Sponsored by:

CV joints for C4

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:26 PM
pmohr993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV joints for C4

I have a 1990 C4, which has been converted to a widebody. The wheel hubs are still at the stock narrow body location. Does running the wheels on spacers cause the CV joints to wear quicker, or any of the other suspension parts? No autocross, just street driving. I think my front CV joints are in need of repair. They make a knocking noise at max turning and when I go over bumps. Would I need to get all new CV joints with the axles, or would they just need to be cleaned up and repacked? Or rebuilt by a shop? Any advise or input is welcome.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:55 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the CV boots cracked and/or leaking? That would be something to look at the same time as you look at the drop links we talked about via PM.

Seems like the bearings would be hardest hit by the installation of spacers.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:50 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

No, your car will be fine as it is, in fact this is the set up that Porsche used for the widebody 964 3.8RS. Ultimately a wider whee/tyre combination will increase the overall levels of grip which would increase loading on the wheel bearings under hard cornering and potentially raise the transmitted torque through the drive shafts in lower gears, but this would be the same case if you were running 18" wheels with trackday tyres on a narrow body car.

Quick Reply: CV joints for C4