Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment specs

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:15 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment specs

I'm going to be swapping some suspension parts in the near future and will need an alignment done afterwards.

In some of the research I've been doing into 944 suspension, I came across the Pasha Suspension Prep article, which I've seen referred to or referenced here. In that article, he makes a suggestion for alignment settings which are apparently different from the factory settings.

I'm looking for some feedback on Pasha's suggestions, if you've tried them, what your thoughts and opinions are, etc. The car is a daily driver, and I have no specific intent at this time on any kind of racing. However, I do like "spirited" driving, and I like to have fun on twisty back roads.

Article: http://www.924.org/techsection/Suspe...reparation.htm

Pasha's suggested settings for "any 924/944/968":
Front: 3/4°, 1/16" toe in, 3° caster (as close as can be adjusted, both side equal)
Rear: 1°, 1/16" toe in
Old 07-15-2014, 07:13 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

If you're just doing street driving, I'd stick to the stock alignment. If you're starting of with some DE, I'd suggest the stock with an extra 1/2 degree of negative camber at each wheel.

Note that the spec you have there doesn't include any camber angles...

If you do put in adjustable spring perches, then it's worth it to corner balance, too.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:24 AM
fred27
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3/4 and 1 degree are the camber values (the - negative sign was probably left out). Agree with what Van said for a daily driver those settings will work and you will get even tire wear and a bit of understeer if you decide on fun and spirited driving with those settings. For competition or the twisty back roads you could try 2 degrees negative at the front and 1 1/2 negative camber at the rear and see how you like it.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:12 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I wish we had twisty roads
Old 07-15-2014, 03:17 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Originally Posted by Van
If you're just doing street driving, I'd stick to the stock alignment. If you're starting of with some DE, I'd suggest the stock with an extra 1/2 degree of negative camber at each wheel.

Note that the spec you have there doesn't include any camber angles...

If you do put in adjustable spring perches, then it's worth it to corner balance, too.
What does "DE" mean?

What does "corner balance" mean?

Originally Posted by fred27
The 3/4 and 1 degree are the camber values (the - negative sign was probably left out). Agree with what Van said for a daily driver those settings will work and you will get even tire wear and a bit of understeer if you decide on fun and spirited driving with those settings. For competition or the twisty back roads you could try 2 degrees negative at the front and 1 1/2 negative camber at the rear and see how you like it.
When you say you agree with Van, do you mean about sticking to stock alignment specs, that that's what I should do?
Old 07-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

DE = Driver's Education = driving on the track with an instructor. Since you don't know what that means, you clearly don't do it, and should clearly should stick with the stock specs.

This should help about corner balancing: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=corner+balance+race+car
Old 07-15-2014, 04:30 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Originally Posted by Van
DE = Driver's Education = driving on the track with an instructor. Since you don't know what that means, you clearly don't do it, and should clearly should stick with the stock specs.

This should help about corner balancing: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=corner+balance+race+car
To correct, I didn't know what "DE" meant, but I do know what "driver's education" is and means. I just didn't know what the abbreviation was for; I thought it was for some specific type of race event, since the way I've seen some people talk about DE makes it seem like they do it frequently.

You are correct that I haven't done any driver's training yet, but I will.

I also see any kind of "you're not good enough for that" comment like what you just made to me as a challenge. Therefore, I'm going to go with the specs that a recognized and respected expert says are better than stock. Thanks for helping me choose.

I also recognize the "lmgtfy" domain and am not going to click that link. If you can't help without being a smartass, don't bother trying to help at all. Google isn't the only way to find answers. There's also conversation and discussion. You know, what this board is supposed to be about: discussion. I mean maybe you do that in real life, too, but whenever somebody asks me a question, I never tell them to look it up on google. I just act like a decent human being and answer the question as best I can. And just for the record, whenever I'm researching a topic, I usually do search in google also anyway, in addition to asking about it on forums. Helps to get a more complete answer, which just makes sense to me.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:49 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Really:

Van
Addict
Rennlist Member

JJR512
I cannot be bothered to pay but want you lot to answer all my questions.
I know the answers are in the manual but I'd rather bother you guys
I heard of Google but my fingers are tired.

Van didn't say anything derogatory to you. He is a well respected member here. His videos on YouTube have helped out everyone here. His knowledge is a credit to the community. And who exactly are you?

Last edited by MAGK944; 07-15-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:50 PM
JJR512
Instructor

I am well aware of what it says under Van's name on the left side of all his posts. I have read posts from him before, and generally consider him to be in the group of more knowledgeable and helpful members. I have also watched some of his videos on YouTube, and in fact I wish there were more of them.

And yet I stand by what I said earlier. Why? Because nobody's perfect. You say he didn't say anything derogatory toward me, and you are correct. But I did not accuse him of saying anything derogatory. I accused him of being a smartass. And although I did not say this in my previous post, I basically felt like I was being talked to like an idiot.

I have no problem admitting than when it comes to 944s, I'm pretty ignorant. But I'm not an idiot. There's a difference, and I'd be happy to explain it if you like, and if you ask me to, I'd even actually explain it, rather than simply linking you to a dictionary site.

I am here and on other 944-related sites to learn about 944s. I am here to correct my ignorance, not to be treated like an idiot. Just because I don't know what an abbreviation refers to doesn't mean I'm stupid or incompetent. It also doesn't mean I don't know what subject of the abbreviation is, or what it's for or about. Finally, it doesn't mean I've never done it. Yet all these things were assumed about me, just because I didn't know what the abbreviation meant.

Basically, this is a discussion site. The only information that exists here came in the form of people talking about it. If you search for something 944-related on Google (and probably other Porsche models as well, but I've never tried so cannot say for sure), there's a good chance this site will be one of the top results. But where would it be if every time somebody asked a question, the answer was "google it"? Nowhere. Google doesn't know anything, it just knows where the information is, and if people aren't actually discussing it on this discussion board, then there wouldn't be any information here at all.

So rest assured that if I ask a question, I'm probably asking it on more than one discussion board. I'm probably using the search feature as well, and I'm probably also googling it, too. But sometimes it really is simpler to just ask a question. And don't you dare tell me I'm wrong unless you've never once asked a question here in any of the 3.445 posts you've made in the last seven years and one month.

But I already know you've asked at least one question, because you just asked who exactly am I. Well guess what...if you want to know who I am, look me up on Google.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Originally Posted by MAGK944
JJR512
I cannot be bothered to pay but want you lot to answer all my questions.
I know the answers are in the manual but I'd rather bother you guys
I heard of Google but my fingers are tired.
Since you're putting words in my mouth, let me correct you where you've gone wrong.

"I cannot be bothered to pay but want you lot to answer all my questions." I don't believe I've ever once in my life said "you lot". Regardless, if you think I should pay you to answer my questions, send me your PayPal email address and I'll send you five bucks on Friday, how's that sound?

"I know the answers are in the manual but I'd rather bother you guys" I've never said anything even close to this. I don't know what's in any of the manuals. I don't even know which manual you're referring to. My car didn't come with an owner's manual (but I know I should really buy one, yes I'll admit I should've done that sooner). But maybe you've meant the "shop manuals" I've heard about. I don't know what's in there, but HERE is where your "I'm not going to pay for it" comment would be more accurate. I just saw someone post an ad for the complete set (I think on one of the other sites) for $399. It would be nice to have, but for my needs, not worth that much. If you want to call me a freeloader because I come here and ask questions for free rather than paying four hundred bucks for a set of manuals that I'd probably still have questions about after reading...then I'll take your pejorative appellation.

"I heard of Google but my fingers are tired." My fingers are just fine, even after searching both Google and multiple 944-related websites. Oh, but you thought that since I took offense at being told to Google it, that I don't use Google at all...as if there's some kind of logical connection from the fact to your conclusion. (That last sentence was full of sarcasm, in case you missed it.)

"Join Date: a month ago" My join date was last month but it was longer ago than "a month".
Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

First: Just chill dude, you are a new user asking newbie questions that have been answered a zillion times already and a lot of people here are giving you good advise regardless if you pay for membership or not, that's all good.

What's not good is sarcasm about an answer when someone asks you to search first. You can google or search this forum first and find all the answers real easy, it's just bad form not to.

... Suggest you get the factory manuals especially volume III if you plan to do all that work with struts and torsion bars.
Second: I gave you a link on your previous post where you can download the manuals for nothing but you seem to have ignored this. See, I've saved you $300 already!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:30 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJR512
send me your PayPal email address and I'll send you five bucks on Friday, how's that sound?
My PayPal is vsvenson@gmail.com

If you don't like Mike's link to the factory service manuals, you can also download them here: http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals_Original.htm
Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Second: I gave you a link on your previous post where you can download the manuals for nothing but you seem to have ignored this. See, I've saved you $300 already!
$399!

Sorry I did miss the link earlier.

Originally Posted by Van
My PayPal is vsvenson@gmail.com

If you don't like Mike's link to the factory service manuals, you can also download them here: http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals_Original.htm
Like I said to MAGK944, it'll be Friday... Pasha got paid for his contributions to Excellence, I think you deserve something (admittedly more than $5) for your contributions here.

Quick Reply: Alignment specs