77 924 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 02:11 AM
Pword
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77 924 Questions

Hello everyone,

I found a 77 924 that has a body in pretty good shape, everything is there and in good shape. My questions would be as to the motor. It will turn over, but will not start. Seems to not be firing and the kid said something about not putting fuel accumulators back in it. If I can't get it to run again, what kind of options are there for replacement? If it is a simple ignition/fuel system problem and I can get it running pretty easy, what upgrades would you all recommend? Its pretty cheap considering the body condition and mainly its why I am looking to get it. Interior, well, it will need a little bit of love.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 09-15-2015, 03:06 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Phil, that '77 is pre-Motronic and runs on CIS [continuous injection system].

The fuel accumulator keeps pressure in the system to prevent [excessive] leak down between engine starts. On a 911, it's located in the engine compartment, driver side, next to the fuel filter, near the firewall. On a 924, I suspect it's near the fuel filter, which on a 944 is under the car near the fuel pump/tank.

Could be any number of neglected things contributing to that no-start...auxiliary air valve, cold start valve, fuel distributor, fuel pump, ignition cap/rotor, ignition coil, warm up regulator. Would be best to start from the beginning and identify what you have/don't have...compression, fuel, spark.

If you save this one from the crusher, make sure you post up some photos. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:04 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Pword
Hello everyone,

I found a 77 924 that has a body in pretty good shape, everything is there and in good shape. My questions would be as to the motor. It will turn over, but will not start. Seems to not be firing and the kid said something about not putting fuel accumulators back in it. If I can't get it to run again, what kind of options are there for replacement? If it is a simple ignition/fuel system problem and I can get it running pretty easy, what upgrades would you all recommend? Its pretty cheap considering the body condition and mainly its why I am looking to get it. Interior, well, it will need a little bit of love.

Thanks,
Phil
I had a '77! Lexan sunroof, Hirschmann mirrors, hafa spoiler--it was great.

You might get the help you need at 924board.org
Old 11-10-2015, 03:16 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If it is a simple ignition/fuel system problem and I can get it running pretty easy, what upgrades would you all recommend?
Thanks,
Phil
Quite optimistic IMO, there isn't much "simple" about these CIS fuel systems, but when they are sorted they are bulletproof.

Also there really are NO "kits" or aftermarket bolt on performance parts for these cars. 77 will have 95hp IIRC.. I think 77.5 gets the bigger valves or something like that..

As far as NA performance mods forget it..
But, these bottom ends can take a stupid amount of boost if you want to embark on a one off custom turbo/supercharger setup.

+1 924board.org
Old 11-17-2015, 10:56 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I found a 77 924 that has a body in pretty good shape, everything is there and in good shape.
Phil, how did this adventure turn out...did you end up adopting the orphaned 924?

BTW, do you still have your 951? How is she coming along?

Quick Reply: 77 924 Questions