Sponsored by:

Increase 964 chassis stability and enhance shifter feel and accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:26 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
I just bought a set...Will post back once they are installed...It's a good idea - not sure why it's better than a new mount - but maybe it does all I need with the added benefit of ease of installation....lets see...
Any feedback on your experience with the upgraded mount would be great.

Cheers,
Old 12-06-2013, 07:59 PM
orp73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ordered, will post review
Old 12-06-2013, 09:02 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by orp73
Thanks
Old 01-30-2014, 07:56 AM
orp73
Racer

Finally had this installed, must confess it feels do different at all
Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 AM
boots
Intermediate

Does this fit original rs mounting? I'm sure same as c2
Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

No different? Good to know!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:58 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

That's the end of that then!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by boots
Does this fit original rs mounting? I'm sure same as c2
These inserts will NOT fit the RS trans mount bushing, as the RS bushing design is different than the C2 bushing.

If there's enough demand, however, we can certainly develop that application!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for posting some feedback, and we'd like to hear if you've had some more seat time to expound on your impressions!

The addition of the insert should definitely have led to some noticeable change - a stiffer feeling chassis with more direct shifting, and some additional NVH. The debate is generally if those performance benefits vs the added NVH is a suitable trade off, but we've never had feedback that indicated absolutely no perceived changes after installation.

Check out our thread in the 993 forum, as that trans mount uses the same mount as the 964 model - there are some more reviews there that may prove helpful.

Increase 993 chassis stability and enhance shifter feel and accuracy

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:06 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To some extent the impact must depend on the condition of the factory bushes. If they're played out....
Old 02-03-2014, 05:11 PM
evanscott964
Instructor

I've ordered these from Type911 who had them on the shelf! Have yet to fit them but will be glad to report how they feel the true test will be at the RS day at Oulton Park in March when I'll be able to put them to test.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Function-First
...The debate is generally if those performance benefits vs the added NVH is a suitable trade off, but we've never had feedback that indicated absolutely no perceived changes after installation...
I would be happy to serve as a product tester if you need more feedback to help establish this product...

I have a lot of product development experience, and would be happy to create a detailed thread with my impressions/observations. I have really enjoyed the improved response from upgrading to Wevo motor mounts, so I'm probably the customer this product is designed for. I'd buy it in a instant, but saving up for new tires and suspension...
Old 03-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With the installation of the TRANSMISSION MOUNT INSERT, you will be rewarded with improved shifting and enhanced performance. These benefits, however, come at the cost of some increased noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH), and we understand that this is the main concern for our existing and prospective customers.

I daily drive my car with the Insert, but I realize that my tolerance for the NVH increase may not be in line with others.

As such, we will now be offering a softer version (for the 964/993 2WD applications) in addition to the original harder version.

Choose between two hardness levels:
STREET - Yellow (70A) for less NVH *Softer version*
TRACK - Black (80A) for optimized performance *Original version*

There will still be some NVH transmittal with the STREET version, but it will be much more bearable for those wishing to keep their car purely streetable. For those interested more in the performance benefits, we still recommend the original TRACK version for spirited street driving, AutoX, and DE/Track.

(The 964/993 AWD inserts remain only available in the current 80A hardness, as there is little to no added NVH with that setup.)

If you already purchased an Insert and wish to exchange for the softer version, pls email us at sales@function-first.com to arrange for an exchange. (Buyer will be responsible for shipping charges, and a 10% restocking fee if the original Insert was used.) Any other questions or concerns, pls feel free to email.

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2016, 01:28 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The Transmission Mount Inserts were primarily developed as a performance additive, delivering improved shifting and handling by limiting excess drivetrain movement. They also fortified the failure prone OEM Transmission mount, which can be costly to replace, by filling the voids of the bushing to support and reestablish its original geometry. But the main drawback of the inserts was the added NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) transmitted into the cabin. And for that reason, we offered both the harder TRACK compound for ultimate performance and the softer STREET compound to mitigate some of the added NVH.

Several owners, however, have requested an insert with even less NVH than the STREET compound that would still renew their aging trans mount, so we set out to choose a compound that would strike a nice balance of comfort and restored performance. And following several rounds of successful testing, we’re now offering a solution for daily drivers - the SOFT (Orange) Transmission Mount Inserts.

So if you were intrigued by the benefits of the inserts, but you’ve been hesitant to try them because of the risk of increased NVH, the new SOFT Transmission Mount Inserts may be the “just right” solution for your daily driver!

Here's some good perpective from an owner running the SOFT (60A) Orange inserts:

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
I recently installed the new, softer 60A mount. I rented a lift using www.mybayauto.com for $37 for a 1.5 hour rental. I personally am glad that I had the use of a lift for this install. It would have been a pain to install each side of the new mount while laying on my back. Even with the use of car shampoo as a lubricant, it was still a little tough.

As to the mount, I have to admit that I was incredibly skeptical that it would fix some of the "issues" with my car. I was more convinced that my synchros were simply getting old and worn and maybe the same for my shift cables.

I'm happy to report that the Function First 60A mount has totally transformed my car, no exaggeration. My shifts are much more solid and precise, particularly when dealing with 2nd gear. There's also reduced resistance when putting the car into 1st gear. The "thud" noises that would occasionally occur during shifting appear to be almost completely gone. I should add that I already had a 997 shifter installed, but the car still sometimes struggled with that.

As to NVH, it has increased slightly even though this is the softest mount made by FF. I was a little surprised by this and am happy that I didn't buy the Street or Track version as it would have simply been too much for my tastes. My car does have TechArt "Race" mufflers installed so there's not doubt the car was already louder than a stock 996. But now she sounds aboslutely perfect with the slight increase in NVH. It was just enough to make her sound mean but not enough to make my drive annoying. This car is my daily driver, BTW. It's enough to make me toss aside the idea of installing Fister'd mufflers.

So all in, my first impressions of the 60A is that it was well worth the price of admission. Thanks again Luka.

I'm often asked to recommend which insert hardness to go with and how much NVH increase can be expected from each setup, but because that's so subjective it's often difficult to give accurate guidance. So I appreciate the detailed real-world feedback and reviews from individuals running each particular setup. The consensus is that the SOFT setup is ideal for those of you looking to restore your car's original performance (and then some) with minimal NVH intrusion.

The transmission mount inserts have proven themselves to be an economical upgrade to correct shifting woes and tighten up the handling -- so that your car can feel like a Porsche again!
Old 02-18-2016, 02:00 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Has anyone done this install on a C2 with the motor in the car?

I was hanging out under the car recently upgrading shift linkages and was studying the bushing area. Is it as simple as supporting the nose of the transaxle, removing the bushing through bolt, and then removing the transaxle crossmember?

Can you loosen and remove the throughbolt before disturbing the crossmember? Or would I have to loosen the motor mounts and crossmember, lower the whole drivetrain assembly, then access the through bolt on the bushing?

Quick Reply: Increase 964 chassis stability and enhance shifter feel and accuracy