Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel injector wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injector wiring problem

I recently put another turbo in my car. Since getting it all back together every time I go over an expansion joint on a highway bridge or a bump the car cuts out for a split second. recently the car just died on me and I couldn't get it to start. eventually it did and I have not driven it since because I have not had time to check it out. A few weeks ago I tried starting it and it took forever to start. once it started it idled way under 800 rpms and would eventually stall. I put in new reference sensors a year ago along with Lindsey wires going right down to the ecu for the reference sensors. I just started it and starting hunting around the engine bay , jiggling stuff and when I jiggle or press on the fuel injector wire for the injector closest to the firewall the car dies. Its the one in the picture and if I push the wire like in the picture it dies. A few years back I cut off two of the fuel injector wire connectors and spliced in new connector from NAPA because the insulation on the injector wires had gotten hard and brittle and crumbled off causing some shorts and running problems. I am guessing I have the same problem on the other injector that has the original connector still. My question is if the insulation on the wire that I was pressing on is in fact crumbled away would that cause the car to die if the wire are shorting. just wondering if my problem might be something else.
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

I can't remember exactly where the insulation was cracked on the two connectors I replaced years ago, whether it was inside the rubber boot part of the connector or somewhere along the wire. I just cut open the boot on the possible connector that made the car die when I press on the wiring. Looks like I going to NAPA . might as well replace the two remaining connectors. hopefully this is what the problem is.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:29 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

forgot to add the pic... I started cutting the brown insulation off but didn't see any broken wires so I cut open the boot.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2014, 03:55 PM
michael2e
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently dealt with this. Intermittent missing for some time that I thought was ignition related which ended up being the fuel injector harness. Finally after replacing several ignition related components (that needed to be changed anyway) I decided to pull the fuel rail and watch the injectors spray. Moving the harness while cranking would intermittently cause all 4 injectors to quit firing! Replaced the harness with Lindsey's kit and problem solved. Easy to pull the rail and also lets you see the flow from each injector. My car is finally running smooth. Good luck and HTH
Old 11-15-2014, 05:33 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

+1 for the Lindsey injector harness. Get the one with the knock sensor harness while you're at it.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:50 AM
JacRyann
Racer

Originally Posted by Alpine951
forgot to add the pic... I started cutting the brown insulation off but didn't see any broken wires so I cut open the boot.
Looks like you found the problem. I just cut off 6-8" from the end and butt-splice in a new connector from NAPA like you did to the others. Even though crispy, the straight sections of the old harness are always OK, it's the bent sections at the end that gets cracked from being moved. I like the newer stye connector better, the spring-clip can be opened by fingers rather than needing to be pried out with some picking tool:

NAPA - CRB 218457 Fuel Injector Connector $13

Quick Reply: fuel injector wiring problem