Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure/OPRV problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 02:33 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure/OPRV problem

My ’89 951 has no oil pressure. A mechanic used a mechanical gauge in place of the oil pressure sender and verified no oil pressure. I didn’t have the spare money at that time to have them go further so I towed it home. I pulled the OPRV, but only got the outer threaded part, spring, and part of an O-ring out. The inner most “piston” piece is stuck. (I’m guessing the other piece of O ring has it stuck.)

I have a couple questions. First any ideas on how to get that piece out without having to take the whole oil filter console off? I have a rod that is very close in diameter to the opening in the back of the piston and have tried to pull it out by using that. I could get ok grip with it, but not enough. I either need to find something that can go into the hole and expand to grip it (I tried some wall anchors, but the hole was too shallow for any I could find) or my last ditch thought was to use a metal epoxy to attach a bolt in the hole in the piston and then try washers and a nut on the bolt sticking out to slowly pull it out. Or am I completely off base and should just forget it and pay some to pull the filter console, etc.

Second, I have read contradictory statements on here as to if oil will come out the hole if you crank the car with the OPRV removed. I have seen it stated that if everything else is good oil will come out the opening and others saying it won’t. I know with part of mine stuck in it is technically not removed, but I would like to get it straight for testing assuming I figure out how to remove the last piece.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:07 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got a real problem. I would pull the oil filter assembly just to confirm there isn't something even worse hiding there. Depending on how long you ran with no oil pressure, you may want to seriously consider replacing the main and rod bearings.

Based on your description and the year of your car, there is no reason why the OPRV should have separated. It's surprisingly difficult to get the OPRV to separate when it's on the bench, so for it to separate in the car means the OPRV must be bound-up badly.

Personally, I would invest the time and effort to disassemble everything to determine the cause before you go about sorting the symptoms.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:51 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

You could get a rod with a very tight interference fit, and put it in a cold freezer. Then drive it in, and wait for it to warm up.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If I were you I would pull the oil filter housing, would be a good time to replace gasket. I would then replace then OPRV using the correct tool to center it properly.

According to some if you pull the bottom section off the piston section of the OPRV it destroys the bottom O-ring and you must replace the OPRV. I know I have separated the two pieces and it did damage the bottom O-ring. Not sure if you can put it back without O-ring damage or not. I have replaced the bottom O-ring and the OPRV functioned OK.

The oil pump will not pull oil if the OPRV is not sealing properly.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:29 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by odonnell
You could get a rod with a very tight interference fit, and put it in a cold freezer. Then drive it in, and wait for it to warm up.
If I can find a rod the right size, I will give that a try.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:11 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charlie
If I were you I would pull the oil filter housing, would be a good time to replace gasket. I would then replace then OPRV using the correct tool to center it properly.

According to some if you pull the bottom section off the piston section of the OPRV it destroys the bottom O-ring and you must replace the OPRV. I know I have separated the two pieces and it did damage the bottom O-ring. Not sure if you can put it back without O-ring damage or not. I have replaced the bottom O-ring and the OPRV functioned OK.

The oil pump will not pull oil if the OPRV is not sealing properly.
Well I know one of the O-rings has already been destroyed, since I pulled out a piece of it, not the whole thing. I know the O-rings can be replaced, but I've pretty much decided to replace the whole OPRV at this point.

I think I will try the idea above to remove the OPRV. If I get it out I will verify the alignment is good with the tool and if it is just use an new OPRV. If not, then do full job of removing the oil filter console.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

strong magnet?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:12 PM
lonestar944
Intermediate

Maybe an internal pipe wrench? You can find them at Home Depot in a pack with 3 different sizes. I had to use one to help remove a thermostat inner seal once.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:11 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

I wasn't familiar with internal pipe wrenches. The style of the cheap ones might work, but I saw an expensive version that looks very promising. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:42 PM
lonestar944
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CO951
I wasn't familiar with internal pipe wrenches.
I wasn't either until I tried to remove that pressed in seal (I think I read about them on 944online). You might try that or an "easy out" bit. They come in various sizes and are normally used to remove bolts that are broken off. Insert it and screw counter-clockwise. Good luck.

Tim
Old 09-30-2016, 05:51 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You know, considering how important the whole oil thing is for the engine, it would behoove you to pull the oil filter housing just to be safe, so you don't score the internal surface where the OPRV fits.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:51 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

I went to Home Depot at lunch and the smallest internal pipe wrench they had may be a little too big, but I bought it and will see. I saw pipe removal bits that are similar to the ones for broken screws, but I don't think they will help, since the piece isn't threaded. It should just slide out, but appears to have a broken piece of O-ring wedged between in at the side that is holding it very tightly.

Quick Reply: oil pressure/OPRV problem