Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris_924s - CHECK YOUR FUSES BROTHER!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:57 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chris_924s - CHECK YOUR FUSES BROTHER!

Well since I forgot to call you back, I'll post the story here.

The weekend before Fest '05 I finally fixed the burnt out driving light bulbs on my car which I had bought just the year before. Unfortunately they stopped working on the way home from the Fest.

If you remember I was in grad school then and lets just say the car sat for many many moons after that Fest and I barely drove it for years, while finishing college, leaving it in storage in Michigan while I moved to Oregon for a brief time only to leave it sit for a few more years while I built my current home. So to say the least I barely drove it and it collected more dust than miles unfortunately.

Fast forward to 2 nights ago I take the cover off the car and after finally charging the battery enough to start the car. I was checking that all the lights on the car worked all while noting that my driving lights "still" didn't work (of course because I've never fixed them). Like many people I just love running just my driving lights while driving in either early morning hours or dusk.

Mind you this is all at about midnight after driving back from visiting my mom in Indiana for dinner. I guess you could say the mood struck me to investigate the cause of the lights not working. Yes I know nearly 10 years is a long time to not address this, but all I can say is that I've been busy :-). I took apart the left driving light assembly to find out why the light wasn't working. Assuming the bulb had burnt out... it wasn't. The connections were not corroded. Just the opposite. They were still in pristine condition and appeared as clean and shiny as new.

After thinking to myself - could it be a fuse? I thought - no! It couldn't be that easy. Could I have been without my driving lights for close to 10 years because I overlooked a burnt out fuse? Yes you know where this story is going... I check my 7.5 amp fuse and guess what? Yes it was bad. I replaced it with the original spare 7.5 amp fuse that Porsche had put in the fuse box some 26 years ago before it rolled of the assembly line. Presto - both driving lights came on as bright as ever.

As I stand in my garage at around 1:00 in the morning I just cant resist the urge to bust out laughing at myself. Here close to 10 years have passed since I have had my driving lights working on this car and all I had to do was check and replace a simple 7.5 amp fuse.

And at this very moment I recalled Chris_924s' old signature line "CHECK YOUR FUSES" and recalled the countless times I have heard him mutter these words in the past and laughed even harder and longer. So much so that I woke my wife up and she came out into the garage to see why I was making so much noise!

I told her the story and she said. Does he still have my bucket

Some things NEVER change!

Take Care Chris!

Cory
Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Gobogie and chris_924 are two user names I haven't seen for a while! Welcome back and I'm glad you get to jump back into things with an easy fix like that.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:41 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Happened last summer with the AC. a few brutally hot days without it, one on a trip with the little princess - she was a trooper. Mental masturbation trying to figure out a plan of attack took hours. Repair took minutes.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:35 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If it works don't fix it.

It's funny after some time. I spent most of 10 years daily driving the 924S across the country working.
I carried a full set of tools for 2 years.

After lugging a full toolbox i trimmed down to save space. I carried a handful of spare fuses, ref sensors, 10 & 13mm wrenches and a fire extinguisher.

IT was all I really needed. 125k miles over the 6 years in a 25 year old 924S.

I pack all my stuff in a turbo suv now. I'm greyer and hopefully wiser now.

Best to all. Keep the rubber side down and check your fuses!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So rare these days to see post from the both of you. Hopefully, things are good for you guys.

Also, check those fuses.. Seriously though, if you have a old fuse box most of the time you just need to spin it a few times and it will magically work again.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

I thought it was "check your grounds".

No matter - good to see you two in the same "place". Now if we could get you both to attend the next 944Fest...
Old 04-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco

No matter - good to see you two in the same "place". Now if we could get you both to attend the next 944Fest...
Ouch baby, ouch.
Been busy with life. Would Love to see all you again.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:46 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco

"Check your f'ing grounds" is SidVicious. I think he is mostly in OT nowadays

He's right!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM951
"Check your f'ing grounds" is SidVicious. I think he is mostly in OT nowadays

He's right!
Yes. Mr. Sid Viscous is indeed "check your f'ng grounds". I actually fixed every terminal on his black early during 944Fest in Dan p's back yard. Drinking guitarists. Pete944 wailing away. Lawnmower races. Bonfire till dawn.

I remember it well. Over a decade has passed.

Quick Reply: Chris_924s - CHECK YOUR FUSES BROTHER!