Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hatch seating issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 04:19 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hatch seating issue

so I had on my list to refurb a bit the hatch release mechanism.

so I cleaned the pins and lubed up the release mechanism a little. At some point in an order I ordered these little hatch seats, or whatever they are. previously I was barely able to get the hatch open. Now with them in the thing doesn't want to close all the way and I am dealing with a bit of exhaust smell in the cabin as i drive around. this is a pic of the other one i haven't put in yet, I have the other one in the formerly sticky latch. seems to be seated as far down in the space as it could go and obviously has the wide side facing up to where the pin would come.

Im wondering if these are even the right part for my 924S or if there is some other trick, like pushing these even deeper in than they are (which feels as far as they can go, but maybe i should ram them in more with the end of a socket wrench or something?)
Old 08-22-2016, 04:44 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Are these the Only944 seats? If so, they were sized for worn pins. They won't work with new/unworn pins.

"Hatch Pin Seats might not be a perfect fit for everyone. They are designed to fit a car that has some wear on the locks and pins.(Most of us) If you have the original hatch pins then there is a 99.9% chance they will work perfectly. If you have new hatch pins then there is a slim chance they will work correctly. The newer the pins are the more likely you will need to modify (sand) the inside of the hatch pin seats to make them fit. These parts need to be a very precise size to work correctly."
http://only944.com/partscatalog/only/hatchpinseats/

Last edited by KVDR; 08-22-2016 at 04:45 PM. Reason: quote added
Old 08-26-2016, 12:18 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's the way I dealt with this and Kyle agreed after we talked about it: wrap a piece of medium grade (100 to 80 grit) sand paper strips around the pin. It will look like a cone. Then take the receiver and turn it around the sand paper and repeat as necessary to open the dimensions of the receiver until it's fits properly. It works great.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

only944 seats work just fine with "new" pins.
I have the "reproduction" stainless pins in my car and no problem with the only944 seats.

They need to be pressed into place with a socket or something, there should be a good click when the sit.

the pins then need to be loosened and adjusted to re-fit properly.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:36 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this is helpful, but I did document (with pictures) some tips a few years ago for the seats (and how I trimmed) -

hatch pins, seats, etc

Quick Reply: hatch seating issue