Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New S2, long drive, what to bring

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:41 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Default New S2, long drive, what to bring

Picking up a new to me S2 this week. Flying in and driving it home. About 700 miles. Any recommendations on what to bring. DME, can of fix-a-flat? Thanks for any suggestions.

Don
Old 09-27-2014, 11:36 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hard to say without any history about the car.

Jumper cables.
Fuses.
Spare DME relay.

Depending on how many keys you get for the car, make a copy or take the spare and keep it in your other pocket.

AAA card.

Any parts your bring with you will not be the ones that fail on the way home!
Old 09-27-2014, 11:37 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

AAA gold card, credit card, list of hotels en route, extra cell phone batteries, sleeping bag - just in case.

Have fun. I am envious. I miss my S2s
Old 09-28-2014, 12:03 AM
NM'87 951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yay roadtrip.

Audiobooks... audible is a good app. So is comedy central stand up channel.

some relays/fuses couldn't hurt and little extra wire just in case. some ductape, epoxy and some rubber patches for hoses, a basic set of wrenches/sockets.

Those pretty much sit in the boot all the time anyhow. AAA card and a friend on call is always a good replacement.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:19 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To many different things without information on the car..if it is in good shape you should be golden! Have a good walk around before you leave and enjoy the drive!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:27 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Set of metric wrenches
Some bailing wire
Fuses
Dme relay
Oil
Jug of antifreeze
Tire plug kit (better than fixaflat)
12v compressor
Make sure there is a functioning jack in the car
Jumper cables

If you'll be passing thru NJ.... PM me and I'll share my cell #... Just in case you need a hand
Old 09-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 96 Posts

Walking shoes
Enough cash for a good tow. They often claim their credit card machine has broken and that's a hassle.
DME relay jumper wire or known good spare
Jugs of water

Drive it a good 20-30 min before leaving the populated area.
Make sure it starts again when hot.
Test panic braking/ABS
Check all the lights, brake lights particularly.
Check the parking brake, will it roll away?
Check to make sure the doors can be locked and unlocked. If you have a spare key put it in a different pocket or on a lanyard. A spare key is easy to get, it's a common VW blank.
Make sure the windows go back up if you put them down.
Check to see if the accessory belt tensioner struts have been messed up before leaving. They break from improper tensioning and can fall off on long drives possibly leaving you with no alternator. A spare alternator/AC strut is not a bad idea to have along.
Check for inside edge tire wear in case they are already corded.

I have done this at least 5 times and always got home but I had some fun. My black 968, no AC, 100 degrees, put the windows up to make a phone call and could not get them back down. Free sauna I guess. My silver 928, no AC, heater valve stuck open, over 100 degrees. Got a clamp on the heater hose but it was still real hot. Previous owner had a warrant out on him so I got to chat with the local LEOs. Bought a van in Dallas in "great condition, fully inspected." Front end was so shot I could hardly keep it on the road and I almost stopped for tires in Kansas due to the wear but pressed on. AC was very weak too. Bought a Saab in NM and it blew up 60 miles into the trip, towed it back and eventually got my money back, minus half the tow and my plane fare. Rode home on the midnight Greyhound bus in grubby clothes with oil in my hair. I have had a couple drives with no problems though, one all the way back from South Florida and the only issue was a blown fuse for the 12v socket and no fuse diagram or mobile internet in those days. Radar detector inop for a day or so. Got pulled over for the temp tag not being visible under the rear tint. Sat for 30 min while the trooper tried to wake someone up who could run the VIN.

Have a good trip!
-Joel.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

AAA card is a must. Then your standard road trip stuff; phone charger, fix a flat is a good idea also. Also plan ahead a little on good places to make rest stops.. regardless of what i am driving i tend to zone out after driving more than 3-4 hours straight. Always good to stop and walk around a bit.

I used to carry a fairly large tool bag in the back of my 951 all the time, on longer trips i was practically carrying my entire tool collection with me. It got to the point where i realized realistically what could i fix on the side of the road... like i wasnt going to be retensioning a timing belt on the side of the NJ turnpike so i learned to stop worrying so much. Now if i travel more than an hour or so from home ill bring a small tool bag with me; metric wrench assortment, channel locks, vice grips, duct tape, wire connectors, 2 or 3 screw drivers, hose clamps, duct tape, extra vacuum tubing. I highly recommend bringing a tire plug kit, pair of dykes and a 12v compressor with you so you can fix minor flats on the side of the road without even taking the wheel off.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:19 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Condom, you just may get lucky lol

Jk. I think everyone covered it well. Maybe a flashlight.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:32 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by djantlive
Condom
What's that?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:15 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

admiralkhole, the last of the barebacks!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:49 AM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tripple square and check the CVs so you're not 30 min from home and have the thing come loose requiring laying in 40° rain while loading.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by psychoideas
admiralkhole, the last of the barebacks!
Haha YEAH BUDDY!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:51 AM
BikePilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have fun, I love fly and drive/ride road trips! I've done it many times for motorcycles and only once for a car. I'd budget time to go over the car in some detail before you leave. Maybe even locate a friendly local porsche shop that will let you put it on a lift and give it a detailed once-over. My only main concern would be that the timing belts be in good shape. As long as it checks out as generally in good shape and timing belts are within time/mileage specs, I'd strike off and have fun! Cash, at least 2x credit cards, and a AAA gold card are the key things to have.

Quick Reply: New S2, long drive, what to bring