Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Turbo safe boost pressures

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 05:56 PM
Matt B.
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 944 Turbo safe boost pressures

I have a newly purchased 87 951 that i plan to upgrade over the next year or 2. It is in the shop now getting a new timeing belt job and while it was gone i got a little bored and bought some stuff. I purchased an extra gauge pannel from lindseyracing.com, a varible boost controller and a boost "stage changeing" solinoid from dawesdevices.com, a cone air filter, and a chip kit from hpchips.com, a cat bypass pipe, along with a boost gauge. I have a toggle switch in the gauge pannel with the boost gauge that changes the solinoid from stock (strait to the waste gate) to rouiting through the varible boost controller when the switch is on. My question is what are safe levels to set a stock motor at with this setup. i will set it at least to 15 psi sience the wastegate shims with the kit that i am not installing raise it to .95 bar i believe. I am thinking about maby going to 18 psi or so at times. If someone would plese let me know what boost press. i can handle with a stock head gasket and a motor with 150k on it. Also should i go for a adjustable fuel press reg next. I plan to get an HR stage 3 maf as my next mod, then a new turbo after that.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:49 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At 150k it is past time to refresh the head. The seals and valve guides are worn but may still be holding ok. Stock head gasket rating is 1 bar or 14.7 psi, I think.

When you plan on your upgrades, I would get the Wide Fire head gasket, refresh the head then give it 17 - 18 psi. I would not run 18 psi with a stock head gasket,,but that's me. I have 75k on mine and I'm getting to put upgrades on; new head and WF gasket is certainly in there.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo safe boost pressures