Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Radiator replacement: easiest way?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 AM
joker2cv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator replacement: easiest way?

As title i have to replace my leaking radiator: which is the easiest way to change it?
Thanks
Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the easiest way it to remove everything from the top. Some people remove the fan assembly through the bottom but I don't know if you can get the radiator out that way.

To pull them form the top I had to remove the coolant crossover pipe, the plastic water pump attachment, the AC belt (to get enough clearance for the electrical connectors on the fans), and also loosen (but not remove) the oil cooler mounting bolts.

Once the radiator is loose you will have to tilt it back and fiddle with it a bit to get it out. The lower hose port might give you some trouble but it will come out - this is where loosening the oil cooler helps.

If you're ordering parts in for this, you might want to include a new fan switch & seal, it's much easier to replace with the radiator out.

Overall it's a pretty easy job though.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

easiest way without a doubt is to pull it from the bottom. Disconnect all electrical connections and drain the radiator using the blue drain plug. I usually just pull the lower rad hose when draining and not removing the radiator to prevent the chance of stripping the plug. You will have to disconnect the oil cooler from its brackets and move it out of the way, although you wont have to open the oil lines. Pull the fan assembly out by rotating it past the oil cooler and then tilting it down and out. Then tilt the radiator back the same way and slide it down and toward the rear of the car as you pull it out. You will need to have the car in the air a decent height in order to have enough clearance with the ground to do it this way but its much easier than pulling it from the top, as most things on our cars are. By the way I don't have power steering, so if you do you may have to fiddle with that as well but it still shouldn't be hard.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:28 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

+1 on pulling it from the bottom.

John,. I realize you are probably cussing me right for not mentioning this earlier. lol
Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom. I don't think it can come out the top.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
+1 on pulling it from the bottom.

John,. I realize you are probably cussing me right for not mentioning this earlier. lol
Haha no worries, I did try but I couldn't figure out how the fans would come out the bottom unless I got the car a lot higher than I'm used to.

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Bottom. I don't think it can come out the top.
It can definitely come out through the top - that's how I did it. It's dead easy too once you remove a few things.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

I just removed mine and pulled it from the top. I am doing a timing belt, water pump, seals, etc job so I have everything removed from the front of the motor. It took me less than an hour to get it out. It was fairly easy with everything removed, so it may be easier to remove from the bottom with n the front of the motor intact. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I found the easiest way is to use a sawzall and cut off any metal attached to the frame. The radiator literally falls out...along with the headlight buckets, AC condenser, horns..etc.

Then order a 951 front clip from lart, and reweld all those pieces onto your frame. Yes, it takes several days, and some measuring... but the radiator came right out.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:39 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Originally Posted by m73m95
I found the easiest way is to use a sawzall and cut off any metal attached to the frame. The radiator literally falls out...along with the headlight buckets, AC condenser, horns..etc.

Then order a 951 front clip from lart, and reweld all those pieces onto your frame. Yes, it takes several days, and some measuring... but the radiator came right out.

You're a funny guy!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:46 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Out the bottom. Takes about 30 minutes.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:19 AM
joker2cv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys!

Quick Reply: Radiator replacement: easiest way?