Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Torque Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:47 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I always thought the slotted, or split, torque tubes were on the 3.0L cars (S2 and 968).
Old 02-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I always thought the slotted, or split, torque tubes were on the 3.0L cars (S2 and 968).
I think you're correct from what Constantine has said, but the part numbers in the PET are the same for all three major versions of the 944, I haven't checked the 968.

I honestly can't find a split in mine, which is an '89 S2. I'm going down to the shop later this afternoon and will report back.

So it seems it was a change in manufacturing process rather than specification and the older tubes (more properly called a "central tube") can be transplanted into the newer cars.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

I've also found a rebuilt ZF LSD for this car and an OEM transmission cooler so I plan to put in the new clutch, rebuilt torque tube & half axles, rebuilt transmission w/LSD, M030 sway bars (Lindsey Racing version) with poly race bushings from PowerFlex during this phase of the refresh.

I'm not putting coil overs in the rear yet, since I've never driven the car further that from the garage to the shop (maybe 100 feet), I want to get a feel for it before I really get into the suspension, but I figured the M030 bars were such a guaranteed safe bet I could do them now and the rubber bushings are completely shot so I had to do something to it before I could even drive it.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

My goal is to build a tribute Firehawk car with this project. I probably won't go to extremes on weight savings, not planning to strip the undercarriage sound proofing for example, but I will delete the A/C, power windows, door locks, security system, radio, and the rear seats at the very least. Probably replace the power sunroof with a light weight removable carbon panel. Power headlight delete for certain. Maybe lexan all around on the windows. Lightweight seats.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

You're welcome to come down and see the car if you feel like it BTW. It's up on the lift right now and the entire drive train is out of it, but it's still a pretty thing to look at I sent you my contact info in a PM the other day.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:28 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the invite. I'm so busy these days I have to put #2s into my daily planner....

Maybe the newer version of torque tube started in 1990, like the hoop wing.

The split/slot is easy to see. It should have a strip of reflective metal tape covering it. It's on the bottom at the front (with respect to how it's oriented in the car), about a foot or two in length. I can take a pic of my 968 tube if it helps.

I've never heard of anyone having issues with using a 944/951 TT in an S2 or 968. My 968 currently has a 951 torque tube. I read somewhere on Rennlist that the slot was introduced to help reduce vibrations. I haven't noticed a difference.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

The split/slot is easy to see. It should have a strip of reflective metal tape covering it. It's on the bottom at the front (with respect to how it's oriented in the car), about a foot or two in length.
Found it. It's invisible now since I spun the TT 180 to get it back off the clutch, but I can feel the slot. For a bit I was hoping I got lucky.
I wonder why the tube can't be sealed up with a wrap of carbon fiber epoxy or a weld?
Old 02-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

On the upside, my driveshaft splines look great ...
Old 02-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the invite. I'm so busy these days I have to put #2s into my daily planner....
For the past six months I've been experiencing the joys of retirement. Now all I have to do is research and purchase Porsche parts, tear old parts out, put new parts in, and wait for the next track day. In the meantime I organize contractors to repair roof leaks and aging barn doors. On my off days I visit my doctor and shop for food ...
Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The guy who rebuilds TT on the east coast (He's in GA, but was in FL) and will only rebuild solid tubes as he says the center bearing can "walk" around in the split ones. Just sharing what I have heard.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:08 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by por944s2
The guy who rebuilds TT on the east coast (He's in GA, but was in FL) and will only rebuild solid tubes as he says the center bearing can "walk" around in the split ones. Just sharing what I have heard.
The guy you're talking about is Constantine I think, he's the one who produces the "SuperBearing" for the 944 and he's the one who's counseled me to locate a solid tube before I try rebuilding mine. I've found a couple out here on the west coast, FRPorscheMan, another rennlister, has one he's willing to part with but his schedule is hectic so we're trying to work something out. There's also a nearby wrecking yard that thinks they might have one I could use.

It will be at least three weeks before I get my transmission work done so the TT isn't really the long pole, though it's funny the way things you think are going to be easy suddenly turn and bite you on the butt during projects like this This will be my first experience with the 944. I've restored a 914, a 924 and a 928, never touched a 944 before this. The car is in great condition, I bought it last year from a fellow in Sarasota, it appears to have been a garage queen. It's almost too nice to turn into a track car.

So you have #51? I'm planning a Firehawk tribute with this build so any information you have on hand about the original specs for that car would be very much appreciated, especially books or original factory parts lists? Thanks for joining the conversation!

I've already ordered a Lindsey Racing M030 front/rear sway bar package and sourced a ZF LSD through Dimi along with an OEM transmission cooler. I know there are more contemporary LSDs available for the car, but I honestly would like to know what the '91 Firehawk cars felt like to drive before I do anything radical to it. I haven't got the entire suspension planned yet, but I needed to replace all the rotted rubber bushings before I can even drive it to the supermarket so I decided to do the M030 upgrade more or less blind.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:27 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Found it. It's invisible now since I spun the TT 180 to get it back off the clutch, but I can feel the slot. For a bit I was hoping I got lucky.
I wonder why the tube can't be sealed up with a wrap of carbon fiber epoxy or a weld?
I remember reading somewhere (I think from someone very knowledgeable here on Rennlist) that welding is the way to go... it's not straightforward, there are couple reinforcements that must be added. IMHO easier to find a solid TT from a parts car.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:29 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Constantine

About $150.00 each way.
Where are you locating in GA? Maybe I can round up a few tube for interested rennlisters and drive them down to save one leg of the freight. Might help defray the cost of me doing one at the same time.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Where are you locating in GA? Maybe I can round up a few tube for interested rennlisters and drive them down to save one leg of the freight. Might help defray the cost of me doing one at the same time.
Scoundrel Rogue! Profiteer!

So, where do I sign up for this project...
Old 03-03-2015, 09:23 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic

Scoundrel Rogue! Profiteer!

So, where do I sign up for this project...
Scoundrel.....check
Rogue.......rarely
Profiteer......ha!

I have given away so many parts to fellow racers and rennlisters to keep these cars alive, hardly, I'm not even a "breakeveneer"

Let's see where he's locating first, might not be logical yet.

Quick Reply: Solid Torque Tube?