Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Metal ticking and kicking around feel when cruising in 944 S2 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help: Metal ticking and kicking around feel when cruising in 944 S2 Cab

Hi everyone,

Hoping you can help me diagnose or somebody else may have experienced similar issue. Today I shifted into 2nd gear and held the revs maybe to about 5k rpm before shifting out. Right after that I heard like a thump and then metal clunking. Originally sounded like it was coming from the front center near firewall area from underneath, but my passenger insists that it's coming from the rear. After about 14 miles of driving seems to be coming from left side of vehicle. And it never does it when shifting, only when cruising in gear or cruising and in neutral. There can be a few minutes where there's no noise and then out of nowhere it can start clunking repetively. Do not recall it making any noise while parked/stopped. Car accelerates smooth and shifts smooth. But when I do hear the clunking noise I can feel it on the shift ****. It's like a kicking around feel. Doesn't happen as often as the ticking occurs.

Thanks again for feedback/advice!

-Dino

*EDIT
Here is the culprit, only two transaxle bolts holding in:

Last edited by Dino V; 05-10-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:38 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

interesting, possible engine/trans mount?
Old 05-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

I am thinking trans mount also, because if it was engine mount wouldn't I feel vibration especially on steering wheel?
Old 05-08-2014, 04:47 PM
dave1192
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repetitive clunking while cruising or coasting sounds like CV joint. If the CV joint shifts into and out of correct alignment due to partially worn bearings, the clunking would go away and come back. Mine did just that -- until the CV joint failed completely -- and I coasted (with continued clunking) to the side of the road.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dave1192
Repetitive clunking while cruising or coasting sounds like CV joint. If the CV joint shifts into and out of correct alignment due to partially worn bearings, the clunking would go away and come back. Mine did just that -- until the CV joint failed completely -- and I coasted (with continued clunking) to the side of the road.
Did you feel any difference in your steering? Because my steering wheel currently feels normal.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

So I drove car another 30 miles. Sometimes its just like "tin can" ticking around. And occassionally its partnered with like a kicking around sensation that I can feel through shifter. When that occurs feels almost like I ran over a giant rubber trash can type feel. Is this sign of bad trans mount causing torque tube to jump around? And then there could periods of like 7 miles and nothing not even a tick.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:02 AM
wheeldonwe
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking trans mount also
Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 129 Posts

It could be the clutch rubber center, does not quite fit the symptoms but it's worth considering. If you had the rubber centered clutch disk you could feel a lot of windup if you tried to drive off with the handbrake on. If it fails there are tabs that clunk without the rubber to take the strain. These do not last long.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
It could be the clutch rubber center, does not quite fit the symptoms but it's worth considering. If you had the rubber centered clutch disk you could feel a lot of windup if you tried to drive off with the handbrake on. If it fails there are tabs that clunk without the rubber to take the strain. These do not last long.
I thought about that originally but wouldn't it then be doing it all the time? Also, when clutching in and out, it behaves normal/feels normal. Wouldn't I notice a difference in shifting? Only occurs in instances when cruising or even coasting down the road.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:16 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino V
Did you feel any difference in your steering? Because my steering wheel currently feels normal.
There won't be any different feeling on the steering the Axle bearings are in the rear
Old 05-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lart951
There won't be any different feeling on the steering the Axle bearings are in the rear
Would there be any other symptoms? The car feels and drives normal other than that ticking/hitting noise, but doesn't do it all the time. For example, I drove 7 miles and nothing. Then drove 4 miles and did it 85% of time. Also, I noticed after let it sit, started it up, first gear began to slowly drive off and heard metal clunk. The rarer occassions are the violent kickaround/thumping which I can feel through the shifter. Out of the 50 miles I drove, did it maybe like 12 times. The sound/feel of that is similar to have a giant bulky plastic piece dragged and popped from underneath.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:14 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 276 Posts

Rubber center on the clutch disk. Easy to check. Pull the starter out and feel around the bell housing for bits of rubber.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Found the culprit! Left axle only had two bolts still holding it in place.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:16 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino V
Found the culprit! Left axle only had two bolts still holding it in place.
Wow well at least it's an easy/inexpensive fix.

Guess this should be added this to the list of things to eyeball whenever the car is on stands or a lift.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mhr
Wow well at least it's an easy/inexpensive fix.

Guess this should be added this to the list of things to eyeball whenever the car is on stands or a lift.
I am assuming it was aggrevated by the extreme cold winter this year and day I took it out it was 90 degrees. The one bolt was still tight while the other holding the safety pin was almost fully out. Got lucky, and so far doesn't seem like any other damage. I'll upload pic later, not working from my phone. Now just need to find transaxle bolts. The ticking was the safety pin that was spinning since it was hanging from one bolt.

Quick Reply: Help: Metal ticking and kicking around feel when cruising in 944 S2 Cab