Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Tension by Feel

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Belt Tension by Feel

Hey guys, since I’m completely left dry without special tool 9201, and a Krikit that is a piece ‘o’ crap, I have no choice but to do tension by feel for this motor. I’ve attached some pictures below so maybe some of you experts can chime in about my belt tension here. The cam belt I can twist about 75-80 degrees, and the balance belt 90 degrees. Does this look ok to anyone, or will I have to retension both belts because the aluminum motor will expand when hot, causing stress on the belts based on the tension I’ve applied?

Old 02-06-2006, 07:11 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Always used the 90 degree method myself. Hasn't failed me yet. Lot of people do that although it is heresy to admit it.

Let me add my disclaimer: I neither endorse or denounce this method.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

The way I always did it was set it just loose enough so that it doesn't touch the plastic cover (to the right of your finders in the first pic) when you put tension on it.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:27 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Works for me.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good.

BUT... for the love of god, do something (masking tape, rag, etc.) to plug those holes! don't want dust/debris in the oil thingy...
Old 02-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can't get a belt gauge, take the car to a shop that has one. Shouldn't cost you more than a couple hundred bucks if that just to tension. It is not worth the risk of a $2,000 repair bill for bent valves. But that of course is your decision.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you feel like waiting a few days, I have a 9201 on the way. . .
Old 02-06-2006, 08:56 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks pretty good. T-belt might be a tag tight. Feel method requires that turn with little effort.

Also make sure you hand crank the engine around so that the belt develops a uniform tension.

I have done the feel method many times. Never used a "tool".
Old 02-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the twist method on my 951, and I used it on my 944 as well. That said, when I'm working on somebody else's car, I always make sure I have the right tools handy

It's ~90* for the cam belt, and ~110* for the balance shaft belt.
That used to be the only way to set belt tension, back in the day....
Old 02-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheStig
Hey guys, since I’m completely left dry without special tool 9201, and a Krikit that is a piece ‘o’ crap, I have no choice but to do tension by feel for this motor. I’ve attached some pictures below so maybe some of you experts can chime in about my belt tension here. The cam belt I can twist about 75-80 degrees, and the balance belt 90 degrees. Does this look ok to anyone, or will I have to retension both belts because the aluminum motor will expand when hot, causing stress on the belts based on the tension I’ve applied?
First off.........

Ya say the kriket is a "peice of crap"? Why do ya say this? Its just a "reference" tool. Not much different than that P9201 tool, ya know.

Second of all..........what makes you even begin to think anyone on here could begin to tell you if these pictures are the right "feel"? I laughed my ever loving butt off, when I saw this! You can't even begin to get a "feel" for doing these kinda things, unless you've done several belt checks, and had someone else (with the "feel") check it, and give their opinion, or have something like the "peice of crap" to check yourself against, and thus learn from there, thru experience. No "picture" is gonna tell ya, or teach ya crap for this. Who knows......ya might have a "gorrila grip" when twisting the belt. How would these pictures even begin to tell us that? I was looking for veins popping out in your hand, but then again, you might have deep vains not easily seen.

Third. You've got the idler roller on the cam and balance shaft belt, whilst doing this. Now.......just how much affect might this throw ya off on feel, or while using a gauge, like the kriket? Consistancy! Got to have consistancy............or your never gonna even get a........... "feel", cause it will NEVER be consistantly done the same way twice in a row.

Ya been reading Clark's garage? Are ya doing the counter 1.5 tooth back too, when checking the cambelt?

Not trying to **** ya off! Just making a few comments to get the juices/thoughts a flowing.

By the way, I have and use the kriket, and the optibelt tool myself. I refuse to pay that kind of money for a simple belt tension tool (REFERENCE TOOL). I've found for me (using the tools above as a reference), that I have a tendency to adjust belts a little on the tight side, even though I follow the instructions to the utmost. It still gets me in the ball park, and gives me something to "gauge" myself by.......my "feel".....that is, and I am begining to adjust, and learn accordingly (so far, without breaking any of my belts along the way!)

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:01 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

I use the feel method, but a slightly different one. I tighten it just enough so i cant turn the waterpump by hand. Ive done this on two different cars, and have plenty of miles on both, with no problems at all. Tools are for wussys.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero10
It's ~90* for the cam belt, and ~110* for the balance shaft belt. That used to be the only way to set belt tension, back in the day....
Hear hear. Always worked for me. Having said that, I have shredded belts for other reasons...
Old 02-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmporsche944
...........................Tools are for wussys.
Hehe!..........I could give ya lots of examples to counter this. I know of one fella, that NOW believes in torque wrenches, AFTER having his crankbolt come loose, fall out, and DESTROY the balance shaft gear, pulley, key, and the end of his crankshaft! He was lucky! It didn't break his cambelt along the way! I don't think he feels this way..........any longer........either! That is kinda an important item, also!

I know, its all in fun!
Old 02-07-2006, 03:51 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey, that 90 degree twist method works great, with me. Just be sure to do it when the chrome belt guide is removed.

Zach
Old 02-07-2006, 04:51 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First fo all, twisting 90 degrees should be done at the longest span, which is here for the timing belt:

Secondly, the 90 degree method would get you close enough to the accurate tension, you could be slightly tigher/slighter looser than required tension. If you are lucky, you would get it dead on.

As for the balance shaft, again, you should use the longest span, and twisting 90 degrees is too much tension anyways. The belt and rollers will wine, the balance shaft belt should be VERY loose, you'd think that it is about to slip.

Note: I use the Kriket all the time, works like a charm, even on the alternator/ac belt as well.

Quick Reply: Belt Tension by Feel