Sponsored by:

Speed Sensor Location and NAV installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:57 PM
mmthorn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Sensor Location and NAV installation

Could someone tell me what color the vehicle speed sensor wire is? I am connecting a JVC NX5000 Nav/stereo unit and need to understand the routing of the VSS wire. Based on posts in this forum I plan on using the wire that leaves the R52 relay and attaches to the speedometer as opposed to the wire that travels between the left ABS wheel sensor and R52. Thanks in advance!

FYI...I have a 1991 C2 Cab.

Mark
Old 08-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The ABS unit in your car has 2 outputs for wheel speed:

FL - terminal 17 violet and red
FR - terminal 23 violet and green

The FL goes to the FCU within the centeral electrics and then to the speedometer as a green wire to terminal 4 of the speedometer.

The FR goes to terminal 12 of the automatic transmission control unit.

The outputs provide 45 square wave pulses per wheel revolution.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:14 PM
mmthorn
Track Day

Thanks to Geoffrey for identifying the location of the VSS on my 1991 C2 Cab. I connected the JVC NX5000 to the green wire on the back of the speedometer and the GPS works flawlessly. Additionally, the speed display on the JVC also seems to match the speedometer very accurately.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:58 PM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at this unit and thought it looked nice. However, it is slightly larger than the standard DIN size. How were you able to get it to fit? Can you post some pics, please?

Thanks,
Clay
Old 10-05-2008, 12:13 PM
mmthorn
Track Day

Clay, I had no problem with the fit on the JVC nx5000. No mods needed to the car other than removing the original DIN mounting bracket and replacing it with the JVC supplied DIN mounting bracket.

For my installation I also performed the following:

o Installed GPS antenna inside the Hi-Stop light housing (cabriolet). In order to make room I replaced the bulb with an LED light stick from Oznium. Looks good and everything can be returned to stock with minimal effort.

o Connected Pre-Amp outputs of JVC to stock amplifier under seat. Again...everthing can be returned to stock easily. I am contemplating adding a better amplifier and new speakers....without messing up any existing metalwork/factory wiring. In order to connect the stock amplifier I purchased a Female 7 (?) pin DIN connector and 4 male RCA connectors and fabricated a cable that connects the JVC pre-amp outputs (RCA female) to the Porsche amplifier cable (DIN male). This is the hardest part of my installation because the wires are so small and soldering the DIN contacts is difficult.

o I purchased a wiring harness for power from Crutchfield. The Crutchfield wiring harness comes with speaker connectors that can be used if you choose to bypass the amplifer and connect the JVC internal amplifier directly to the speakers. If I were to do this installation again I might forgo fabricating the DIN adapter cable and use these speaker connectors. The JVC amplifier is probably better quality than the original Porsche amplifer.

Mark.

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor Location and NAV installation