Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler adapter options for early series 944

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:09 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler adapter options for early series 944

Obviously the preferred method is to take the cooler adapter from a turbo motor and replace the water/oil cooler on a NA motor but it's hit or miss to find one and prices are varried too.

Also, I have an early(1984 era) motor, and from what I am told, that requires the cooler adapter from an 1986 turbo as that year had same block.

Reason for the post, a local shop is suggesting I go to an adapter that spins on in place of the oil filter, and then route the lines and new filter adapter on the fender where the windshield squirter resivor used to me. My concerns with this method is that it introduces more places for an oil leak(the orings on the adapter) and it then still uses the oil/water cooler which is a potential for leak. But, th spin on adapter is rather inexpensive compaired to a turbo block cooler adapter, and since it is AN fittings, I can use any cooler arrangement I want.

This is for my track only car.

So who'se done this ? How long you used it and what's your opinions ?

I'm almost half tempted to see if there is a way to machine an adapter plate, however, since the oil pressure reliefe valve is there, that makes it tricky to try and modify the oem arrangement of those parts.

Tom
Old 11-22-2010, 02:28 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know what the stock setup looks like, but are you asking about using an aftermarket oil cooler (air/oil) using aeroquip lines/fittings? This sounds like the better option to me. I switched to an aftermarket oil cooler (earls) as I could get one in a custom size that I wanted and would fit perfect in the location I had selected. I used all aeroquip fittings, and was completed for a fraction of the cost of the stock oil cooler. (not a porsche) Used it for 10+ years. No leaks. The only part of this equation that I am unfamiliar with is what do you attach it to on the block side, but I am sure something can be made to work if it is not available as a conversion part/kit.
Plenty of room in front of the rad area or infront of the front wheel area. You don't need a very large cooler.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:34 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I'm talking about possibly using a spin on oil cooler adpater, that goes in place of the oil filter and then routes to a remote oil filter plate and to an external cooler(yes, air cooled oil cooler).

Tom
Old 11-22-2010, 02:41 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Ahhh yes. I understand what you mean. Yes I have used the relocators and dual filter relocators in the past (street and autoX) I did not use the hoses and fittings that came with some kits. I went straight to the aeroquip stuff to offer better insurance (peace of mind) Not all that expensive compared to years ago. Also much easier to route, and easier to cut and fit perfectly.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:46 PM
kobayashi
Rennlist Member

Just went the cheap route for my first race car build. Got a used Mocal sandwich plate and then ordered hose/fillings from http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/. Stuff was very reasonable. First time for that website, but have ordered from their silicone fittings website.

I was thinking of going the turbo cooler way, but got a good deal on the used sandwich plate. I was also a little worried about the alignment tool for the oil cooler housing.

What are you going to be running in next year?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:53 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Plan to run with the NASA Great Lakes region, in either 44 spec or GTS1(still on the fence as to which class).

Tom
Old 11-22-2010, 02:57 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

look at BAT ...they'll have everything you need....

http://www.batinc.net/porsche.htm

They are very helpful if you need to call them. Fixed me up perfectly.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:59 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

...and BTW you have to race with us in GTS 1 next year!
Old 11-22-2010, 03:02 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Tom,
You can get the oil cooler sandwich plate pretty cheap and then route to an external cooler. I had one I just sold last week. The other alternative is to do as you say and use a turbo console. I have never heard of having to get a specifi year as you mention.
However, the sandwich plate plate provides the desired cooling, but does not eliminate the failure point of the oil/water seperator on the NA.
Keep your eye out and go with the factory turbo set-up. You can duct to the turbo cooler for a while and then change to AN lines and an external aftermarket down the road if you want to save some money. i mount mine to the radiator.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

i put the 944 turbo oil filter mount on my car and connected it to a mercedes oil cooler. i dont think id use a sandwich plate because of the leak potential plus the closer location to the exhaust...the 951 plate is low enough that it wont get too much radiated heat.

i was having serious oil pressure problems earlier this year because temps from about february-october are 90+, with it getting to the 110's in the summer months. i put the HUGE oil cooler on the front under the bumper and the problems went away
Old 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Thanks Brant,
I called Bat and got the scoop on their adapters, but still thinking my preference is to replace the oil/water cooler with a turbo type setup. Will keep surfing the ebay for a used one.

Tom
Old 11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
GaryM05
Advanced

In addition to eBay for the 951 oil filter mount/adapter, you could also post a WTB ad here and on the Pelican board. That's what I did a few years ago, and got flooded with responses.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

give John at ApartAbove a call...he may have the 951 oil filter mount...
Old 11-22-2010, 08:48 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Sent you an eMail Tommy Boy
Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

And I sent you a reply Mr. Wire 2 Wire race'n ! Thanks !!!!

Tom

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler adapter options for early series 944