the blue dot, it will turn off. This is the normal operation.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:49 PM
RennKurth
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For anyone with a 964 with engine blower fan that stays on after ignition turned on or starting the engine, just replacing the fan sensor should solve the problem. I just bought an '89 964 and the fan stayed on with the previous owner. I asked him about it and he said all the 1989 models do this and it's unique to that model year. This is completely NOT TRUE! I ordered the $52 replacement sensor from Pelican Parts and when installed with the fan RUNNING, it immediately stopped when the new sensor was plugged in. Part info. https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...s=0&SVSVSI=832

Quick Reply: help! engine fan runs all the time..