Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts Cleaning (oil and gunk) - Your method?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 03:36 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I said old gas, like 12+ months old. It doesn't give off any fumes (that I can smell). It's turned a gold color and only smells if I get close to it and whiff. But I am going to use diesel once I run out of old gas. As far as harming the environment, this old gas already exists and there's nothing I can do about that, so I might as well use it for something (which is called recycling! ).

I'm not letting simple green touch aluminum parts! I'd even be worried about residual amounts gradually doing damage.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

If the gas will burn you can use it in a lawn mower no matter what the color is I've seen 5+year old gas burn and run well. Mix it with diesel to reduce the volatility. Stay healthy.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:05 PM
wingnut
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For on-car cleaning, mineral spirits applied with a spray wand cleaner (a.k.a. engine washer) like this: http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/de...RODUCT_ID=37CB but you can likely find it at some auto parts stores and other tool vendors. Apply some and let sit for a minute or so, and then hit it again with the sprayer. Remember, this is flammable stuff you are misting and must be very careful with sparks and flame in the vicinity. This gets a lot of stuff. Smaller parts can be soaked and scrubbed with stiff non-metal bristle brushes.

A note regarding Simple Green. There 2 formulations, one being safer for aluminum and called "Aviation Simple Green." This and others like SuperClean, etc. are very sticky and need to be rinsed really really well. These pair pretty well with an ultrasonic cleaner.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:05 PM
michael7810
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone tried using an old dishwasher? Seems like super hot water and soap would do a good job. Could probably get one for free. Just a thought.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:30 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

It might work with the right soap. Automatic dish detergent is bad for aluminum, or at least it was before they neutered it in the USA. It might be OK now since it won't clean dishes worth a damn.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:22 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good thread - definitely want to get one of those sprayer heads for my air compressor.

what would be a good method for general underside filth? my car is still in kind of an unloved state, especially tons of caked on junk on the transaxle, control arms, wheel wells etc.

also currently have the intake manifold off and there is a lot of grunge around the AOS and other parts. I have been using WD 40 and some simple green stuff on there - is there any better way to clean the outside of the engine and some of the plastic pieces. I also have some disgusting crud on the larger under the throttle vacuum hoses - was just going to use a toothbrush and simple green.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:31 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Those cans of engine degreaser foam at the auto parts stores work very well. Like mentioned above, use a stiff nylon bristle brush.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:10 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jbob
good thread - definitely want to get one of those sprayer heads for my air compressor.

what would be a good method for general underside filth? my car is still in kind of an unloved state, especially tons of caked on junk on the transaxle, control arms, wheel wells etc.

also currently have the intake manifold off and there is a lot of grunge around the AOS and other parts. I have been using WD 40 and some simple green stuff on there - is there any better way to clean the outside of the engine and some of the plastic pieces. I also have some disgusting crud on the larger under the throttle vacuum hoses - was just going to use a toothbrush and simple green.
For the underside, I have had decent (not perfect, but pretty good) results taking it to one of those coin-operated car washes with a jack and some jack stands. Obviously do this during a time where the car wash isn't busy.

The washes in my area have a "tire/engine degreaser" setting that works fairly well on undercar gunk. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then use the high-pressure soap to remove, then rinse. Be careful with the high pressure spray around areas with electronics or oil seals. You don't want to accidentally fill your transaxle with soapy water or anything like that.

Quick Reply: Parts Cleaning (oil and gunk) - Your method?