Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no oil press on start up solved

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 05:55 PM
kevin12973
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no oil press on start up solved

Last year I was having no press on start up. Sometimes 3 seconds, sometimes as much as 20 seconds.BTW, car is track duty only. After checking all the advice on this forum I came across some debris in the bore of the OPRV. Put everything back together and has been great until a month ago. Started up and no press again, lifters clacking away as proof of the gauge indication. After 15 terrifying seconds it pumped up. Did it again when I got home. Pulled the OPRV and sure enough some crap in the bore and the piston of the 3 piece valve had some score markes. pulled out the debris out with my gun cleaning rod and pollished the piston smooth. Started it up and have oil press right away.
I believe the debris is excess sealant (brown) from around the lower crankcase. Is this an unusual problem? I think I should do a teardown,thorough cleaning and reseal over the winter to properly fix this issue.
Anyone else run into this? Would it be worth updating to the one piece OPRV? Any other thoughts. Thanks, Kevin
Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 PM
BCN
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, have similar symptoms but my OPRV checks out for me. Trying to diagnose a pick up tube crack without dropping pan.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:16 PM
kevin12973
Racer

I have read and tried over filling the crankcase to check for a cracked tube. If you haven't tried it yet, about 3 to 4 quarts is what I did. But dont run it like that for too long, just to confirm press then dump.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:19 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

Hey Kevin,

If I recall from a previous thread, the thinking was that the excess Locktite 546 disolves when exposed to oil. This would neatly solve the concern that you have that hardened Locktite (which is indeed brown) is sluffing off and finding its way to your OPRV. On the other hand, the Porsche shop manual suggests you put on a thin coat when prepping the girdle and oil pump surfaces. In other words, don't overdo it.

In previous threads some have mentioned a concern with the shelf life of the Locktite. I would agree that is a concern and it may be that Locktite that has aged out (or been exposed to excessive temps, see below) may not dissolve and/or behave as desired.

Referring to the Tech Sheet for Locktite 546 here:

http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/93789_574EN.pdf

The Tech Sheet specifies limits on storage temperatures for the product:

"Storage below 8 °C or greater than 28 °C can adversely affect product properties."

That works out to a range of 46 deg F to 82 deg F! Really? I can imagine that some of this product sees temps well above/below those numbers during shipping or storage in warehouses.

So for a track car, where issues at the track can and will ruin your weekend, it might be a good plan to break down the engine, clean out the oil passageways, and seal the girdle and oil pump as precisely as possible.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Take a piece of that debris and put it in some Seafoam in a bottle cap to see if it dissolves/liquifies.

If so, run Seafoam in your motor oil to liquify and flush out the crap in the crankcase. I'm not an avid user of Seafoam; read other threads and the print on the can for instructions.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:55 AM
kevin12973
Racer

Thanks for the sea foam tip. I will look into it for sure!

Quick Reply: no oil press on start up solved