Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assistance in choosing a paint supplier

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 03:04 PM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Assistance in choosing a paint supplier

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of repainting my '84 944. It was originally guards red, and I plan to repaint it in the same color. I'm having a difficult time picking a paint supplier however. I know the original paint was Glasurit, but there doesn't seem to be any suppliers near me. So now I'm down to picking between Nason and Chromabase. Obviously Chromabase is much better, but it is a bit pricy as well. Below are the quotes I was given. They seem high to me. House of Kolor seems much cheaper, and I have used that in the past, it seems to be a very high quality paint.

Prices are just for the base, no reducer or anything else.
Glasurit - $780/gallon
PPG - $314/Quart
Axalta (previously Dupont) Chromabase - $194/Quart
Nason - $74/Quart

I'm thinking I need about a gallon sprayable to do the car. PPG and Chromabase mix 1:1, so I only need 2 quarts. Nason and Glasurit mix 2:1, so I need about 3 quarts.
Do these prices seem ballpark to what others are receiving? I was expecting a bit less I suppose. Are there any online suppliers of Glasurit that anyone knows of? At $780 I would just go with the Chromabase, but if there is a better price somewhere.
Otherwise, has anyone used a House of Kolor paint that is similar to the Guards red? I don't plan on painting the engine bay and door jambs is the main reason I don't want to change colors by much. But a similar red would probably work great.
I plan to use SPI clear coat on top of whatever I choose. I've heard it's great. I've used House of Kolor clear in the past and wasn't super happy with the shine.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Old 02-18-2017, 09:31 PM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

House of Kolor makes one called "Euro Red" S2-SG104 that looks pretty close too.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:05 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

Quality automotive paints are not cheap Red paints generally have the highest prices, due to the pigments required.

It's been a while since I used Nason but when I did, it was only available in standard pre-mixed colors. So there was one shade of red, take it or leave it.

The Chromabase and the Glasurit can be custom mixed. The gallon price for most paints is about the same as 3 quarts. If you are going basecoat/clearcoat, you may need more clear than basecoat. I like to lay the clear on heavy so there is plenty of wiggle room for sanding out defects.

You are playing with fire, IMHO, if you switch mfgs between your basecoat and your clear.

The "quality" of the paint is probably most likely to show up in how long it stays looking nice. You need to have a time frame regarding your length of intended ownership and ask around at some local shops as to their experience.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:48 AM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

In past projects, I've used even duplicolor below a good clear coat and it's lasted years even. I guess I'm not too worried any of the brands I listed would go bad in under 5-10 years. I think any issues I have will be due to a mistake I made in prep work most likely. I've only painted bikes in the past, this is my first car. I 'm not too worried about SPI over any of them as it seems to have been tested many times now. I'm mainly looking to see if the prices I was quoted are reasonable given the product, or if anyone had other recommendations to look at. I've been reading some about ProSpray and Wanda brands on the internets, and they also seem to be popular choices. I might give a call to the local shop that carries them as well. That shop carries SPI as well, and even recommends it over ProSpray or Wanda from what I have heard.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:14 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Axalta / Dupont is a good choice imo.

Quick Reply: Assistance in choosing a paint supplier