Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making blanks for the NA fog light housings

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:02 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Making blanks for the NA fog light housings

Upon installing a Euro front bumper, I'm looking into removing the stock fog lights (in the valence) and installing blanks, so there aren't huge holes there.

I don't think it looks bad right now, but to me, looks a little "4-eyes" because there are driving lights in Euro bumper already. It seems like some factory cars had foglights, and others didn't but I have yet to see a US market car without them. For that reason, making blanks makes more sense than trying to ship one from overseas (plus my valence is in really nice condition).

This is the look I'm going for:

I do not expect the blanks to be seamless, not really bothered by that as long as they are a decent color match to the car.

Nothing exists on the market and I can't find anyone who's done this before. Anyone have experience (or otherwise good information) about this sort of thing? I can see there being 3 main things:

1) Mounting. it makes sense to make an adapter (out of wood or basic steel bracket materials) to secure them via the stock fog light mounting provisions but maybe a tight friction fit to the inner lip of the cavities themselves would be worth considering.

2) Material and shaping/cutting. I was thinking plexiglass? It shouldn't have to be too convex, if at all, for a decent look.

3) Sealing/filling between the blank and the edges of the cavity. maybe not necessary if the material is cut relatively precisely, and mounted securely into the fog light mounting provisions.

All in, under $50 would be cool, not really adamant about this mod, just curious. And nothing permanent to the valence itself, it's in great shape and I want to be able to revert if it comes out badly.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

remove valence from car

buy a pound or 2 of the casting urethane used for transmission mounts from mcmaster carr...tape the **** out of the holes in the back, and pour the urethane into the hole, let sit and dry...

sand and paint
Old 11-25-2015, 03:38 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What are your thoughts on using a screen material, color matched to the exterior body hue, and utilizing the old light surround area as a snorkel for allowing cooler air to duct to the rotors ?

Some of us have done this for our track cars and the extra charge of air aids on hot day sessions. There used to be a plastic funnel adapter available from either AIR or GT Racing to attach on the backside with ducting material pointing at the pads and rotor .... just a thought.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:01 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

this is a good idea, especially if you don't want to hack up a good valence. have you seen a bumper with blanked headlight washers? I have never thought to look at how they are held in but i suppose due to the size they are just a pressed in cap.

I have just bought a foglight delete valence from Japan as I like a cleaner front too. I have also never seen a foglight-less valence in the US. They are not very common on RoW cars either and are most common on very early cars though I have seen them on a 944S before.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:08 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
What are your thoughts on using a screen material, color matched to the exterior body hue, and utilizing the old light surround area as a snorkel for allowing cooler air to duct to the rotors ?

Some of us have done this for our track cars and the extra charge of air aids on hot day sessions. There used to be a plastic funnel adapter available from either AIR or GT Racing to attach on the backside with ducting material pointing at the pads and rotor .... just a thought.
I've seen the ducting, they connect to a modified dust shield behind the rotor. The racecars I've seen that use the foglight holes in this manner look a bit too racecar-ish. maybe odonnell can look at two types of covers- one that blanks the foglight aperture and one that incorporates a trumpet a'la 964 RS for brake ducting?

Old 11-25-2015, 04:53 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

"me likey"
Old 11-26-2015, 01:42 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
remove valence from car

buy a pound or 2 of the casting urethane used for transmission mounts from mcmaster carr...tape the **** out of the holes in the back, and pour the urethane into the hole, let sit and dry...

sand and paint
I think that's a good idea... when I eventually get this car professionally resprayed in X years when that kind of room in budget finally appears. For now I'm looking at a temporary/non-permanent solution

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans

Funny, I actually had some! When I bought this car it had no fog lights, and had some scoops riveted into the slot at the bottom of the valence. The looked homebrew which was cool but I wasn't tracking the car, and sold them to someone on here for like $30 or something. I think it's a cool idea but I'm never experiencing brake fade around town, so I'm ok with just doing this for looks.

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
this is a good idea, especially if you don't want to hack up a good valence. have you seen a bumper with blanked headlight washers? I have never thought to look at how they are held in but i suppose due to the size they are just a pressed in cap.

I have just bought a foglight delete valence from Japan as I like a cleaner front too. I have also never seen a foglight-less valence in the US. They are not very common on RoW cars either and are most common on very early cars though I have seen them on a 944S before.
Yeah when you say blanked headlight washers, that's exactly what I mean. In fact today I was at lowes and saw some roll-up silicone sealant in the construction materials section that would look perfect...thin, but functional and easy on the valence.

BTW while I'm in here, I want to give a SHOUT OUT to 944UK on these euro bumpers. Straight up seller and no qualms recommending him to other users on here. I got a front and rear for less than a 951 nose conversion would have cost, even considering the fact I have actual bumper cover and support frame already. Parts showed up on time with all the needed hardware for a bolt on swap.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:49 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

+1 for 944UK. A few months ago I got a used manual RHD steering rack and a NOS late dash trim piece. Not cheap for me from the UK but worth it.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:25 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
+1 for 944UK. A few months ago I got a used manual RHD steering rack and a NOS late dash trim piece. Not cheap for me from the UK but worth it.
Agreed. Two rear bumpers and one front one so far. Everything is wrapped like a mummy and boxed to boot. A straight-up seller.

Quick Reply: Making blanks for the NA fog light housings