Sponsored by:

1990 964 Exhaust/fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:44 AM
96foe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 964 Exhaust/fuel smell

When I drive my car I get a fuel or oil/ exhaust smell. I cant pin point exactly what it is. However, I read that oil leaks can drip on the heat exchangers and get sucked in to the interior. So I had an oil leak fixed which was coming from the valve cover gaskets. It has been about a month and it still stinks. It not only stinks in my interior but it gets into my clothes! Also when I have the heat on it doesnt seem to smell from the vents. What I do smell is an odor from the driver side floor mat area and under the drivers seat. Where is this coming from? is it a possible fuel smell? And if so what part of the tank is prone to leak? I checked the filler neck and it has already been updated. please help with any info. One more thing. after driving it I also get a bad taste in my mouth (Im not kidding) This is driving me mad please help.

Thanks,Derek
Old 09-08-2007, 01:36 AM
74carreraturbo
Racer

does the car have a completely stock exhaust? Since my cat bypass pipe has been on, I definitely smell a little fuel and oil but not enough to get on my clothes.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:30 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

I mean no offense to 993James, but we are talking very slight smell here, right? And no fuel dripping on the ground? If that's the case I don't think there is any reason to panic. From what I read you are not sure it is even fuel, it may be exhaust and or oil, no? Be strategic and calm. Cars that show up at a shop on a roll back cost more to take home. Or at least that's my experience.

I recommend a good power washing of your engine and engine compartment. I've had other vehicles that get something stinky in there at it takes many months to get out. Do you smell it stronger in the engine bay or in the front trunk? Take it for a spin and then sniff around and let us know where your sniffometer says it might be coming from.

BTW, welcome to Rennlist. I might as well be the first to say it: Post some pictures.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:09 PM
96foe
AutoX

Default fuel smell

The exhaust is stock and I did some sniffing. There seems to be a fuel odor coming from the trunk. But shouldt you smell a little fuel because there is a gas tank in their? However this is my first Porsche, So I dont know. Just to give you an Idea what I smell on my clothes, If you guys have ever ridden a dirt bike and smelled your clothes afterward this is what I smell like.

Thanks for the welcome, DM
Old 09-08-2007, 04:41 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Fuel odor from back of car=carbeque listen to james...

Fuel odor from front of car JD is right, not so bad, check a few places, first the rubber tube between the filler neck and the tank, easy to get to, this can be either old and cracked or simply a bit dried out and loose,check the plate that holds the fuel sender unit on the top of the tank, sometimes the gasket gets dried out, it should be tight, then look under the back of the front right wheel for any sign of leakage from the access plate for the fuel pump, if so the rubber lines to the fuel pump or the pump itself could be leaking. My money would be on the filler neck...

If the car isn't running rich or you've taken the cat off or bad o2 sensor, they all smell a little bit, that's part of the charm, but if you smell strong odor of gas you want to make sure you don't have a leak.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:00 AM
96foe
AutoX

Default pics

my 964Name:  IMG_2787.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  98.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2789.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  106.1 KB

Quick Reply: 1990 964 Exhaust/fuel smell