Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I thought I finally had it....Stumbling Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by adrial
I was more so thinking about the wiring to the O2 sensor.

I think I have a narrowband a/f gauge that you can have for the price of shipping if you want it to check out what the o2 sensor is indicating.

I wouldn't worry about the routing of the ignition wires too much if you used OEM parts. Remember it runs fine at WOT...so you are chasing something that is only an issue when the ecu is reading the AFM and o2 sensor and you are asking for power.

On an N/A there shouldn't be too many places for vacuum leaks.. Is the idle screw still in the top of the throttle body? The o-ring can get old/brittle/leaky. Easy to check by putting your finger over the top of it.

Good luck
Yes, I had covered the throttle adjustment screw in the TB and pulled the screw out to verify the seals were good. I put a little lube on them and carefully re-inserted them. Today I'm going to use the propane approach to verify there are no vacuum leaks I may have missed. I'll also check the voltages on the O2 sensor to make sure I didn't get a bad one right out of the box. I agree with you regarding the ignition wires.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:30 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read through this thread again after seeing your newest thread and was thinking it must be either TPS or AFM wiring. I'm leaning towards AFM.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:37 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Originally Posted by konakat
I just read through this thread again after seeing your newest thread and was thinking it must be either TPS or AFM wiring. I'm leaning towards AFM.
Well, I did check the connections to the DME connector and they were good. If it's AFM, I'll have to look deeper into that. This has all been very puzzling. Good thing is that I'm learning a lot about my car I didn't already know.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:04 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by adrial
Don't underestimate the propensity for old wiring to drive you crazy ...
Or the power of the Force. Err, Porsche. Yes, the power of the Porsche. That's it.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:10 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Originally Posted by curtisr
Or the power of the Force. Err, Porsche. Yes, the power of the Porsche. That's it.
I like it......
Old 08-07-2014, 01:29 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Well, I did check the connections to the DME connector and they were good. If it's AFM, I'll have to look deeper into that. This has all been very puzzling. Good thing is that I'm learning a lot about my car I didn't already know.
I'm right there with you, brother. I've been fighting my dying issue for almost a year now, but I sure have learned a lot about the car. Now I'd really like to drive it...
Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Today I spent 2 hours working on fixing the power mirrors on a friend's 964. I confirmed the functionality of the mirrors, the hat switch, and the side selector switch. Finally I traced every wire and found a broken one in the door jamb rubber boot.
Did you check continuity of every wire to the DME plug?
Old 08-08-2014, 11:18 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Today I spent 2 hours working on fixing the power mirrors on a friend's 964. I confirmed the functionality of the mirrors, the hat switch, and the side selector switch. Finally I traced every wire and found a broken one in the door jamb rubber boot.
Did you check continuity of every wire to the DME plug?
Working on that today. I did check the pertinent lines a few months back but can't hurt to do it all again.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Kerry Chadderton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Triple 7, Did you find the problem?

I had the same symptoms on Wednesday after changing the AFM and DME for later year units. Each time the stumble came the AFR was way lean, in the 17:1 range. Changing throttle or WOT would clear it momentarily.

Turned out to be the AFM wires at the AFM connector even though they appeared good and I had cleaned all contactors during installation.

Quick Reply: I thought I finally had it....Stumbling Acceleration