Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 944 (S2) suspension question..

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:34 AM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another 944 (S2) suspension question..

Hi everyone! Haven't made an official post yet about joining your ranks here on Rennlist yet but I've been a long time reader of this forum & am very happy to finally be part of the family!

So here's my problem. I've searched for my option code sticker in the trunk & it appears to have been removed by a previous owner at some point. It has option M220 (LSD), possibly the optional M030 *brakes* unless I'm terribly mistaken and I'm thinking something around the possibility of M474 suspension.. I've already tried looking around older Rennlist posts regarding M031 and M474 but can't seem to find anything quite relating to my specific setup. As you'll see I have 3 pink dots on my front springs/coils and Bilstein dampers out back. Does that mean I have something unique or that I'm just plain silly? The car is 110%, bone stock.

Seems like quite the complicated suspension option list!! Anyways, I know there's some extremely knowledgeable people on here and am hoping for a little help. It would be greatly appreciated. Planning on a phone call to the dealer here soon this week for an official build sheet.

Pardon the rust on the calipers, been cleaning all week!

Thanks,

Connor

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...DhqX1FpS01BdUk
Old 05-25-2015, 06:12 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Connor, from your photos, it appears your car has standard, non-M030, brakes and standard, non-M474, struts/dampers.

Those front struts are probably OE Sachs/Boge, with stock springs. And the rear OE Sachs/Boge dampers were simply replaced with [nice] aftermarket Bilstein sports.

Looking good!
Old 05-25-2015, 02:19 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Connor, from your photos, it appears your car has standard, non-M030, brakes and standard, non-M474, struts/dampers.

Those front struts are probably OE Sachs/Boge, with stock springs. And the rear OE Sachs/Boge dampers were simply replaced with [nice] aftermarket Bilstein sports.

Looking good!
Thanks!

Guess I was overly optimistic. Was told it was all mechanically original by guy I bought it off of but must've been original owner from Japan before they sent it over. Not a big deal though. Appreciate the clarification!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:00 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
Guess I was overly optimistic.
Not to worry...you can easily replicate any of those options, with a few $$$, if you really wanted to.

Take a look at your brake calipers, front and rear. Look the same? That's because they are...same great, 4-piston, set up on all non-M030 951s and 968s. We call those "baby blacks".

The M030 option would have installed 928S4 calipers, AKA "medium blacks", in front only, and kept the same non-M030 caliper in the rear. M030 would've also equipped the 951/968 with Koni single-adjustable struts with threaded perches in front, and Koni single-adjustable dampers in back. For the 968, the M030 option put an additional barrel spring, with fixed perches, over the rear damper. M030 also replaced the standard 23.5 mm torsion bars with 25.5 mm bars for both the 951 and 968. Front sway went from 25.5 mm up to 26.8 mm for the 951 and up to 30 mm for the 968. Rear sway went from 18 mm down to 16 mm [yes, smaller] for the 951 and up to 19 mm for the 968.

The M474 sport damper option would have installed Koni single-adjustable, fixed perch, struts in front with Koni single-adjustable dampers in the rear. While similar to M030 dampers, these were valved for a little more compliance.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:00 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Not to worry...you can easily replicate any of those options, with a few $$$, if you really wanted to.

Take a look at your brake calipers, front and rear. Look the same? That's because they are...same great, 4-piston, set up on all non-M030 951s and 968s. We call those "baby blacks".

The M030 option would have installed 928S4 calipers, AKA "medium blacks", in front only, and kept the same non-M030 caliper in the rear. M030 would've also equipped the 951/968 with Koni single-adjustable struts with threaded perches in front, and Koni single-adjustable dampers in back. For the 968, the M030 option put an additional barrel spring, with fixed perches, over the rear damper. M030 also replaced the standard 23.5 mm torsion bars with 25.5 mm bars for both the 951 and 968. Front sway went from 25.5 mm up to 26.8 mm for the 951 and up to 30 mm for the 968. Rear sway went from 18 mm down to 16 mm [yes, smaller] for the 951 and up to 19 mm for the 968.

The M474 sport damper option would have installed Koni single-adjustable, fixed perch, struts in front with Koni single-adjustable dampers in the rear. While similar to M030 dampers, these were valved for a little more compliance.
Think I caught most of that already after some previous research, just was fuzzy on some of the details specifically regarding how to identify the M474 dampers. Seems like a pretty cool option (killer spec on your car btw). Remember seeing a thread about colored dots on springs and got all confused. Never bothered to look up what the S4 calipers looked like either , just assumed these were them because they were so meaty. Always learning!

Thanks again for clearing up all of the info! Really appreciate it! Guess it's time for the mods to begin!
Old 05-27-2015, 02:24 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Guess it's time for the mods to begin!
All in due time.

Drive the car a bit and let us know how she handles. Bilstein makes great dampers...depending when your rears were replaced, your back end should be firmly planted. Though, at this point, the front [OE?] Sachs/Boge struts have probably seen better days.

When you get a chance, post some photos of your new mistress.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:43 AM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

All in due time.

Drive the car a bit and let us know how she handles. Bilstein makes great dampers...depending when your rears were replaced, your back end should be firmly planted. Though, at this point, the front [OE?] Sachs/Boge struts have probably seen better days.

When you get a chance, post some photos of your new mistress.
Very true! I've had some fun with it already but nothing hard or long enough enough to determine what needs fixing. Probably brakes will need to be done sometime later this year though although they still feel good at the moment. Back end does feel really good but again, needs a proper outing. Wasn't thrilled with the different dampers front vs rear so really wanting to change those out as I suspect that they're original up front (not that they're necessarily terrible but you should really run the same front and back, especially when the fronts are so much older). Not really sure what direction I want to take with those so more research to go.

I'll make sure to take more pictures here soon this week or at C&C this weekend. Just finished a paint correction and wheel restoration so pretty thrilled with the outcome.

Last edited by DasSilberWedge; 05-27-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:17 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Fresh pads and quality fluid will work wonders with the factory 4-pot brakes.

See if you can score a ride in a local 944 with fresh Koni sport struts. Jason [at Paragon] carries the inserts [~$400/pair] and they're essentially M474 spec. Transformational...

Any idea how old the rears are? They would be fine with the front Koni struts, but, when it's time, Jason also carries the rear Koni sport dampers [~$300], to match.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:59 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

See if you can score a ride in a local 944 with fresh Koni sport struts. Jason [at Paragon] carries the inserts [~$400/pair] and they're essentially M474 spec. Transformational...

Any idea how old the rears are? They would be fine with the front Koni struts, but, when it's time, Jason also carries the rear Koni sport dampers [~$300], to match.
Wasn't ever told how old they were unfortunately. I'll just try it out once I get around to swapping the fronts and see how she goes.

Last edited by DasSilberWedge; 05-27-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:52 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm going to be in the same situation shortly - Have a 1989 S2 no M030 -

From what I can gather - better to keep the TB and go with higher spring rates? I'd really like to firm up suspension considerably - maybe 3/4 of the way between a full street and full track - can't go crazy hard as I track at Sebring and you need some healthy travel and rebound.

Anybody have any recommended spring rates? I plan on going with full poly bronze - are stock sways enough? I plan on going with a 255 tire on all four corners - will rebuild brakes and new rotors - anything else? Don't mean to hijack - figure I am asking a similar - if not more detailed question.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:20 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

400lb front/ 30mm rear TB's as a starting point?

My preference is heavier springs and lighter sways - but might not be quickest...

Talk with Carl Poetl at Racer's Edge - good source of info.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-30-2015, 05:20 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by g-50cab

From what I can gather - better to keep the TB and go with higher spring rates? I'd really like to firm up suspension considerably - maybe 3/4 of the way between a full street and full track - can't go crazy hard as I track at Sebring and you need some healthy travel and rebound.

Anybody have any recommended spring rates? I plan on going with full poly bronze - are stock sways enough? I plan on going with a 255 tire on all four corners - will rebuild brakes and new rotors - anything else? Don't mean to hijack - figure I am asking a similar - if not more detailed question.
No worries! I'd actually prefer to get a few ideas on what direction people are taking with their cars chassis wise anyways. I'm looking for something that I'll be able to take to the track maybe 2 or 3 times per year but that stays primarily as a road car, so your stuff is actually totally relevant. My original question was more to do with identifying what was already there so I could figure out what I had to do to get it eventually to how I want it to be.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

No worries! I'd actually prefer to get a few ideas on what direction people are taking with their cars chassis wise anyways. I'm looking for something that I'll be able to take to the track maybe 2 or 3 times per year but that stays primarily as a road car, so your stuff is actually totally relevant. My original question was more to do with identifying what was already there so I could figure out what I had to do to get it eventually to how I want it to be.
Mu recommendation is stiffer sway bars and lighter springs if it is a street car with ocassional track days.
I would keep the torsion bars but increase them to 28mm-30mm range thicknees ones. At the front, I recommend 250-350 lbs range springs. I would keep the front sway bar for now but upgrade the rear to an adjustable OEM 19mm or thicker aftermarket one. This way there will be adjustability for finer tuning.

I carry some of these items in stock.
Feel free to contact me.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g-50cab

You can go with stock sways and stick TBs but will need helper springs at the back and ride height adjustability will be complex due to the TBs In place. You can go with much stiffer springs (600 lbs and up) all around but will need GOOD shocks, better than just the Koni yellows. I have tried more than 4 different brands and types of shocks on my car and finally decided to buy real racing shocks in order to run really heavy springs and get adequate dampening. The other option is to get custom valving done on one of the cheaper options Performance shocks.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:45 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimi 944
You can go with stock sways and stick TBs but will need helper springs at the back and ride height adjustability will be complex due to the TBs In place. You can go with much stiffer springs (600 lbs and up) all around but will need GOOD shocks, better than just the Koni yellows. I have tried more than 4 different brands and types of shocks on my car and finally decided to buy real racing shocks in order to run really heavy springs and get adequate dampening. The other option is to get custom valving done on one of the cheaper options Performance shocks.
Define real racing shocks - I've blown two sets of Konis on my other car - finally went with revalved Bilsteins - seems the 944 performance route is mainly Koni (even ground control uses modified Koni's)

So either step up and buy K&W or even pricier Vonns from Elephant Racing? Dang - those are almost as much as I bought the car for...

Quick Reply: Another 944 (S2) suspension question..