Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sway bar popped out of drop link

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:37 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Need to be careful with too much rigidity with the front swaybar. There needs to be some flex somewhere in the assembly. The control arms and the sway bar pivot in different planes, so the geometry of the swaybar rotation and the control arm movement starts to diverge when the suspension is pushed thru its range of motion. So something needs to flex. With the factory rubber bushing and the the single supports, there is plenty of flex, maybe too much. If you use solid bushings and the triangulated brace, there is no more designed flex in the system, so something may eventually break.

I use the triangulated braces, but leave all the rubber bushing in place. I have not had any issues with that configuration.
I think I will stick with this - it makes a lot of sense. As it happens I actually replaced all my sway bar bushings with rubber a few years ago, and they're all in great condition except the one under the PS reservoir
Old 08-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sway bar popped out of drop link

I think there is a concern with too much rigidity with the front swaybar. There needs to be some flex somewhere in the assembly. The control arms and the sway bar pivot in different planes, so the geometry of the swaybar rotation and the control arm movement starts to diverge when the suspension is pushed thru its range of motion. So something needs to flex. With the factory rubber bushing and the the single supports, there is plenty of flex, maybe too much. If you use solid bushings and the triangulated brace, there is no more designed flex in the system, so something may eventually break.

I use the triangulated braces, but leave all the rubber bushings in place. I have not had any issues with that configuration.
If Delrin is used, the control arm upped or lower drop link bushings have to be rubber to allow some flex. I have run Delrin on my track car for 8 years and have never had an issue. I do use the triangulating braces and my sway bar is the 30mm oem one.

There might be an issue if the rest of the front suspension is stock and worn and only the sway bar is really stiff as the body roll will be more significant and something will have to give.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:36 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I use the triangulated braces, but leave all the rubber bushings in place. I have not had any issues with that configuration.
Jim, have you been able to source any of the factory club sport bushings [arms, sways, torsion carriers] recently?
Old 09-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimi 944
If Delrin is used, the control arm upped or lower drop link bushings have to be rubber to allow some flex. I have run Delrin on my track car for 8 years and have never had an issue. I do use the triangulating braces and my sway bar is the 30mm oem one.
I know what the Racer's Edge website recommends, but I don't know if Karl is considering use of the triangulating bracket when using the solid inner and outer swaybar bushings, even if one of the drop link bushings is left rubber. The triangulating brackets and delrin bushings make a very rigid setup.

Good that you have not had a problem. Hopefully there is no issue. I made my comments based on a casual observation of the swaybar and control arm geometry, and the recollection of other posts (not only this thread), showing occasional failures of sway bar mounts/brackets/links with combinations of delrin bushings and triangulating brackets.

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Jim, have you been able to source any of the factory club sport bushings [arms, sways, torsion carriers] recently?
I have not checked on availability of the unique clubsport/cup suspension parts in several years. I still have a couple spares, and have a mix of cup and aftermarket bits (KMR and RE) on my cars. The rubber bushings for the 30mm front and 21mm rear cup swaybars are still available, as the 30mm is the same as the production 968 M030 parts, and the 21mm bushings are the same as for some 911 swaybars.

Quick Reply: sway bar popped out of drop link