Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I jumpered the ISV ports but can't change idle.. why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I jumpered the ISV ports but can't change idle.. why?

been trying to track down lumpy lean idle and lean cruising past year. When I jumper the ISV port and try to increase the idle it won't increase. The main focus of my testing has been leaning towards a big vacuum leak but have not been able to find it. Would not being able to adjust the idle be an indicator of a large vacuum leak that it is so big that the tiny screw on the TB wouldn't have any affect?
Old 08-21-2016, 06:35 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same issue, investigation lead me to discover that the ISV was not getting power because the PO hacked up the harness that fed power to the valve. My solution was to delete the ISV and not look back. I have a rock solid 1000 rpm idle and the car is running the best it ever has.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:42 AM
944Phil
Racer

Your ISV might be dead or in need of a cleaning with carb cleaner.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:33 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

but when I have a jumper wire or not the idle speed does not change at all while adjusting the screw.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:50 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpine951
but when I have a jumper wire or not the idle speed does not change at all while adjusting the screw.
Do you hear a difference when you attach the jumper wire? Check when the engine is cold - that way the ISV should be mostly open and you should hear the difference when you disable it. If you don't notice any difference then it might be stuck open.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:12 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that is strange. As other posters have said, you should hear it when you jump the ISV. By hear it meaning slight change in engine rpm when you jump it.

After that, are you saying that no matter which way you turn the idle screw (on top of throttle body), it's not changing the idle?

Are you still on original throttle body seals?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:17 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Yes that is strange. As other posters have said, you should hear it when you jump the ISV. By hear it meaning slight change in engine rpm when you jump it.

After that, are you saying that no matter which way you turn the idle screw (on top of throttle body), it's not changing the idle?

I was thinking more of the hissing noise that you can hear when it's open, since if you have a rough idle to begin with you might not notice a change in rpm.

Last edited by divil; 08-23-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:01 AM
Alpine951
Drifting

I hear no change in idle speed when jumpering. The TB seals where changed out 7 or 8 years ago. Recent multiple intake pressure tests show no leaks at the TB.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:42 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Originally Posted by Alpine951
I hear no change in idle speed when jumpering. The TB seals where changed out 7 or 8 years ago. Recent multiple intake pressure tests show no leaks at the TB.
Interesting. Have you done any of the electrical test steps on the ISV?
Old 08-25-2016, 10:41 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I need to do some searching, but IRRC there is a inline fuse somwhere in the harness coming from the diagnostic port in some years. I have the same issue, though I was able to achieve a 800rpm idle in all conditions, I am nearly bottoming out my idle adjustment screw
Old 08-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Alpine951
Drifting

Interesting. Have you done any of the electrical test steps on the ISV?
No, but I am thinking of just removing the isv and capping of the intake and maf pipe.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:35 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Originally Posted by MM951
I need to do some searching, but IRRC there is a inline fuse somwhere in the harness coming from the diagnostic port in some years. I have the same issue, though I was able to achieve a 800rpm idle in all conditions, I am nearly bottoming out my idle adjustment screw
Yes that is definitely a good idea - fuse or no fuse, getting a multimeter across those ports would be prudent.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you checked the condition of the o-ring at the throddle body to intake manifold?
Old 08-27-2016, 05:59 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar problem on my 911 3.2 which uses the same ISV. What i found was the operation of the ISV was intermittent. I think there must have been a dead spot in the armature because if i tapped the ISV down or up (moving it up or down on the shaft) it would work or stop working depending on direction of my tapping. I have gotten the ISV out before without pulling the intake, you can snake it out from the front with the intercooler pipe and air box (if you still have it) out of the way.

You can hook up a 9v battery to the leads and alternate the polarity to open or close the ISV with it still installed on the car, you should hear and feel the ISV open and close.

Its possible you cant adjust the idle because the idle screw is at its max adjustment range due to the ISV being stuck in position.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:39 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Have you checked the condition of the o-ring at the throddle body to intake manifold?
No, but under a pressure test there is no indication of leak there or when spraying some starting fluid there.

Quick Reply: I jumpered the ISV ports but can't change idle.. why?