Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do to clean out my milkshaked motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 07:03 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do to clean out my milkshaked motor?

For those that don't know, I'm in the process of replacing the blown HG on my 951. The motor is filled with the standard milkshake of coolant and oil in both coolant and oil resevoirs. I think I heard running a solution of dishwasher detergent and water through the radiator, engine coolant passages, hoses, etc. to get the oil out works well. This sound right?

What about the oiled parts of the motor? I've heard that running a couple gallons of diesel fuel through the engine can clean it up real good...any other suggestions? Thx.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

ribs i heard that too. but Diesel could strip the lubricant off some important parts. If your motor is completely apart i'd say run it through the block with a high pressured mechanism. i hear even simple green works too. Sorry to hear about your engine. I had 2 milkshakes happen to me.

Good Luck!

Old 07-22-2003, 04:59 AM
who1
Advanced

I would think that a normal flush of the cooling system (maybe including spraying the garden hose into any hoses you can pull off--remember to open up the heater valve) would get most of that gunk out. Then I'd just put fresh oil and coolant in, run it for a few miles (10, 100?), remove and replace with new fluids again. Surely, that would get about everything out.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:18 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Ribs,

BTDT....

Engine - new oil filter, change the oil - bring the car up to temp and let it idle. Water turns to steam, remember? Change oil/filter - repeat...

Cooling System - DISHWASHER detergent. Do NOT use dish SOAP!!! Draing the cooling system, add a cup of low-sudsing dishwasher detergent to the resevior, fill. Run the car to bring to temp. Flush - repeat - then final flush - with the engine COOL - with a hose running into the resevior and release the water through the rad outlet...

HTH
Old 07-22-2003, 07:31 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is alot of work but.....

My current NA race motor was milk shaked...
When I bought my car I knew it had mixing problem. I pulled the motor and swapped it with another one. Eventually I needed the old motor. In my case I was not sure how long the milkshake happended and what the state of the insides were. So I fully dissassembled and hand cleaned everything and install all new bearings (rod & main bearings). I also installed a new oil cooler since I could not besure exaclty where the old one leaked although it could have been a HG.

Nothing was bad, but there was some minor corrosion on the crank and the piston rings where stuck. It was fixable and now runs A-ok and has no leaks. Sure it was alot of work, but worth it my case.

My biggest fear is that if you corrode the crank or bearings you can put it all back together and have it fail soon after. If you caught early it won't be that bad however.

My cleaning was a "worst case" type thing.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:32 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Thanks a lot guys. Looks like I'll have to wait until the head is back on to get the flushing of stuff going, so thats one less thing for me to do this weekend (I'll probably be doing the torsion bars this weekend as I'll be waiting for the head). Later...
Old 07-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Took 3 flushes of "Shout" and water to get mine back to nearly no oil gobs. I flushed and filled again a year later, never seen anything in the coolant since. It is a bear, but clean it out well. Oil staying in the cooling system for long periods will adversely impact the rubber parts (hoses).

Quick Reply: What should I do to clean out my milkshaked motor?