Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise at ~ 3200 revs (Updated: Car Died with lots of noise and smoke)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Steve, can you elaborate? It seems a lot of folks do their own successful DIY rebuilds and so it amazes me that a shop doing nothing but 100's of 911 rebuilds a year would not have this down to a science after so many years...?
Here's how it works:
(1) MM sucks you in with the low, low price
(2) MM calls once they have your engine to tell you the price will be more and why
(3) MM takes their sweet time rebuilding your engine
(4) You pick up your car. It is either leaking or burning copious amounts of oil
(5) MM doesn't respond to your complaints
(6) You take your car to a reputable shop. They tear down the MM "rebuild" only to find sub-standard work and that old, out of spec parts that a reputable shop would have scrapped were used to "rebuild" your engine.
(7) You end paying double for a rebuild and lose a year of your life due to stress
So, yes, MM has it down to a science, the science of scam.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came late to this post and I have a few things to say:

First, I am very sorry for your broken engine, it´s the stuff our collective nightmares are made

Second, I wouldn´t spend money on doing a "not so expensive" rebuild, I´d rather have my car parked and wait till I got the money for a proper rebuild job.

I give you an example that will make you think

Our local 964 community is very small, a friend of mine over revved his engine two years ago (doing a time attack trial) he payed for a partial rebuild and didn´t change rod bearings because "they looked fine"
Now his engine is out again to change.... rod bearings.
Big money spent twice is not good at all.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metal, really sorry to hear you had a bad experience! How many miles before you had to have your MM rebuild 'rebuilt'?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Henry964
I came late to this post and I have a few things to say:

First, I am very sorry for your broken engine, it´s the stuff our collective nightmares are made

Second, I wouldn´t spend money on doing a "not so expensive" rebuild, I´d rather have my car parked and wait till I got the money for a proper rebuild job.

I give you an example that will make you think

Our local 964 community is very small, a friend of mine over revved his engine two years ago (doing a time attack trial) he payed for a partial rebuild and didn´t change rod bearings because "they looked fine"
Now his engine is out again to change.... rod bearings.
Big money spent twice is not good at all.
Ouch, poor guy, I truly, truly feel for him!

Looks like I might just bring her home and wait to get this figured out...I still feel just nauseous and tired-out, it's like being in a bad dream and not being able to wake-up!

Although I have to say that I do so love rennlisters and the 964 community, you guys make a huge difference and I am genuinely so grateful to be a part of it.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:31 AM
whidbey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael S.
If Steve Weiner is willing to be openly critical of another business' product, that is good enough for me... I would steer clear!
+993
Old 10-06-2011, 01:20 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Steve, can you elaborate? It seems a lot of folks do their own successful DIY rebuilds and so it amazes me that a shop doing nothing but 100's of 911 rebuilds a year would not have this down to a science after so many years...? Could this possibly be worse than buying a high mileage engine replacement and having it installed for a higher price?

I'm already so exhausted from thinking/worrying about this...maybe I should just park her. I just hate the thought of that...
I did my own rebuild from a spun bearing and it still cost a bundle. I didn't add it up, but it was north of 6K, and I didn't replace the pistons. But you have to remove and clean or replace the entire oiling system, which is more than the engine work.

So you will likely need to replace the oil pump ($1000), and have the case cleaned, and the squirters replaced ($500). Crank turned and/or polished.

I would not trust just anybody to do the right thing. I worked with Jerry Woods Enterprises to help me with my rebuild, and they machined my case to fit a gt-3 oil pump for which ended up costing about $500 less than the 964 part, and it pumps better (?)

So, take it for what it is worth, but 6K to rebuild will get you an engine that may work now. But for how long, and what parts were used in putting it back together?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:29 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Steve, can you elaborate? It seems a lot of folks do their own successful DIY rebuilds and so it amazes me that a shop doing nothing but 100's of 911 rebuilds a year would not have this down to a science after so many years...? Could this possibly be worse than buying a high mileage engine replacement and having it installed for a higher price?
Given that this is a public forum, I'm not at liberty to post the details of what I've seen, however if you wish to call me sometime, I'd be glad to share my observations.

My best advice is to either have your engine fixed or source a good used one and rebuild that one as needed. In the long run, you will be very pleased with the decisions.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Metal, really sorry to hear you had a bad experience! How many miles before you had to have your MM rebuild 'rebuilt'?
When I need a rebuild I'll do it myself.
Do a search on Pelicanparts; all the info is there.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Kahdmus,
You have a PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Do not get sucked into the MM vortex of low prices. A local pca friend of mine bought a car with a "fresh" MM rebuild with all receipts, bottom line:he spent more than the purchase price getting a rebuild. it was complete crap.

If it were me, as an example, I'd go to 20th street auto: http://www.20thstreetauto.com/cars/car273/index.htm

90 C2 with a tip so it can't have been overreved, 73k, buy the motor, and have your wrench reseal and install with your peripherals. Bet you could get it for $6k+/-. You'd want to check it out carefully and talk to them but I've been happy with them.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Laker
He also has a small shop where he does the engine rebuilds . He is in San Jose , I think you should stop by his shop and look around / talk with him .
Old 10-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
When I need a rebuild I'll do it myself.
Do a search on Pelicanparts; all the info is there.
I would likely do my own too.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:27 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Howard - any updates?

Marc
Old 10-31-2011, 07:51 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yes, H - how's things? Sent you a message via Facebook a while back.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Howard - misery loves company. I hadn't seen this before, I am so sorry to hear this and very very much hope that things are looking up.

Quick Reply: Noise at ~ 3200 revs (Updated: Car Died with lots of noise and smoke)