Clutch recommendation: Cup disc vs 930 disc

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Clutch recommendation: Cup disc vs 930 disc

Hi folks,

I've searched the archives and from what I've gathered, it appears the '76-'77 930 clutch disc [930 116 014 02] offers several advantages over the 951 cup disc: wider friction material surface area, slightly thicker friction material [~1 mm], and [possibly] a more robust friction material. It seems that when the early 930 disc is used with the factory 951 flywheel and pressure plate, the 930 disc bolts right in with NO modifications required and works well. Though some folks have experienced fitment and reliability "issues" when used with aftermarket flywheels [e.g. Fidanza] and pressure plates [e.g. Kennedy].

I was wondering if those who have had personal experiences with the 930 disc might provide a little feedback regarding fitment, useability, reliability, and operation versus the cup and/or standard disc. If it makes a difference, my '86 951 spends most of its time on the street. Thanks for your input.

Allen
Old 09-23-2007, 08:11 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That disc will not work with the stock pressure plate (930.116.014.02) unless you modify the spline housing (grind it down). I show all 930 discs as the same, so don't know what different disc you might be referring to.

I tried running 930.116.014.02 with a stock pressure plate and didn't feel like modifying the disc since I had a wide array of discs laying around. I used a spec 930 disc instead which didn't have the clearance issue with the throwout bearing. It'll rattle your teeth out if you don't rev match on your shifts. The stock sachs probably would not do that if you can make it work.

Just my experience.

BTW, if I had to do it again (and will after I get sick of it), I will give a KEP PP with a 930 disc a shot. I think the stock pressure plate is going not going to have enough clamping force with much more hp.

Quick Reply: Clutch recommendation: Cup disc vs 930 disc