Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing where the power loss is below 5500 944S

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:35 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chasing where the power loss is below 5500 944S

Rather than continuing on my older thread I am starting a new one just to document and see suggestions on where the issue is.

Problem: Power inconsistent or "down" below 5500. Once you hit that it kicks you in the pants...usually a dramatic change

- Sometimes adjusting my foot on the gas pedal seems to help...as if the air is off. I feel no change at WOT below 5500 RPM.

- Replaced so far:
  • Cam Sensor
  • Timed engine
  • O2 Sensor (tried unpluged and it was worse when cold)
  • AFM (most recent change)
  • Knock Sensors
  • Injectors sonically cleaned and back to spec
  • FPR
  • Hard vac lines

On my list to change:
  • TPS - maybe this is the problem and it is sticking open (as if at idle)?
  • Reseal throttle body

If it turns out not to be any of these could it be the cam followers? It does tick a lot once it warms up...kind of noisy. I tested all of them before head assembly and all were good.

Chris

Last edited by CVR_Rally; 05-27-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:40 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I don't recall if it was mentioned in the other thread - "timed engine" means cam timing with the dial gauge? Or just verifying on the cam gear?

My experience with a good running 944S is that the kick in the pants comes at 4000rpm or so.
Perhaps the cam timing is still a little off?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:47 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
I don't recall if it was mentioned in the other thread - "timed engine" means cam timing with the dial gauge? Or just verifying on the cam gear?

My experience with a good running 944S is that the kick in the pants comes at 4000rpm or so.
Perhaps the cam timing is still a little off?
Yes I timed the cam with the dial gauge.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by CVR_Rally
Yes I timed the cam with the dial gauge.
It was taught in the factory school, but never documented anywhere, that timing the engine with the dial indicators only sets the starting point for the relationship between the exhaust cam and the crankshaft. Once that is established, you must fine tune the exhaust cam timing by a reiterative process of adjusting the timing a few degrees at a time, until the car both has a stable idle and "comes alive" at 4000 rpm.

After rebuilding a 944S engine one time, it took me an extra ten hours to dial in the cam for proper operation.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:49 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by 931guru
It was taught in the factory school, but never documented anywhere, that timing the engine with the dial indicators only sets the starting point for the relationship between the exhaust cam and the crankshaft. Once that is established, you must fine tune the exhaust cam timing by a reiterative process of adjusting the timing a few degrees at a time, until the car both has a stable idle and "comes alive" at 4000 rpm.

After rebuilding a 944S engine one time, it took me an extra ten hours to dial in the cam for proper operation.
Do you remember where the timing marks on the Cam ended up with at TDC on the crank? Right now with the initial timing set on mine the mark on the CAM is slightly before the mark on the engine thus 'allegedly' giving me some advance. I'll just have to adjust it a little more.

Chris
Old 05-26-2016, 06:39 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

What about the knock sensors giving false readings?

On some other cars I know that the ECU will ignore their input past a certain (high) RPM because the sensors are exposed to a lot of mechanical noise and can't accurately detect real knock. Not sure if the 16v DMEs are also set up that way, but if they were, maybe 5000 rpm is the point where the timing is allowed back in.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:22 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

I forgot to mention I replaced those. Added to list.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:44 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

First try a higher octane fuel. The DME of the S had a fault that was corrected in the S2. The S model's DME had a 3 degree timing retarding feature that once knock was sensed the timing was retarded and then slowly advanced in .75 degree increments as the knocking ceased. The rate of return to normal curve required time so that the retardation remained effective over a relatively wide speed range. The S2 with the "Adaptive Knock Regulation" mod to the DME also retards 3 degrees with knocking. When knock stops the timing advances in.75 degree increments if needed but can go straight to full advance bypassing all the .75 degree increments unless needed. This according to my Factory 1989 944S2 Service Information.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:01 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by jhowell371
First try a higher octane fuel. The DME of the S had a fault that was corrected in the S2. The S model's DME had a 3 degree timing retarding feature that once knock was sensed the timing was retarded and then slowly advanced in .75 degree increments as the knocking ceased. The rate of return to normal curve required time so that the retardation remained effective over a relatively wide speed range. The S2 with the "Adaptive Knock Regulation" mod to the DME also retards 3 degrees with knocking. When knock stops the timing advances in.75 degree increments if needed but can go straight to full advance bypassing all the .75 degree increments unless needed. This according to my Factory 1989 944S2 Service Information.
Early on when I first got it it was unclear what obtain to put in but I only use 93 so to go any higher would require racing fuel. I know in some states you can't even get 93.

I also checked the manual back then and sure enough it recommends high obtain already. I'm going to be marking the cam and making adjustments.

Currently it does idle pretty smoothly. I should take some video because that's always better than trying to translate into word the on/off power you get.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:06 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Well so much for the knocking theory.

"Sometimes adjusting my foot on the gas pedal seems to help...as if the air is off. I feel no change at WOT below 5500 RPM." I know you changed out the AFM but did you check the wiper in the AFM? If the track is worn the wiper arm can be repositioned to fresh material. There are write ups on this repair.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:48 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Small update.
I got some seat time after the new AFM and timing setup by going to Lime Rock for PWC (1st race just finished).

It isn't 'that' bad and does seem to kick in at 4K but there still is a kick at 5500. I have noticed throttle response is much better after the timing setup and I can rev match much better than before.

I have a reseal kit for the throttle body and may still replace the TPS but I want to test it first.

I do appreciate everyone's input!

Chris
Old 05-27-2016, 08:20 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throttle reseal and TPS replacement are a pain on the S - I think you'll end up taking the intake manifold off with the throttle and J-tube attached to do it. I did. In addition to testing the TPS electrically, I'd try to check for leaks first.

Seems unlikely to me that either would be your root cause, though. If the DME gets an idle command from the TPS while measuring an open AFM door, I'm not sure what happens, but I'd venture to guess it would ignore the TPS. If not it would probably just stall. Anyone know for sure?

The kick in the seat, in my experience, is more like 3800 rpm, and you're not left wondering if it's happening. A kick at 5500 I have not noticed - I'll check it out.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:14 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok - I personally felt no extra kick at 5500 rpm today. Pulled hard and smooth to ~6400 rpm before I had to let up.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:46 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by gtroth
Ok - I personally felt no extra kick at 5500 rpm today. Pulled hard and smooth to ~6400 rpm before I had to let up.
Thanks for checking. I wish someone lived new me in CT. Trying to do this over the Internet is not that easy. Guess I'll futz with the timing some more.

Chris
Old 06-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Did you resolve the low compression? Check leakdown?
I was on the timing because I thought there was no way the compression would be low like that across all four jugs. I was thinking valve timing was keeping a valve open during part of the compression stroke and killing your compression PSI. A leakdown would be interesting. The Harbor Freight tester is not totally useless.

Quick Reply: Chasing where the power loss is below 5500 944S