Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 04:03 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I can tell you that a $3k budget to build the car isn't going to come close. Again, it depends on whether or not you are doing 100% of your own work or not as well. For instance, clutch and timing belt/waterpump at a shop just ate your $3k. And you haven't touched refreshing the suspension, bushings, brakes, wheel bearings, axles, ball joints, and whatever else items may need attention. $3k in parts and doing your all your own work seems a little more reasonable into getting a 25 year old car HPDE ready (and i'm not talking built race car ready).

It is always cheaper to buy a built race car than to build one yourself. Race cars always sell for pennies on the dollar spent building them.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:15 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

Like Doc says ...
I paid 9K for my car which had two PO's and i still ended up investing another 6K last season to bring it up to my standards.The previous owner told me he was into the car for 30K,the engine build sheet alone was 13K from RPM ...

Spend the money up front for somebody else's work,it will save you a lot of $$$,time and aggravation !

Cheers
Phil
Old 01-31-2015, 04:42 PM
Pcargo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Well I can tell you that a $3k budget to build the car isn't going to come close. Again, it depends on whether or not you are doing 100% of your own work or not as well. For instance, clutch and timing belt/waterpump at a shop just ate your $3k. And you haven't touched refreshing the suspension, bushings, brakes, wheel bearings, axles, ball joints, and whatever else items may need attention. $3k in parts and doing your all your own work seems a little more reasonable into getting a 25 year old car HPDE ready (and i'm not talking built race car ready).

It is always cheaper to buy a built race car than to build one yourself. Race cars always sell for pennies on the dollar spent building them.
I meant a 3K budget to purchase the car, I haven't established a budget for building yet. I plan to take it slow really slow, the plan is to purchase the car address any maintenance issues then run it identifying and upgrading weaknesses as I go. I don't plan on doing any HPDE for a while I need to get the driving down first lol For now this will be a fun hobby and could possibly turn into something more serious as time, experience and budget allow. Ideally I would like to buy a prepped 944 spec car I have been looking they are averaging about 9K, I have the money for it, but that is a bit too much of a commitment for something that I am barely getting into. Don't get me wrong looking at spec cars and prepped cars has got me going even more, but I just don't want to go bust before getting any track time. I do plan on turning all the wrenches myself with the exception of welding.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:04 PM
Pcargo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Like Doc says ...
I paid 9K for my car which had two PO's and i still ended up investing another 6K last season to bring it up to my standards.The previous owner told me he was into the car for 30K,the engine build sheet alone was 13K from RPM ...

Spend the money up front for somebody else's work,it will save you a lot of $$$,time and aggravation !

Cheers
Phil
That's the slippery slope I am afraid of. I don't want to buy a 9K car then have to through more money at it before even hitting the track.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:52 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

Well, I'm going to have to change my advice. You can't buy anything for 3K that won't need that and more to get it up to snuff. Been there done that. Loosing an entire weekend of fees when your car craps out in the first run session is no fun. Been there done that too. Just run your 996 for the first year and get your feet wet. It is a wonderful car to track. Knock on wood but it is very rare for someone in the beginners groups at PCA DEs to do serious damage (or any damage at all) to their cars. They don't tell you this when you show up but the instructors are all indoctrinated pretty heavily towards protecting the customer and his equipment at all costs. Get track insurance if you don't like the financial risk. Once you get hooked on "track crack" then lets talk again. Oh, I personally would invest in one of those head/neck restraints that doesn't require a full harness. I can't remember what they're called but the usuals will be able to fix you up. Lots of guys drive their street cars to DEs, have a great time, and drive home. It's still miles more fun and safer than doing it on the public highways.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:44 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
Well, I'm going to have to change my advice. You can't buy anything for 3K that won't need that and more to get it up to snuff. Been there done that. Loosing an entire weekend of fees when your car craps out in the first run session is no fun. Been there done that too. Just run your 996 for the first year and get your feet wet. It is a wonderful car to track. Knock on wood but it is very rare for someone in the beginners groups at PCA DEs to do serious damage (or any damage at all) to their cars. They don't tell you this when you show up but the instructors are all indoctrinated pretty heavily towards protecting the customer and his equipment at all costs. Get track insurance if you don't like the financial risk. Once you get hooked on "track crack" then lets talk again. Oh, I personally would invest in one of those head/neck restraints that doesn't require a full harness. I can't remember what they're called but the usuals will be able to fix you up. Lots of guys drive their street cars to DEs, have a great time, and drive home. It's still miles more fun and safer than doing it on the public highways.

This is good advice, especially about just getting HPDE insurance. That way you can get your feet wet, and get a better idea of if you want to continue DE, move into racing, etc. This will allow you to better pick a car to accomplish your goals once you have a better idea of what they are.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:19 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
I have never heard of early offset ali arms being a problem for anyone before. More expensive to replace vs early steel, more complicated to change the ball joint but never unsafe for the track?

More info on 944 control arms: https://www.facebook.com/highstrung44#

Race ready 944 for sale: http://forum.44cup.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2480
Old 02-23-2015, 01:24 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
I have never heard of early offset ali arms being a problem for anyone before. More expensive to replace vs early steel, more complicated to change the ball joint but never unsafe for the track?
Ball joints are the issue with the aluminum arms. Porsche does not recommend replacing worn ball joints, but rather buy a new arm. Very unsafe to use an aluminum arm with a rebuilt ball joint kit on track. Have seen many failures, and typically very soon after rebuild.

Quick Reply: Race car?