Oil Cooler Housing Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:52 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Housing Seal Replacement

Planning on tackling the seals on my leaking oil cooler housing (the console that the oil filter attaches to) and have reviewed both the Clark's Garage and 924/944/968 FAQ Procedures.

I have the right seals and the proper alignment tool for my car, but I have a stupid question:

Do I need to drain the oil and coolant before I do this procedure??

Clark says to drain the coolant, the FAQ doesn't say anything and neither mention the oil. Any and all insight is appreciated.

Fingers crossed, if this goes well I may be able to finally get rid of that drip pan I've had in my garage for 11 years, lol.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not drain either when I replaced mine. It makes a bit of a mess, but draining everything out of the block is tough anyway
Old 06-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

It's a mess either way, and I suppose you don't "have" to drain, but I drain both. You have to pull the oil cooler lines and there is oil in the housing etc. The more of it that ends up in a bucket, and not all over you and the floor, the better as far as I'm concerned. It's a bit dated, but here's another write up that may help:

http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951..._seal_repl.htm
Old 06-19-2015, 06:23 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks guys, that helps.

Thanks for the link too Tom, funny enough, I went to bookmark it and realized I already had...and then had forgotten about it.

I'm doing a turbo/belts/water pump/oil cooler extravaganza in the next few weeks but would like to be able to break it up a bit, thus the "do I need to drain" question.

Cheers!
Old 06-21-2015, 12:48 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

I would recommend draining the coolant from the block via the drain plug on the block. It will still make a mess, but a more controllable one than coolant gushing out from the oil cooler console passages.

An important note: there is a short metal sleeve with an O-ring at each end that goes between the block and oil cooler console. Be sure to note which way it goes, check this when you remove it! The O-ring grooves are at different depths for each end; if you install it backwards, the O-rings won't seal properly and you will get oil/coolant intermix! Ask me how I know this . . . .

Otherwise, ensure that you have the correct OPRV centering tool, and when you are installing the console with the guide tool in place, gradually tighten down the 4 bolts in stages, and make sure the tool slips in and out easily after you torque down the bolts.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:25 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Droops83
An important note: there is a short metal sleeve with an O-ring at each end that goes between the block and oil cooler console. Be sure to note which way it goes, check this when you remove it! The O-ring grooves are at different depths for each end; if you install it backwards, the O-rings won't seal properly and you will get oil/coolant intermix! Ask me how I know this . . . .
Porsche updated that little part for exactly that reason. The new one, 951 107 152 03, is the same on both ends. You can use the old one if you're careful, but the new one is cheap...
Old 06-21-2015, 08:01 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

How the hell does one get that part out, anyway? Every time I try (well, two times), I damage it and need a new one.

I would drain the oil after removing the housing, so any water that made its way into the oil can be drained out.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:47 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
How the hell does one get that part out, anyway? Every time I try (well, two times), I damage it and need a new one.

I would drain the oil after removing the housing, so any water that made its way into the oil can be drained out.
I used vise grips with a rag and made it just barely grab and slowly worked it out. I'm not sure if there's an easier way but I didn't damage it. It took some time and patients
Old 06-21-2015, 09:10 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

http://www.connactivity.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faqoc.html
Old 06-22-2015, 01:08 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Porsche updated that little part for exactly that reason. The new one, 951 107 152 03, is the same on both ends. You can use the old one if you're careful, but the new one is cheap...
Hi Tom,

I looked at your excellent how-to article after I made my post. I must admit that I work at a Porsche shop and I had never come across this issue, probably because any of the cars that I had previously worked on already had the updated pipe---my '86 951 is a very early model. I regularly check TSBs on more recent Porsches, but with such an old model I guess we sometimes assume that we know it all!

Anyway, lesson learned, onward and upward!
Old 06-22-2015, 01:20 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Same here... There was no way I was going to get that out without scratching it. I wrapped rags and everything around it it was a royal pain in the ***, so I just got the new one anyway, I had an updated version already because I have a newer car
If I remember my cheapo meter correctly, the part was like $11 at Sunset
regards
Ed
Old 06-22-2015, 01:28 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Put a wooden dowel inside and use that to rock it loose...
Old 06-22-2015, 01:36 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Now he tells me !!!
Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That's genius! I almost want to tear one down to try it. Almost!
Old 06-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

That's genius! I almost want to tear one down to try it. Almost!
LOL

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Housing Seal Replacement