Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranmission speedometer sender broke? WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tranmission speedometer sender broke? WTF??

The other night, my CV bolts must have backed out and I sheared 3 off, and bent the other 3 on my driver side. I replaced all the bolts with hardened hex cap bolts and lock washers. However when the shaft came loose, it somehow damaged my speed sensor on the transmission.

What part do I need to replace to get it working again? I assume its just this piece? http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...key_1105811567

Or do I need the other parts that sit below it in the transmission as well? Also, how do I remove it as it does not appear to be threaded? Also does anyone have a working, used one laying around? It is the same part number for all 86+ 944, S2, and turbos. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:05 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one in my trans that I'm not using, and as long as the one you have securely plugs the hole, you can have it.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

You're a homeboy Cale!!! Thanks buddy. Does anybody know how to remove these things? It looks like its a friction fit in the tranny.. grab it with vicegrips and yank? installation is reverse of removal?
Old 12-31-2013, 03:19 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if memory serves there is a bolt or clip that holds it in place, and inside there is a white plastic drive gear with a square shaft that drives it - the thing itself is a hall effect sensor that makes pulses for the trans. are you sure it's actually damaged and you can't just put it back? use a mirror if you have to to look into the hole
Old 12-31-2013, 03:48 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I guess there's no good way to convert to a cable-driven speedo/odometer... I'm pretty sure the electrical connections that go to other parts of the cluster are calibrated differently.

...but you could try anyway as a last resort
Old 01-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

So just coming back for more feedback from the RL brain trust. I replaced my sender with a new one (they thread into a bung in the tranny case)...still no love. My speedo is dead as ever, but something weird happened the other day. After driving for 2 weeks with the new sender and an ever dead speedo, I was entering onto the highway kind of aggressively and I noticed a little "blip" in my speedo, just a little jump of the needle like for one second, the impulse sender started reading. Then it went dead again. I got under the car, the wiring and the new sender are intact. This is really pissing me off, I would like to have a working speedo. Tips, solutions, ideas? Should I torch my car and claim insurance???
Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Is the sender fully inserted into the transaxle? Is the connector in good shape? Could be the damage you incurred also spread or damaged a contact in the plug-in connector. You might consider buying a replacement on ebay or here and replacing (soldering splice of the wires) the connector.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

It is a new sender, and today on the highway I looked down and noticed holy crap, my speedo was working again. As soon as that fact processed in my brain, it dropped back to zero for the remainder of my drive, so it is clearly an intermittent issue. I guess the problem could be in the connector, though it looked fine and I would think if it were damaged, it would not be an intermittent issue. Also, does the sender have to have a certain clearance above the little gear inside the tranny? In other words could it be too tight or too loose? Since the sender is also an oil seal for the tranny, I torqued it down as tight as I felt comfortable seeing as how its plastic. Does it need to be tighter, or possibly looser?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 PM
TurnerJ
Racer

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
It is a new sender, and today on the highway I looked down and noticed holy crap, my speedo was working again. As soon as that fact processed in my brain, it dropped back to zero for the remainder of my drive, so it is clearly an intermittent issue. I guess the problem could be in the connector, though it looked fine and I would think if it were damaged, it would not be an intermittent issue. Also, does the sender have to have a certain clearance above the little gear inside the tranny? In other words could it be too tight or too loose? Since the sender is also an oil seal for the tranny, I torqued it down as tight as I felt comfortable seeing as how its plastic. Does it need to be tighter, or possibly looser?
I got the saaaaame problem. My speedo had been intermittent for about a year and half and now remains at zero the whole time. I just checked, and the sender is still in there firmly.
Let me know if you figure it out.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have replaced two of those sensors due to damage. They should just screw in and work. But the wiring on these cars is so old, that there could be damage. Most likely near the connector on the speed sender. Pull the rubber casing just behind the plug back a bit and look at the wiring going into the plug. Frequently insulation has pulled back and there is a short.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:59 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Well, the speedo has been very inconsistent, sometime it works for hours at a time now so I am completely certain its a wiring issues that will be simple to fix, I just havn't had time to get under the car and look at it. I wanted to get some opinions, do you guys think getting a set of stage 8 locking CV bolts is worth it? They run about 120 bucks a set, but all my bolts were recently replaced with new 8.8 hardware and spring lock washers. Shouldn't that be sufficient?
Old 02-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Well I cleaned all the contacts on the sender and plug with contact cleaner and checked again to make sure there were no bent pins or weird looking wiring. Everything looks solid so I can't figure out why it isn't working. I'm going to get another sender, the replacement may be bad? If it still doesn't work the only thing left is the gauge (doubtful, since it stopped working right after my axle broke and took out my original sender), the little plastic gear for the sender that is driven off the pinion (also doubtful, these things can break and then the speedo simply doesnt work, an intermittent issue is not indicative of this type of failure) and the wiring (which seriously looks fine)
Old 02-02-2014, 04:06 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

this is a simple problem - take the sensor out of the trans. Take the white gear out of the trans. Put the square shaft from the gear into the sensor, turn on ignition (no need to start car), have friend watch while you spin the gear and if the speedo shows MPH, then the sensor and wiring are fine and you have a problem with the gear, which is what I suspect. here is a photo of the sensor and gear
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...fuxzt3onsg.jpg
Old 02-02-2014, 06:22 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Interesting! with respect to the gear, I thought it would either "work" or "not work." I'll have to inspect that. thanks for the tip.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:03 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Just wanted to post the resolution, the first replacement sender was no good. I put another one on and my speedo works perfectly now.

Quick Reply: Tranmission speedometer sender broke? WTF??