CHILD SEAT IN REAR OF A CABRIOLET

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:14 AM
l.chadburn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHILD SEAT IN REAR OF A CABRIOLET

Hi all

I am sure that this has been raised but I cant remember the outcome.

Its come to the time of year where events are starting to be organised and I want to be there, however I cannot get my wife and two year old in the car together. Therefore I either end up on my own or more oftern than not, not going at all.

Has anyone, or does anyone know if there is a way of fitting a child seat in the rear of a cabriolet which only has lap belts? And which car seat do I buy?

regards Lee
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Hi Lee,

If you search on 911uk there is a thread I put together (in the 964 section I think) on car seats in 964's. I wasnt looking into cabrio options, but I think the answer is that it simply isnt possible to get a toddler seat in. Maybe you can get a booster seat, but only when the kid is old enough. Maybe give Quickfit SBS a call - they are very knowledgeable with extension seat belts and also supply car seats. Lots of Porsche people in the UK have used them.

Good luck, Josh
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

As we speak, my car is with the mechanic for a custom solution. So sorry no pictures yet.

At least in the US, this seat is available and fits nicely in the rear 'seat':
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scen...antee/13004563
The black plastic lower front base actually fits over and in front of the front edge of the rear seat. The rear portion of the plastic base folds up and under.

I pulled off the seat belts and put metal rings in their place which can be used with the US LATCH system. Just behind the rear seats will be a metal bar which can be used to hook the rear LATCH strap over the back of the rear seat. This bar will also eventually provide 2 points of a 4 or 5 point harness. My biggest fear is interference with the moving top.

Here my old post where I got nowhere with. I will update with pictures when I get the car back:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nchor-row.html
Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very interested in pictures. Also, I posted and didn't get much response on a 4-5 yr old in the back and what kind of booster/seat to use. She's almost 45 lbs, and too big for her old seat.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the point of a booster seat is to raise the child so that they can safely use the adult shoulder strap.... which we don't have. Unless of course you step back and realize the whole back seat IS a booster seat. So I'm trying a 5pt harness
Old 03-22-2011, 11:11 AM
hawk911
Race Car

well, given that my MY '92 didn't come with "seats" at all, anything I do is custom.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

I've posted on this before as I have had a child seat in my UK cab for the past 5 years or so. It is a Mamas and Papas Securio (sp?) and fits with a custom belt harness that requires an additional mounting point to be fitted inside the rear wing which the top part of the seat mounting belt attached to. Quickfit SBS in London did the work for me (http://www.quickfitsbs.com/).

Only issue is getting hold of the seats - they are more secure than the older Porsche Prince ones but have been discontinued. But - my kids are now too big for it and just use a booster in the back now, so am willing to sell the harness and the seat if you are interested?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 PM
l.chadburn
Instructor

Hi bluey

I am very intrigued, do you have any photos of this mounting.

I have heard of this, but someone mentioned that it could put the roof out of line when fully down. is this the case?

Also how much did the work cost if you dont mind me asking.

Finally do you have a photo of the seat and harness, and how much would you be looking want for them both?

regards lee
Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Have attached a pic that I had handy of the seat in situ. You can see on the left how the two parts of the extra seat belt webbing go across the front of the seat, then wrap behind it to then come out again on the right.

Quickfit SBS put in place a reverse seat belt buckle onto the harness (the female bit is on the belt, and male attached under the RHS buckle mount of the other seat using existing mounting points).

Looking back in my history file the harness was £55 and the seat was about £110 but you can no longer get them. Looking for £100 for the pair, and you then just have to get the top mounting point fitted (Quickfit charged about 1.5 hours labour for it, and was just a block with a threaded insert welded under the wheelarch).
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2011, 06:47 PM
l.chadburn
Instructor

Bluey

Thankyou for your quick reply.

I will contact Quickfit and have a chat with them and I will get back to you.

Thanks again for the reply.

Lee
Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Just checking on the paperwork I had it is the Sicuro or Futura seat that can be used. They do sometimes come up on eBay but not that often.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:09 AM
l.chadburn
Instructor

Bluey

What age can the seat be used up to

lee
Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

I used it from about 14 months when able to be forward facing and my daughter who is 4 1/2 can still fit into it, but seat getting too small now.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:11 PM
l.chadburn
Instructor

Hi bluey

I had a chat with Quickfit today. My only issue is that it's in London, 4 hours drive from where I am.
i am going to try and see if there is anyone further North that may do the same job?

This is something I want to do but haven't got the time to travel down to London.

i will keep you informed

lee
Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 PM
l.chadburn
Instructor

Hi Bluey

Just wondered if you had any photos showing the anchor point from as many angles as possible as i'm trying to locate a company more local to me.

Lee

Quick Reply: CHILD SEAT IN REAR OF A CABRIOLET