Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:12 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
I was considering buying a used set of Sway Away torsion bars. Are they stamped for orientation... like in a way that wouldn't rub off?

The fear of them breaking makes me think buying new is better, but these are being sold from a reputable seller... but yeah, I don't want broken bits
the L/R is stamped into the end of the bar...you'd be grinding for a while to get rid of it
Old 01-05-2017, 11:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by SloMo228
I don't know that a bumpsteer kit is necessary unless you're also installing longer balljoint pins, and that's only necessary for more extreme lowering. As long as the control arms aren't angled up after the lowering, you will be OK. Because of the design of the McPherson suspension, having the balljoint higher than the control arm pivots does funky things to the suspension, although I am not qualified to make any kind of explanation as to why that happens. I'm sure there's a highly confusing white paper on the subject somewhere if you want to dig deeper, but that's the rule of thumb and the reason why longer balljoint pins exist.
my understanding is that depending on ride height, the steering tie rod can sit at a different angle (between crossmember and spindle) than the control arm.

(imagine this is turned 90* as it would be on the car)
stock ride height the control arm and tie rod look like: ||
at lowered ride height the ctrl arm and tie rod look like: |\ or /|

what happens here, is that when the wheel hits a bump and starts to travel up (compressing spring), the control arm and tie rod also move but will now travel in different arcs of motion. the control arm can only move up or down but the steering tie rod has left-right motion too...so a bump can make the steering wheel "bump" right or left.

i ran for maybe 8 or 9 years with the 1.25" weltmeister lowering springs and there was bump steer, but it's not terrible and you get used to it.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Ordered a new set of 28mm torsion bars, thanks to Spencer's suggestion... and now considering converting the struts to coil overs to help corner balancing & ride height. Not sure if I should go 250, 275 or 300 lb/inch coils up front... Googled bump steer solutions, but not sure on the best solution... please someone speak up if you know of solutions.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:05 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Ordered a new set of 28mm torsion bars, thanks to Spencer's suggestion... and now considering converting the struts to coil overs to help corner balancing & ride height. Not sure if I should go 250, 275 or 300 lb/inch coils up front... Googled bump steer solutions, but not sure on the best solution... please someone speak up if you know of solutions.
You were on the right track for a daily driver but now you have moved away from your original plan. Those 250 Welts with a 1.25in drop up front and a set of 28 torsion bars and same drop at the rear will do you well for a daily driver. You do not have to worry about correcting the a-arm angle or bump steer, they are minimally affected.

Coilovers and corner balancing on a daily driver is not required and really a waste of time and money. If you fit front coilovers only, set and then adjust them again lower than the Welts you planed on buying, you may not have sufficient height adjustment at the rear to easily level the car, unless you reindex the bars. Reindexing the bars is a pain, you really don't want to be in that position more than once on a daily driver. On anything much lower than the Welts you will also risk serious damage to your a-arms and you don't want those failing on the highway.

If you go low on these cars you need to think about a-arms that can take longer ball joint pins and that will keep the a-arms parallel to the road. At that point bump steer become an issue and you will be looking at methods for keeping your tie-rods parallel also.

I'm sure you will do as you wish but imo there was nothing wrong with your original plan apart fitting new bushes and upping to 28 bars at the back like v2 suggested.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:29 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Great feedback MAGK944. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:49 AM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

1988 944 non turbo.
Want to lower the car a little bit and want to stiffen the suspension. I've never lowered a car before.
Hello Noahs944. What is your use case here? Are you just street driving and looking to improve the handling of your car or do you have some track time in your plan.

I just acquired a 944S recently and I've been scouring this forum for info about updating the suspension too. I am planning to set my car up for auto cross, DE, and maybe a SP3 or Chump eventually.

Keep us posted on your results.

Bill
Old 01-06-2017, 03:35 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...4bumpsteer.htm

R
Old 01-06-2017, 03:58 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Coilovers and corner balancing on a daily driver is not required and really a waste of time and money.

Hi, I don't agree with this, more so especially if every corner has been changed, modified, lowered and everything needs setting up etc..
(4 wheel alignment, Geo & ride heights)

Corner weighting near 555lb's on each corner (on y car) has in two words made the chassis "Incredibly Balanced" and if as many on here the car is being designed and modified for hard street use and not just trips to the Mall, then it does benefit having a well set up chassis besides many members also do track days also.

Of course it's dependant on how fussy and particular people are, and again there's a fair amount of members here that go to great lengths to extract as much performance as possible.

MAGK944 If you go low on these cars you need to think about a-arms that can take longer ball joint pins and that will keep the a-arms parallel to the road. At that point bump steer become an issue and you will be looking at methods for keeping your tie-rods parallel also.
My arms are not parallel at all but higher at the ball joint end, does somebody make a specific kit for the stock aluminium A arms, or is it a new complete arm?

R

Last edited by 924srr27l; 01-06-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:01 AM
MistaX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coilovers and corner balancing on a daily driver is not required and really a waste of time and money.
Completely disagree. Spending money to upgrade a suspension but not spend a tiny bit more to actually get it working 100% right? You're changing everything on the car. Balance it. If your side to side weights are off the car will take lefts better than rights, or vice versa, and they can be far off pretty easily.

Last edited by MistaX; 01-06-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:13 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 924srr27l
Hi, I don't agree with this...
Originally Posted by MistaX
Completely disagree....
Like I said, you will do your own thing regardless of what my experience has taught me or what others more experienced than me will advise you to do.

Do you really think that after perfectly corner balancing the car, taking into account the weight of the driver and half a tank of gas, you are going to notice any difference using the car as a daily driver on a public road? Maybe on 1% of your daily driving you can push it a bit around some twisties and even then you will be nowhere near what you push these cars on a track.

...My arms are not parallel at all but higher at the ball joint end, does somebody make a specific kit for the stock aluminium A arms, or is it a new complete arm?...
...and herein lies the problem. Like I said those 250lb and 1.25in lower Welts do a great job on a daily driver matched with 28mm torsion bars, new bushes and uprated arb's. Here is someone much more experienced than me telling you the same thing <Clarks Garage> and v2 on this thread basically said the same. Also Weltmeister must have done their development and research back in the late 80's and determined that any lower than 1.25in would probably compromise the control arms. In truth you can go a little lower but they must have built in a safety margin, very wise! So, you want to go even lower and fit yourself some coilovers on your daily driver. What will happen is your control arms will not be parallel to the road like Porsche recommends in all their 944 technical manuals and this will cause undue stress to your control arm ball socket and they will fail.

So you fit longer control arm ball joint pins or different control arms to correct this, there are a few solutions out there. You will now notice your steering feels off and that is because your steering tie-rods are now not level. So you fit some sort of bump steer correction, again there are a few solutions out there.

Now that you have something that is at least as safe as stock, when the car left the factory. Start experimenting with different spring rates. Don't forget that when you fit different poundage springs you will have to account for the length of those springs to maintain the adjustment range on your coilover dampers, so get your calculator out. You will also have to reindex those torsion bars and corner balance again. Repeat the whole process again and again until it is just perfect, trust me you will always find fault and feel the need to tweek.

So well done, you are now good to go on your racecar inspired daily driver and have the maintenence requirements of a track car to prove it. Have fun on your drive to work!

...or take the best and simplest solution offered to you by many more experienced than me on this forum. GL

A solution from one company for early steel arms:
<longer control arm pins>
<bump steer correction>
Old 01-06-2017, 12:15 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Being cheap, I set my ride height such that I can still use my existing floor jacks. (-20mm up front and -30mm in the rear with 10 gallons of go juice)
Old 01-06-2017, 12:23 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Thanks mate. Those look well built.
-----
Magk944,
I think you understand the situation well.
Regarding the coil over conversion (seen here http://www.ground-control-store.com/...p/II=77/CA=219) I wasn't going for this with the intention of making it lower than 1.25" but just having another means of tweaking rather than the TBars.

Your argument is sound and to be fair to the stock 944, I think it handles great on the streets, but way soft for Autocross... the 250 lb/inch will easily be an improvement.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:36 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Noah, if you don't have the front springs yet, we have a spare set we can sell you for a good price.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:21 PM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Do you really think that after perfectly corner balancing the car, taking into account the weight of the driver and half a tank of gas, you are going to notice any difference using the car as a daily driver on a public road? Maybe on 1% of your daily driving you can push it a bit around some twisties and even then you will be nowhere near what you push these cars on a track.

...and herein lies the problem. Like I said those 250lb and 1.25in lower Welts do a great job on a daily driver matched with 28mm torsion bars, new bushes and uprated arb's. Here is someone much more experienced than me telling you the same thing <Clarks Garage> and v2 on this thread basically said the same. Also Weltmeister must have done their development and research back in the late 80's and determined that any lower than 1.25in would probably compromise the control arms. In truth you can go a little lower but they must have built in a safety margin, very wise! So, you want to go even lower and fit yourself some coilovers on your daily driver. What will happen is your control arms will not be parallel to the road like Porsche recommends in all their 944 technical manuals and this will cause undue stress to your control arm ball socket and they will fail.

So you fit longer control arm ball joint pins or different control arms to correct this, there are a few solutions out there. You will now notice your steering feels off and that is because your steering tie-rods are now not level. So you fit some sort of bump steer correction, again there are a few solutions out there.

Now that you have something that is at least as safe as stock, when the car left the factory. Start experimenting with different spring rates. Don't forget that when you fit different poundage springs you will have to account for the length of those springs to maintain the adjustment range on your coilover dampers, so get your calculator out. You will also have to reindex those torsion bars and corner balance again. Repeat the whole process again and again until it is just perfect, trust me you will always find fault and feel the need to tweek.

So well done, you are now good to go on your racecar inspired daily driver and have the maintenence requirements of a track car to prove it. Have fun on your drive to work!

...or take the best and simplest solution offered to you by many more experienced than me on this forum. GL

GL

Thanks for the Ball joint and Bump steer links,

Sorry is all of the above directed at me and my car, or the OP? or both ?

R
Old 01-06-2017, 02:32 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

...Sorry is all of the above directed at me and my car, or the OP? or both ?
Just me ranting on, apologies if it seemed directed at anyone, not meant that way.

OP simply wanted some basic suspension upgrade advise for a daily driver that escalated to coilovers, high spring rates, geometry correction, all of which was confusing the issue and way beyond what the op asked for. I just wanted to bring everything back to earth and explain what was best for the question asked.

btw the work you are doing on your car is quite awesome!

Last edited by MAGK944; 01-06-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: .

Quick Reply: Lowering Suspension Questions