Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pressure plate bolts allen head? '89 944 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 04:01 PM
who1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Pressure plate bolts allen head? '89 944 2.7

I've been searching the archives but not turning up much. I'm starting to do the ol' clutch job on my 944. I removed the starter and found allen head pressure plate bolts. I've been reading all about the cheese-head bolts that should be there. Are these original by chance? Can I reuse them? I bought the car with 44k on it. It doesn't seem like it would have had the clutch replaced on it in that short a time. I have 75k on it now and the rubber center finally disentegrated.

Thanks,
dB
Old 03-24-2003, 04:58 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Typically, the flywheel bolts are one-time use only because they are so torque critical. Many reuse them.

If they are Allen heads, then they are not original.

Good Luck!
Old 03-24-2003, 05:06 PM
who1
Advanced

Thanks. Do you think it's ok to either stick with the old allen-heads or even by new allen-heads to make the job easier next time?
Old 03-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm not sure I would describe using Allens as easier - though, I'm assuming you are saying you do_not have the tool - the triple-square heads are designed to receive torque better than Allen heads are. But yes, you can use either. I can't specifically recommend the use of used bolts in any case.

Skip
Old 03-25-2003, 08:49 AM
who1
Advanced

I wasn't sure if these bolts were of the "stretch" type that shouldn't be reused or not. Like the head bolts in Audis are stretch bolts which intentionally stretch when torqued to hold the head and I know they shouldn't be reused. I just never saw any description of the pressure plate and flywheel bolts being the stretch type, so I thought they might be reusable.

As far as triple-squares go, I've taken a few CV joints off with these things. They scare me some. It seems like the tool has to have such an extremely tight fit to make it strip proof. I know that allen head bolts can round out, too, for the same reason. I take it, though, that someone had done a clutch job within the first 44,000 miles in the life of my car, which seems rather soon. If so, I have a feeling the local Porsche dealer did the work, so they thought it wise to use allen-head bolts. Either way, I'll order new bolts and take what I get. I don't worry so much about tightening a new bolt, but having to get out the next time (if there is a next time.

Thanks,
dB
Old 03-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That does seem a little soon for a clutch job, but there are three common reasons it could happen:

- the PO abused the clutch, and actually wore the friction surface off.
- the age deterioration of the rubber center took its toll early in life.
- the heater valve blew gushing fluid all over the clutch.

Skip

Quick Reply: Pressure plate bolts allen head? '89 944 2.7