Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get to the sunroof drain tube?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 05:09 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to get to the sunroof drain tube?

Greetings,

My 87 951 always has a wet rear-right-passenger-carpet after heavy rain.

I believe my battery tray was not the problem. I jacked up the front of the car, carefully poured water on the battery tray, asked my buddy to look under the rear-right-passenger-carpet, and no water was going there. I also pulled out the front passenger carpet and did not see any trace of water going through it from the battery tray to the rear-right-passenger carpet area.

I also carefully checked the passenger door seal and the rear hatch seal, all dried and no traces of water.

I then poured some water from the passenger-side-sunroof-rear-drain-hole. I saw water dripped out under the car behind the right wheel, and I felt that the rear-passenger-carpet was a bit more wet.

I guess it might be the rear-right-passenger-side-sunroof-drain-hole is not plugged, but somehow may be there are cracks or leaks on the tube that leak small amount of rain water to the rear-right-passenger-carpet?

However, I don't know how to get to the rear-right-sunroof-drain-hole and its connecting tubes to confirm my guess.....

Is it easy to remove the interior and expose the drain tubes? Any tips on fixing (or repacing) the sunroof rear drain tube?

Any help would be appreciated

With best regards,
Old 01-06-2006, 09:26 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

pull the vinyl cover that is behind the sunroof, in front of the hatch. This should expose the hoses. While your in there you may want to GENTLY blow some compressed air through them to clean out anything that IS in there. Chances are the piece where the hose connects is cracked and leaks abit even though the hose is working.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:32 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, a base guitar string will be sufficiently long and stiff to drive through - again carefully - if you don't have compressed air.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:36 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can also use weed wacker line if you don't have any spare base guitar strings laying around.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:45 AM
elf89
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weed wacker line does a great job, but you may have to take it a step further.

The right rear sunroof drain is a bit more of a challenge because there is a 'T' connector to allow the fuel fill drain to connect to it. If you pull the hatch liner on the right side, you can see the tubes and connecter and carefully unhook the T if that's where the clog is.

That is where I found a screw from the sunroof that no strength of weed wacker line or guitar string could get through! Good luck!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Im not sure that a hole in the sunroof drain hose would pool water in the rear seat footwell. Is it the footwell carpet, or is it the rear door sill/inner quarter panel carpet?

The hose runs inside the roof frame and down inside the c-pillar and comes out along the top of the rear wheel well. If it is leaking, I think it would be dripping inbetween the outer quarterpanel and the fender apron. If the hose is loose at the top connection with the sunroof drain spout, the water would likely be dripping out from the roof liner seams.

Will the carpet get wet when the car is just sitting in the rain, or driven? There are a couple plugs/plates in the floor pan that are just sealed in. If they have popped out, water could be coming in from the bottom when driven in rain (?).

Last edited by Oddjob; 01-06-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:01 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

could be a bad sunroof seal too...dripping into the rear seat.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:20 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for all the inputs.

- The rear-passenger-carpet (where rear passenger' feet place) was wet when the car is parked under rain.
- I think I should check the sunroof seal too, which I haven't. Good point.
- I used Weed Wacker to go through the rear-right-sunroof-drain-hole. The Weed Wacker line can only go in for about 2 feet deep, then stuck. However, when I poured water in throught that drain hole, I could see water came out under the car behind the rear wheel. Does it mean my Weed Wacker stuck at the gas-filler-drain Y-connector?

I am so nervous to pull the headliner, and I am afraid to break anything. Do I need to glue the headliner back after I pull it?

Thank again, with best regards,
Old 01-06-2006, 05:24 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The headliner which is between the sunroof and the hatch is a single piece that is held in by screws. I think there are 6 or 7 screws. The screws are hidden under little plastic caps that pop off easily with a small screwdriver or pocket knife. No glue involved!

I have to investigate this same problem with my 944. I left it in the rain for 2 weeks and it accumulated like 3 gallons of water in the rear passenger footwell (the car was facing uphill) !!!

Quick Reply: How to get to the sunroof drain tube?