Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reupholstery few simple diys.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 04:25 PM
frexe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reupholstery few simple diys.

Note- I am only a diy guy not a upholstery guy. All the stuff below I have done and tried myself. And the knowledge was from reading tons and tons of different forums.

I vinyled the dash, headliner(center console next) this was fairly quick and easy using vinyl I got from joans for about 20$ for like 3 yards this was more then enough for the dash and headliner. I also made 3 shiftboots out of the remaining vinyl. I was too frugal to buy a digital camera, but I will loan one soon and perhaps make a diy when i redo my dash again(the vinyl on there was creased in a few areas due to the lady folding the vinyl and placing it in a plastic bag... Make sure if you buy it they roll the vinyl up for you instead.) Anyways simple quick diy if anyone wants to try.

Note to make vinyl very stretchy apply MEK(use this in a very well ventilated area as this stuff is VERY strong) to the back of the vinyl careful not getting it onto the vinyl side as this stuff is very "strong". Once applied wait a few seconds and begin trying to rip off the backing on the vinyl by peeling in the corner. It should peel off very easily. After peeled set vinyl on a table (use a table cloth or something so ur table wont get messed up) put paper weights on each corner as the vinyl will try to curl up. And allow the vinyl to completely dry.. might take a day or overnight.. but hey you will end up with stretchy vinyl!

Materials/tools
Vinyl(with thin backing)
Razor
Siscors
3m Super77 (not very good but works I need to find a better adhesive; one brushed on perhaps..)

-Dash-
Sand dash lightly to smooth things out.
1.Simply place the large piece of vinyl over your dash covering all of it, make sure you push down on the creases and curves to make sure the vinyl will cover everything, cut excess vinyl off.
2. Remove long trim piece (the part furthest closest to the windshield) place the edge of the vinyl on to the edge of the dash (where the trim piece went)
carefully glue down the edge of the vinyl bout 1/2 inch you COULD use a staple gun to secure it down more just make sure you staple as close to the edge as possible so its not noticible.
3.Push down the vinyl to the dash and see if anyplace needs stretching later.
4. Spray super77 evenly on the part that you know not stick up
5. push down and use your hand to slide over the vinyl with pressure. stretch the vinyl in places that would be necessary.
6. The rest should be pretty self explanatory cut out the hole for the gauge cluster leaving enough vinyl to fold in a little (use the stock vinyl on the dash as a map and glue new vinyl over it basically)

Took me under an hour to do this, but this was my first time trying so there were little errors here and there, although I am confident that when i redo the vinyl again it will be close to flawless. Redoing it after I fix my suspention.

-Headliner-

Materials/tools
Pen
Old headliner(doesnt have to be perfect.)
Razor
Siscors
Vinyl.
Super77 (again isnt very good. I will find better stuff.
1.Use old vinyl as a template.
2.Trace old vinyl onto new vinyl leaving atleast 2 inches of vinyl of error. In otherwords trace bigger.(the old headliner could be stretched out and wont lay completely flat, I have tried to iron it flat and failed.)
3.Use the pannel either in the front or the back (the one that goes over the headliner. Use it to hold up one side of the headliner.
4.Use super 77 and glue vinyl to the ceiling. then go back and glue the one part that was held up by the pannels.
5. Use a razor to trim off the excess "2inch room for error"

-ShiftBoot-

Vinyl
sweing machine
pen
Old boot
siscors

1.Remove boot
2.Measure the diameter towards the on the top of the boot where the shifter goes in and the base of where the shifter goes.
3.Lay old boot out flat and trace onto vinyl.
4.Roll up the new boot like how the old boot should be use the measurements of the diameter to help you here
5.Sew up the boot like the stock sew over it a few times making sure the threads wont come apart.

so about 27$ in materials counting the glue and the vinyl. Other stuff most people should have at home. 27$ for revinyled dash, a few new shiftboots, and a new headliner.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:31 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

I love you.

I was considering redoing my whole interior with JoAnn vinyl...lol...and was wondering how to go about it. You are my saviour.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:56 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome. Some pictures would just make this even better.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:06 PM
KY944S
Instructor

+1 on the pictures.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 PM
frexe
Instructor

I will post pics of my current 1st try Note though the dash has some creases from the vinyl being folded.. and a few bubbles here and there because i did not sand the dash before, I forgot to do so. Oh and I need to find a better alternative adhesive, Im thinking of silicone glue. With better glue and new uncreased vinyl the dash would look brand new Im certain of that. Posting pictures tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

Does the vinyl sheet fit well against all the edges and contours of the dash? Or do you have to stretch it over each bend, etc?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:09 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the write-up! I'll be sure to give this a try next time the dash is out on the 944. On my first 944 I tried the fiberglass bondo method and it was a complete mess.

+1 on pics
Old 05-25-2007, 11:18 PM
frexe
Instructor

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Does the vinyl sheet fit well against all the edges and contours of the dash? Or do you have to stretch it over each bend, etc?
Yeah it fits pretty well you dont need anything to stretch the vinyl other than your hands. Just apply pressure and slide your hand over the vinyl to attach it smoothly to the dash. This is where the "better" adhesive comes in, I need to test out silicone glue it might work better than the super77(isnt strong enough to hold as well as it should).
Old 05-26-2007, 04:42 PM
jjjr944
Racer

3M "yellow glue" Top and Trim Adhesive 08046
I work for a small automotive mfgr. and go thru about a 5 gallon pail a day.
Unfortunately only avial. in the 5 gallon set-up.
Industrial adhesive for trim, dashes and any and all vinyl or leather work. Can be sprayed on or brushed on.
I do nothing but $100k to $250k cars and SUVs sent to EXTREME parts of the temp. spectrum (Middleast, Malaysia, Africa etc).
This is the stuff.

Jerry
jjjr944

Linky:
http://3m.hillas.com/pc-15379-1232-3...-per-case.aspx

And try the 3M site...
http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...-Adhesive.html
Old 05-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

+1 on the pics. Seeing the images may motivate me onto doing something of the same.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:19 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jjjr944
3M "yellow glue" Top and Trim Adhesive 08046
I work for a small automotive mfgr. and go thru about a 5 gallon pail a day.
Unfortunately only avial. in the 5 gallon set-up.
Industrial adhesive for trim, dashes and any and all vinyl or leather work. Can be sprayed on or brushed on.
I do nothing but $100k to $250k cars and SUVs sent to EXTREME parts of the temp. spectrum (Middleast, Malaysia, Africa etc).
This is the stuff.

Jerry
jjjr944

Linky:
http://3m.hillas.com/pc-15379-1232-3...-per-case.aspx

And try the 3M site...
http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...-Adhesive.html

+++1 So true. The right adhesive for a successful DIY project, especially dash, SR liner, and rear quarters is the most important thing. The 3M Super 77 spray stuff will not hold at all once it gets hot. My FIL drummed this into me. He's done work for George Barris, Boyd Coddington, and many of David Letterman's Porsche's so I trust his judgment on this aspect.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:17 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
On my first 944 I tried the fiberglass bondo method and it was a complete mess.
What went wrong? It would make a good DIY "what not to do" or "make sure you do this" guide

I can't decide whether to sell my car or redo the dash and other bits... finding that I don't have as much time as I want.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts

Jerry,
Long time. Hope all is well.

Question: Is the stuff in the pail much different than the spray? I did a few small jobs with the 3M spray. It dried like rubber cement.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:00 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any reason the same process couldn't be done with leather?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:41 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I redid the whole interior od my 60B Roadster years ago w/"Joann vinyl" and it turned out great. Even the dash shade over the instruments.

Quick Reply: Reupholstery few simple diys.