ATL Porsche 944 hit and run driver arrested

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ATL Porsche 944 hit and run driver arrested

Not sure where the original thread went but this news is just out...

http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/cobb-po...t-1152403.html

Cobb police make arrest in hit-and-run death

By Joel Provano

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Cobb County police said Wednesday that they've made an arrest in a fatal hit-and-run motorcycle wreck Aug. 20.

No details were released immediately.

Police say Emanuel R. Mitchell of Norcross, a 31-year-old riding a black 1990 Kawasaki Vulcan motorcycle, died after being struck by two vehicles on I-75 in the southbound lanes near Windy Hill Road.

Mitchell died at the scene.

Sonni Smith, 23, of Atlanta, told police her Mazda 3 struck Mitchell after the driver of a silver Porsche driver made initial contact with his motorcycle. Smith, who will not be charged, said the Porsche driver fled.

Police had been looking for a gray or silver 1986 to 1991 model year Porsche 944.

Investigators were able to zero in on the make of the car from evidence recovered at the accident scene and the assistance of the manufacturer.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is the original thread...

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...n-the-atl.html
Old 08-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"help from the manufacturer". That's funny. I can't even get my local dealer to quote me any parts prices for a 944....
Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 AM
IMB951
Drifting

Good to hear justice has been served. Wonder what will happen to the 944... or if we'll find out if it was a Turbo or not...
Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I wonder if it was a member?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

They have some names but I haven't had any luck researching either one...

Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

It was a turbo car, who really cares about the car, many peoples lives are now going to be ruined. His name is Brandon Weston and I don't believe he is active on these boards... I know the guy.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJK78
It was a turbo car, who really cares about the car, many peoples lives are now going to be ruined. His name is Brandon Weston and I don't believe he is active on these boards... I know the guy.

Can you expand on the other lives that are going to be ruined besides the dead motorcyclist? Has this guy been driving a Turbo for a while? How do you know him? Sorry for all the questions - just curious. Probably would have been better for him if he stayed at the scene...
Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im guessing by the response that you think he is a good guy that made a bad choice.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:34 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh B
Can you expand on the other lives that are going to be ruined besides the dead motorcyclist? Has this guy been driving a Turbo for a while? How do you know him? Sorry for all the questions - just curious. Probably would have been better for him if he stayed at the scene...
Well first and foremost the life of the motorcyclist and his family are forever changed. Not to mention Brandon, his family and from the looks of things his girlfriend was arrested too.

He just got the car back in May purchased from a neighbor/friend who had left it to die, I work at a shop that got the car running again after it sat for a while. I am certain it would have been better for him to have stayed at the scene, I can only image he had been drinking or something but no reason to not stay and face the music.

Originally Posted by carlege
Im guessing by the response that you think he is a good guy that made a bad choice.
Yes that is what I believe. Although he looks like a thug, black guy with tons of tattoos on his arms, he is really a very very nice guy, just graduated from college and had a very bright future in the medical industry. Genuinely a very nice individual.

I last saw him just a few weeks ago at the quicktrip by my house, I had just gotten my car back on the road and he came running up to me and was so excited to get more stuff done to his car.

Certainly this does not or has not affected most people on here so I don't expect anyone to be overly sensative. But as I said a lot of lives are forever changed and this week has given me a reason to think about everything I do and the concequences just a bit more.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:55 PM
slap929
Pro

Glad that they caught who was at fault. Sucks that it has done so much damage to everyone involved. Just goes to show how small the 951 community is.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM
carlege
Drifting

Well first and foremost the life of the motorcyclist and his family are forever changed. Not to mention Brandon, his family and from the looks of things his girlfriend was arrested too.

He just got the car back in May purchased from a neighbor/friend who had left it to die, I work at a shop that got the car running again after it sat for a while. I am certain it would have been better for him to have stayed at the scene, I can only image he had been drinking or something but no reason to not stay and face the music.

Yes that is what I believe. Although he looks like a thug, black guy with tons of tattoos on his arms, he is really a very very nice guy, just graduated from college and had a very bright future in the medical industry. Genuinely a very nice individual.

I last saw him just a few weeks ago at the quicktrip by my house, I had just gotten my car back on the road and he came running up to me and was so excited to get more stuff done to his car.

Certainly this does not or has not affected most people on here so I don't expect anyone to be overly sensative. But as I said a lot of lives are forever changed and this week has given me a reason to think about everything I do and the concequences just a bit more.
Truly sad to hear this.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carlege
Truly sad to hear this.
+1

Hopefully he gets good representation and doesn't get into any trouble he doesn't deserve.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

The info on the update article doesn't sound very good for the Porsche driver...

2 arrested in fatal Cobb hit-and-run

By Joel Provano

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Cobb County police have arrested two people in a fatal hit-and-run motorcycle wreck Aug. 20.

Brandon Michael Weston, 32, of Smyrna and Pamela Kay Rice, 41, of Marietta were booked into the Cobb County jail Tuesday on charges of 2nd degree vehicular homicide; hit and run; tampering with evidence; and several other charges, Cobb police spokesman Dana Pierce said Wednesday. Weston was also charged with several traffic-related offenses. Both are being held without bond, Pierce said.

According to an arrest warrant obtained by Channel 2 Action News, Weston owned a 1987 silver Porsche 944 but did not have it registered and had no insurance.

The warrant also says that after the fatal hit and run, he and Rice conspired to have the car taken to a repair shop in Alabaster, Ala., where the damage was repaired. The car was also painted black, and the shop's paperwork was doctored to say the work was done before the hit and run, the warrant stated.

Police say Emanuel R. Mitchell, a 31-year-old Norcross resident who was riding a black 1990 Kawasaki Vulcan motorcycle, died after being struck by two vehicles on I-75 in the southbound lanes near Windy Hill Road.

Mitchell died at the scene.

Sonni Smith, 23, of Atlanta, told police her Mazda 3 struck Mitchell after the driver of a silver Porsche made initial contact with his motorcycle. Smith, who will not be charged, said the Porsche driver fled.

Police had been looking for the Porsche for 10 days.

Pierce said the break in the case occurred when someone became suspicious after seeing the damaged Porsche at the body shop in Alabama.

That person "began to research the Internet," Pierce said. "After locating several news stories through media outlets in the Atlanta area, the individual contacted the Alabaster Police Department. Detectives there ... notified investigators from the Cobb County Police Department’s S.T.E.P. Unit and within a few hours, parts that were recovered from the original interstate crime scene were matched to the damaged Porsche at the body shop," he said.

http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/2-arres...l-1152403.html
Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
carlege
Drifting

Oh man. Correction: a couple bad decisions. I guess he ran because he didnt have insurance.

Quick Reply: ATL Porsche 944 hit and run driver arrested