Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Satan Bolt" - Place Your Nominations. . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny, I slotted mine too...great minds.

I have two sets of ratcheting wrenches and I have yet to find a use for them.

I also suggest that some of you should build some 6mm allen sockets using a 3/8th drive socket and JB Weld. The turbo bolt you speak of becomes a piece of cake as do the hex bolts that are all over the car.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H

I also suggest that some of you should build some 6mm allen sockets using a 3/8th drive socket and JB Weld. The turbo bolt you speak of becomes a piece of cake as do the hex bolts that are all over the car.
i agree about teh ratcheting wrenches... They are always too bulky or need too much rotation to click backwards to actually work with those hard to reach bolts.. like the exhaust manifold (cast iron) nuts.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:52 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H

Really ? I love the ratcheting wrenches.

LOL, I made the JB weld Allen also.

I bought the Lindsey 3 piece cross-over so the turbo is a non issue now
Old 12-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Marajit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorites on the 944 NAs are the upper, driver's side clutch housing bolt, upper left central tube to bellhousing bolt and the transmission/torque-tube coupler bolts...so far.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Actually, thinkin' about it I think the WORST I've had to deal with is the wastegate bracket to torque tube bolt (upper one). I literally wasted an ENTIRE weekend putting that thing in. Literally about 12 man-hours of work for one, uno bolt.
I have to second this bolt. When I bought my car, it had a resonance rattle that the PPI mechanic diagnosed as a collapsed turbo down pipe. It turned out that the wastegate support bracket bolt was missing ant the bracket was loose enough to rattle. Many hours work to replace one bolt.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:58 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

for the time being...stupid header bolts that rust easily and cause the stud to back out and prevent you from getting better access as the pipe covers the area (can't use a socket or ratchet wrench)...good old 10 minutes to remove one bolt
Old 12-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Marajit
Instructor

Forgot to mention, along with all the 944 manuals I've examined, the fragile shift rod to transmission retaining bolt that DOES NOT GO ALL THE WAY INTO THE TRANSMISSION SHIFT ROD BECAUSE THERE IS ONLY A DIMPLE TO HOLD IT IN PLACE...

Ask me how I know
Old 12-07-2005, 02:46 PM
jenket944
Pro

Originally Posted by Legoland951
The turbo to downpipe bolts is BY FAR the most difficult on a consistent basis. Its practically impossible with the engine in the car and makes the dip stick bolt seem easy.
GREAT... I have the luck of looking forward to dealing with this one in the very near future. Damn crap I have to deal with to get the car emission legal... At least I'll have a 3" exhaust from the turbo all the way back when I'm done.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:48 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

I'd like to nominate the flywheel sensor bracket bolts. Man, is it ever tight back there. It sure doesn't help having big hands.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Big E
Racer

Flywheel sensor bolts, yes those are definitely terrible. That transmission shift rod coupling bolt came off twice on the S after we did the clutch and had the tranny rebuilt. First time, Dad had the car and was about 200 miles from home on vacation when it let go, so he fixed that in the parking lot. Second time was in the driveway, fortunately. He has since re-engineered that one, and no problems since.

I'd also like to sorta nominate the bolts holding the 16V cam cover on. These are not difficult by any means. However, there are like 15 of them at something like $15 each! When I did the tensioner pad, I planned on using all new hardware. The parts guy said the price was $15 on those bolts, I thought that wasn't too bad. Sensing my lack of understanding, he then said "No, that's $15 each." I reused the old bolts.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:14 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big E
Flywheel sensor bolts, yes those are definitely terrible. That transmission shift rod coupling bolt came off twice on the S after we did the clutch and had the tranny rebuilt. First time, Dad had the car and was about 200 miles from home on vacation when it let go, so he fixed that in the parking lot. Second time was in the driveway, fortunately. He has since re-engineered that one, and no problems since.

I'd also like to sorta nominate the bolts holding the 16V cam cover on. These are not difficult by any means. However, there are like 15 of them at something like $15 each! When I did the tensioner pad, I planned on using all new hardware. The parts guy said the price was $15 on those bolts, I thought that wasn't too bad. Sensing my lack of understanding, he then said "No, that's $15 each." I reused the old bolts.
Doesn't this bolt have a safety wire on it?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:57 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

The threaded door stay tabs, after you break the weld loose.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Marajit
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scootin159
Doesn't this bolt have a safety wire on it?
Indeed it calls for safety wire, but the problem is the myopic engineering involved in such a seeming vital fastener.

The bolt itself does not fit any threaded opening in the transmission shift rod but only partially engages a shallow dimple. Not knowing this small detail (not found in any manual I know of, nor commented by the experts) will inevitably cause one to attempt to screw the bolt all the way in, as reason would dictate, and end up shearing the head of the bolt, while the rest of its thread remains solidly lodged inside the intermediate shift rod.

Drilling this sucker out entails first removing the left transmission mount (on an '84) and assuming for a few miserable hours a position with your back upon your cold and hard garage floor in the middle of the night, which is impossible to describe in a few words. Knowing some Yoga helps, but not much.

Ended up drilling right through the transmission shift rod and " re-engineering" a through bolt.
Another elegant Third World fix.

Safety wire my ***...
Old 12-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Matt H
Race Director

It does not have a safety wire on it. It SHOULD have one. I did the same thing Marajit did on my first one, just sheared the bolt head straight off. On the next one I safety wired it to keep it from backing out.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Bolts that hold the speed / reference sensor bracket on. Both of mine are allen head and I own no tools that can extract them (between Allen head sockets and allen keys anyway). I guess the allen head socket + a flexible cable drive might get it if such a thing exists and can take whatever torque is holding the things in. But both of my sensors are new so there's probably no reason to get in there anyway.

Quick Reply: "Satan Bolt" - Place Your Nominations. . .